Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Egg Basket is Growing (and hope is, too!) *UPDATED*

Before I update my own situation, I wanted to let you know that I had dinner with ME and Steve last night.

ME's doing fantastic, under the circumstances. Her attitude is great - better than mine would be if I were on bed rest. She's understandably nervous about every little ache and pain - I know that I would be - so make sure you send her lots of comfort. Her next u/s is Thursday and I am holding my breath for her.

Maybe it's because my cycle is going well, or it's because I know a family who went through a similar (and successful!) triplet pregnancy, but I couldn't help but believe that the Three Amigos will be fine. Steve is absolutely beside himself with excitement - it's really adorable. And I was impressed by how unified Steve and ME are. I think this experience is strengthening their bond, which is wonderful.

ME looked beautiful and it was SO great to see her. It made me realize how much I missed her and how grateful I am that we are friends.

I look forward to holding her little ones this spring/summer! She has a long way to go until then so she is going to need all of our love and support. She's a wonderful person so she deserves it!!!

**********************************

I have to thank you for your positive comments about my appearance. All of you know that I have a shallow side and now you know that I am a sucker for compliments. :-)

Ok, if I thought that my ovaries ached the other day, I was mistaken.

Those suckers really ACHE now. Ever 5 seconds or so I feel a cramp. The cramps are not intense (luckily) but they are enough to feel uncomfortable.

And the heaviness. Sheesh. It's unbelievable.

I looked at my stomach in the shower this morning and was, in all honesty, horrified.

HA! Now I know what bloated *really* looks like.

I have been relatively lucky over the years. AF is largely unobtrusive. I had a couple of episodes of severe cramping that warranted two trips to the ER and a 9-month stint of BCPs in my 20s but, overall, I don't experience PMS.

Boy, do I now understand why women complain about bloating! (Yet another way that IF has taught me empathy.)

My ovaries must be HUGE.

Guess what today's total of follies over 10mm was.....

A whopping 16. I honestly can't believe it!

There are 7 on one side and 9 on the other.

The two largest follicles are 20mm, so my assumption is that retrieval will occur on Thursday. Or Friday at the latest. And then a transfer on Sunday or Monday.

Though I tend toward a pessimistic outlook where my life is concerned, how can I *not* be hopeful under these circumstances?

At least a few of these eggs will be good, right? And ICSI will make sure that at least a couple of them fertilize, right?

I realize that I am asking rhetorical questions here.

But now that I got all of that hope out on (virtual) paper, I can't help but think of the people who have perfect cycles that turn out to be unsuccessful. Producing follies is only one part of the complicated and unpredictable ivf puzzle.

Is it possible for me to have great hormone levels, respond well to all IF meds, but have poor-quality eggs?

I guess anything is possible but is it safe to believe that that scenario would be highly unlikely? That there's a *very* strong chance that my eggs are healthy?

Then again, Mr. LIW's morphology problem was "highly unlikely" as well. His volume is great and his motility is fine yet his morphology is, well, in the sh*tter.

Ok, I am making myself crazy now. I just need to celebrate the little successes as the come. My active ovaries may only be one part of the process but they are still something to celebrate.

And I keep telling myself that there are people - including a few bloggers - who have gotten pregnant off of ivf #1.

If low morphology is our only problem (since IF meds solve my problem), then ivf can work for us.

These are the questions that make me absolutely crazy these days, so I am just trying to focus on the positive and celebrate that my basket is full (and my ovaries are achy and heavy. Hell, my breasts are, too.)
*********************************
I just spoke to Dr. Gentle's nurse, let's call her GreatNurse, and egg retrieval is set for Thursday!!

She is so very nice, I always like talking to her, and she especially made me feel good today.

She said that my response was "remarkable" given the fact that I was on such a low dose of the gonadatropins. She *didn't* say "and for your age" but I inferred it. Because, you know, after a woman turns 35, she is more likely not to respond (I spent hours on Dr. Google this afternoon to try to manage my expectations.)

Trigger is tonight - yahoo!, only ONE injection instead of two - and tomorrow I get a day off from injections, u/s/ blood work, etc.

(How sad is that that that is one of the things that excites me??!!)

Egg retrieval is scheduled for 9am on Thursday, though we have to arrive at 8am.

I have to admit to you that I am E.X.C.I.T.E.D.

I didn't want to be this way. I wanted to remain nonchalant but I simply can't.

What enhanced my level of hope was what I found via my little research project this afternoon. The stats show that a greater number of eggs at retrieval DOES increase your chances of a successful cycle.

AND a strong response to the meds DOES suggest good egg quality.

I realize that none of these indicators are definitive but they are promising.

The only concern - IF wouldn't let me down by giving me only good news, would it? - is that GreatNurse told me to monitor myself for signs of OHSS within 4 or 5 days after the trigger shot.

My Estradiol levels are high - 3,631 - and, though they match what the u/s is showing (which makes Dr. Gentle not particularly worried), there is a chance that I could go into OHSS after the retrieval.

You know what my first thought was? "That's ok, because we should get a few frozen embies from this so, even if my ovaries need a resting period between cycles, we can move forward with an FET if this fresh cycle fails."

