So, the tetrafire did me in. I have no doubt that the pre-ulcer that was identified in 2004 through an endoscopy is back with a vengeance. My guess is that it is a full-fledged ulcer now.
In 2004, following the diagnosis, I took a prescription medication that solved the problem. I took it when needed for the next couple of years. And then we started TTC and my OB recommended that I switch back to OTC meds b/c the prescribed meds are not safe in pregnancy. So, I did. And, for the most part, they worked.
A few months ago, I contemplated asking my PCP to prescribe something again. My stomach problems had gotten significantly worse, thereby exacerbating my IBS. But I just couldn't. I simply couldn't allow myself to put off ivf #1.
And now I am here. In horrible pain.
Yesterday, I could barely stand up. I know that walking after eating helps but it was excruciating. And I took as much Zan.tac as I could get away with. Nothing.
The burning had subsided a tiny bit this morning, but I decided to stay home and rest anyway - and continue to eat plain chicken and crackers. Well, it is a good thing that I did because it is worse again. And now I am nauseus, too. I can't figure out if eating helps or makes it worse. Eating used to help but now since I feel worse after eating breakfast....I am not so sure.
Mr. LIW tells me to go to the doctor, but I refuse to until I know the beta results, which I will receive on Friday afternoon. If I get a BFN, I will ask if taking a perscription med for a month before we move on to the next cycle is safe. If it is, then I will take it.
If I get a BFP, well, than I will ask my doctor what else I can take. I have consulted Dr. Google, of course, and all I have learned is what I already knew: eat "safe" foods and take meds. If the p-word, take Pep.cid and its cousins only. I am doing these things. It will heal, eventually.
Since the pre-ulcerative sores they found in 2004 were not a consequence of the bacteria that is thought to cause most ulcers, I am somewhat confident that the current damage is the same. Which is good. Because the antibiotics for the bacteria-based ulcer? Not safe in pregnancy.
Of course, if I get a BFN, then I could probably treat it. But I am kind of stuck until I know.
As long as I can get the pain down to a manageable level, I will be ok. I am used to stomach/intestinal pain. But this exceeds even the worst that I have dealt with since 2004. Maybe even worse than what I dealt with in 2004.
As for p symptoms, I still crave salty foods. Sweets continue to turn me off. Even milk kind of grosses me out, which is bizarre because I *heart* milk.
-Though the stomach pain is probably a complicating factor to all of this -
I believe that I feel the occassional cramp in my lower abdomen. Since the stomach pain is higher than that, I can be relatively confident that the cramps are coming from my uterus.
But I am starting to get discouraged. The ulcer situation is depressing me, I guess. And it is hard to believe that anything good could happen.
I can no longer dream of a yummy alcoholic drink on Friday night to console me if this cycle went south. There will be no beverages of that nature for a while, no matter what the result. So now dreams of omerpra.zole are what make me feel better.
I just can't help but be angry. There's no doubt in my mind that IF is one of the factors that has helped propel the damage to my stomach - and not only because of the tetracycline/tetrafire that I took for this cycle. Maybe the PIO is a factor as well? Who knows.
But it sucks. Had I gotten pregnant over a year ago, I wouldn't have to worry about being the p-word and struggling with an ulcer. Dr. Google tells me that most ulcers heal in pregnancy because the stomach produces less acid. But I know that the vitamins/folic acid will make it much worse in the meantime.
But, hey, I may get a BFN on Friday and this will all be moot.
How depressing, eh?
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

14 comments:
oh dear. that sounds just awful. just awful.i hope you get some good news on friday to make your week a bit better.
xoxo
i am demanding good news
Only good news will do. Could you have your beta a day or so earlier? I don't know how long your clinic makes you wait.
Hoping you feel better soon!
Uggg...I've got no assvice or anything, just I'm sorry you're in so much pain. And the limbo of waiting until your beta can't be helping either.
Hope the chicken and crackers starts to help a little bit. And whenever you want to bitch, I'm around ;)
Oh no. :( I'm sorry you're in so much pain, that sounds simply AWEFUL!
Bugger. Hope you feel better soon!
Wish there were something I could do to soothe your tummy and your mind...
Oh no!!! This just isn't fair! You have enough to deal with already.
I'm lodging an official complaint to the powers-that-be.
I hope you are able to find some comfort, somehow.
Take care, my friend.
That just sucks! Not that you didn't already have a lot going through your mind, but now this, too. So sorry. Glad you're able to take it easy for a few days and hope you get to feeling better soon~
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I hope you feel better!
oh no. this sounds so terrible. i'm so sorry you have to go through this. i'm sure it's compounded by 2ww anxiety too. poor boo! can you wrap yourself up in blankets until Friday?
i'm with the earlier commenter, fertilize me -- i too demand good news for you! you're more than due!
Could this be some kind of crazy symptom that this cycle worked? I sure hope so. Not that I wish you pain, but I think you know what I mean.
Your symptoms sound terrible - an ulcer on top of everything, ugh! I am hoping you get a BFP this Friday!!!!
I am so sorry for all the pain you're in. I hope you find some relief soon. And even more hope that it's in the form of a "here's your wonderful beta and some pg-safe medicine!"
Post a Comment