I had lots of unusual uterine cramping this morning but kept using my new mantra, which is "it's only the progesterone."
But then I convinced myself that I ruined any chance of implantation because I ran for the bus this morning.
Ok, maybe jogging was more like it. For 3 minutes tops. At 6:20am when I left this morning, Boston was facing blizzard-like conditions.
And I *had* to get to work for an early meeting.
And I was walking in the snow when the bus came along and nearly passed me because I wasn't at a bus stop.
I almost panicked on the bus but reminded myself that 3 minutes of jogging does not equal strenuous activity, which I was instructed to avoid for three days.
The cramps came and went after that for a few hours, gradually decreasing in frequency. There was a heaviness in my uterus, too, that I experienced. But now they are both gone except for intermittent very mild cramps.
It was only the progesterone anyway, right?????
Every time I let myself think that this cycle might turn us into parents, I quickly plan for what I will do if it fails.
I tell myself that it would be no big deal to have to repeat the process. That maybe a frozen cycle will work. That ivf will work for us eventually.
In your opinion, are these mental tricks I am playing adequate coping mechanisms to prepare me for a failed cycle?
The problem is that, every time I tell myself that another cycle would not be a big deal, I think "but this might work."
These are the reasons I am hopeful:
*the entire cycle went incredibly well;
*my eggs were assessed as "top quality";
*Fira and Thira were enthusiastically rated as "beautiful;"
*The RE doing the procedure was incredibly optimistic that Fira and Thira would implant;
*Dr. Gentle is confident that this cycle will work, both because of the quality of Fira and Thira and because, in his words, "I am still young" so our chances of implantation are excellent;
*and, generally, my Re is confident that, because ICSI solved Mr. LIW's issue and the fertility meds solve mine, ivf will work for us.
These are the reasons I am doubtful:
*ivf is not an exact science;
*beautiful embryos do not necessarily develop into healthy babies;
*I know of other so-called perfect cycles that resulted in BFNs;
*IF has convinced me that having a baby is impossible;
*and, generally, I tend to expect the worst for myself.
I am actively soliciting your assvice here. Would you be hopeful if you were in my situation? Why or why not? And, if you would be, how would you manage it?
I guess what I am trying to get at is that I want to know if it is safe to hope....
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

14 comments:
It's always okay to hope or we wouldn't be here. I also think it is normal to prepare ourselves to be let down....
My fingers are crossed for F&T!!!
Oh the memories of the back and forth in my head after our IVF. Both of them.
You ALWAYS hope. Especially with such great news like yours, such wonderful embies.
You ALWAYS doubt, too. There's never a guarantee, and your head and heart know this and try to prepare one another.
It's normal is my point here~
I hope F&T make it and you have to drag their little assess to the grocery store, shopping mall, and everywhere else (0:
Of course you should be hopeful! I like to think as many positive thoughts as possible. Maybe it's my background in sports, but I'm a fan of positive imagry...just try to imagine those little embryos implanting safe and sound in your uterus.
And you have LOTS of good reasons to be hopeful.
I'm sure you didn't do any harm jogging. There are runners that have "oops" babies all the time, so it can't be that bad for them, eh?
Steph makes excellent points. Sometimes though, not often, but sometimes, I find that if I look into my heart or soul or whatever, I have an intuition so strong and clear that it feels exactly like knowledge.
I had lots of crampiness from progesterone - so I totally think that's normal.
I'll distract you when I can :)
BE HOPEFUL!!!!!!!! I will be hoping for you as well
I think you have every right to hope. If you do or don't hope, you will still be happy or sad depending on the results.
I think you have many reasons to be hopeful! Yay for F&T!
i think it is definitely okay to hope. how could you not? even if things went crappy with this transfer, you would still hold on to some hope, no? it's human. knowing that things went well, i think it's good to be hopeful, and the hopeful vibes can't hurt fira and thira, right?
Hell yeah you should hope!! This cycle has been GREAT so far.
But yeah, a BFP isn't a foregone conclusion. There will be doubt, as Steph said.
Balancing in that place between hope and realism... it's living in the moment. Be hopeful for TODAY. And tomorrow. Get through each day as best as you can. One step at a time, right?
(And no, let me comfort you by telling you that you can't screw up the embryos by running to catch a bus!)
Fingers crossed, my dear.
For what it's worth, I had a similar full-out sprint to get to a work meeting in my 2ww. I remember it vividly because I had the exact same thought--"what have I done?" It turns out, it didn't do anything bad.
So, I think it's okay to let hope on in. And I'll hope for you in the meantime! :-)
I think you can hope. And I will too.
I am sooo thrilled for you!
During my cycle last year, I was very hopeful and kept trying to stay positive, even though it was hard and at times, impossible.
But I did the best I could. That's all you can do...
At the same time, I also prepared for how to handle a BFN, I told myself we might have some frozen embies or could do another fresh cycle. Bottom line: I told myself as awful as it would be, I COULD handle it.
Again, easy to say, hard to do, but I wanted to think I could handle whatever came our way.
But saying that I do wish you ALL THE BEST and hope for some good news from you!
Looking at your cycle from my point of view - I am totally hopeful for a great outcome. It has all been better than perfect.
If it were me in the same situation, I wouldn't be as hopeful. It is a way of protecting yourself. As an outsider, looking at your stats, I think it is safe to be hopeful.
YOU HAVE EVERY REASON TO BE HOPEFUL.
i'm telling you...you had a more than textbook cycles, and textbook cycles end in...well, they end WELL.
holding my breath with you.
xoxoxo
Post a Comment