I have a sick mind, I tell you.

There was one thing that confused me, though, about our conversation. GreatNurse counted 15 follicles on the list, though it sounded like she counted them up really quickly. I guess it doesn't matter since, as ME pointed out, sometimes they get more than they anticipated. They could also get fewer as well. My hope is, of course, that they get more.

Let me tell you, the success rates for women who produce 20 eggs or more are unbelievable - even for women between the ages of 35 and 39.

Always the overachiever, I started begging those little achy creatures - aka ovaries - to do their THANG and make me some more eggs, damnit.

I am great at setting unrealistic goals, and this one is most likely an indication of that tendency.

Anyway, one step at a time. Trigger tonight at 9pm. Egg retrieval on Thursday at 9am. Transfer on Sunday (time TBD)

And, the hardest part of the entire process - THE BETA - which is tentatively set for January 25th, which is a Friday.

I hope they do the test on Friday - so that I don't have to wait until the following Monday.

And, if the cycle fails, I have the entire weekend to cry my eyes out (after only a few hours of work since they won't call me until the afternoon). Or throw the couch pillows. Or eat sushi and watch one of my shameful tv pleasures (anyone watch DeG.rassi?)

Alternatively, *maybe* I will be celebrating that weekend.

Nah, even if the beta is positive, I will be holding my breath (and praying to a god to which I don't believe) for a strong, second beta....

Please please please, send the universe good thoughts for me.....

21 comments:

Meghan said...

Sorry you're so bloated! But yeah for the u/s results! 16 is fantastic! Good luck with everything this week

niobe said...

I've seen many bloggers who got pregnant on their first IVF. And I'm crossing my fingers that you'll be another one to add to the list.

Waiting Amy said...

I say YEAH for bloating! Sixteen is fabulous! You have lots of reasons to be hopeful, and there are definitely those who get a positive the first time.

Here's hoping you are one of them!

Tara said...

I remember being at your stage and walking through my office and someone asked me if I had injured myself and was limping!? I felt so full and uncomfortable that it hurt in the overies with every step I took.

LIW, I know how hard it is to not get ahead of yourself and start thinking about the next stage, and the next and the next. It's so scary and exciting and emotional.

I want all the good you are hoping for to happen.

Samantha said...

You're on the right path, just keep that in mind. And bloating is definitely part of the territory!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Awwww. Alicia, you made me cry. You just earned yourself auntie status. ;-) 16 eggs is fabulous. They always got way more with me tan predicted. I hope it's the same for you. Much love to you.

Jen said...

Sixteen is a fabulous number! Yay! I know with us, we did ICSI and of our 17, they were able to ICSI 16 and 15 fertilized. So I have lots of faith in the process for you! Best of luck!

AwkwardMoments said...

ACK the heavy achy ovaries - so srry about that - but it does mean that there are good things happen in there. 16 WOW, fantastic job ovaries - you are making us proud, now continue to make us proud! Can't wait to hear when retreival is.

And who doesn't love a good compliment everyday ya'know!

Delenn said...

Nothing like Plump Ovaries! It took me 2 IVF's but, ICSC did indeed fertilize both IVFs...

Glad to hear ME is doing good. I hate to think of her on bedrest for so long! But, it will be worth it...

Good luck on your retrieval! (those numbers sound really good!)

E. Phantzi said...

Fabulous! Really rooting for you over here, best of luck in the coming days and weeks!!!!!

Unknown said...

Good luck!! Try not to drive yourself too crazy with the ifs. Everything sounds good so far, and that's the best start!

Anonymous said...

I think you might be part chicken. Your ovaries rock. I am glad you have responded so well. I am holding out hope that IVF # 1 is it for you.

Mandy said...

Wow! That's a lot of eggs! I had 11 and I felt like a stuffed turkey. And you are quite right to celebrate the little successes. It's the only way to stay sane!
Wishing you lots of success with this IVF, may it be the 1st and last that you need!

M said...

Best of luck for epu - here's hoping you're one of the lucky ones!

x

Natalie said...

I'm sorry about the bloating! I had 24 eggs retrieved my first cycle and "mild OHSS" afterwards, and it was very uncomfortable for a few days!! But having all those eggs growing is such a great thing! Can't wait to hear the news of the retrieval. :)

Serenity said...

Good luck sweetie! Fingers crossed for you!

A note - I had OHSS after my first retrieval too - we triggered when I was just over 5,100. TAKE IT EASY for the first few days, ok? You're going to be in pain, it's going to be hard to walk. Nice and slow.

And Gatorade helps a bit too.

Can't wait to hear the update!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Horray!! Good luck tomorrow!! So excited about your update!

Amanda said...

I'm sending tons and tons of good thoughts your way!!

Adriane said...

That's a lot of follies! WOW!! Wishing you the best of luck in your egg retrieval tomorrow!!!

BigP's Heather said...

Thinking of you - hope you have a great retrieval! Sounds like things are GREAT so far!!

Jen said...

Sending you lots of positive thoughts for the trigger and retrieval! Yay!