Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Better, but still strange *With quick update*

So, I wanted to punch a drug addict on the subway yesterday.

Before you decide that I am a terribly cruel person, please hear (read) me out.

I was on my way home after work. The PIO anger had gradually subsided into a dull presence by the afternoon. I did, however, come down with a bitch of a headache that was morphing into a migraine for sure. I took the 25-minute walk to the subway to which I have become accustomed instead of sitting on a bus that is stuck in traffic for 25 minutes. It was very cold out but I didn't care. I have come to look forward to these brisk walks, especially when I have a headache at the end of the day from sitting at a computer.

I was feeling the usual fatigue after a day at work when I got on the subway. There were only a few seats so I chose one that was 2 seats away from a woman that, well, looked *questionable.* But she didn't look violent or anything so I took my chances. Sitting down is preferable so that I can read my little book with relaxing sayings and meditation exercises.

The woman started speaking to everyone around her in a VERY LOUD VOICE. Asking each person for a dollar. And telling us we were heartless and that we should be ashamed of ourselves for being so cold-hearted.

I am not a professional expert on the signs and symptoms of drug intoxication. But as a seasoned Boston public transportation commuter, I consider myself to be savvy in this regard. Not to mention my previously-mentioned obsession with the show "Interv.ention."

It was somewhat clear to me that she was on drugs. Especially since, when she stood up, she was not exactly strongly rooted (even when the car was not in motion.) And she had a creepy look in her eyes the one time I made eye contact with her.

Then, THEN, she began to tell her story as to why she needed the money. Her sister and nephew are in Iraq serving this country. Her godson was in the military and was killed in Iran (??) She came to Boston from NYC to clean off his grave and to put flowers on it. Her change purse had been stolen or lost at the grave site. She needed $20 to catch the cheap bus back to NYC.

Her family gave their lives for us and our freedom, she said, so couldn't we spare a dollar?

Ok, so at this point, she is practically yelling in my ear. I was not about to give her any money. I learned from a professional who worked with the homeless years ago to never offer money. Food is fine (which I have done.) Or directions to a nearby shelter, also fine. Money could easily end up being used for self destruction. Since I used to work near a homeless shelter for veterans, I saw so many men kill themselves by gulping mouthwash in the morning in order to get rid of the shakes. In fact, even though I use mouthwash, I can't stand the smell of it for that reason.

Anyway, there was no way I was giving this woman any money. I wasn't falling for her act, particularly because she had what looked strangely like a change purse in her left hand. So I continued to listen to my iPo.d and tried to read my book about relaxing.

But then it got worse. And I started to get angry.

She went on and on about how heartless we all were. And, when one person gave in and slipped a dollar into her hand, she said, "oh great, one more dollar, I only have $18 more to go, which I won't get."

Then, THEN she said as she pointed to her stomach through her winter coat, "You see this? I am not fat, I am PREGNANT. And I am diabetic and out of insulin."

I nearly choked on tears at that moment.

I am *very* aware of my dark side. I have a cruel streak that is only really turned against myself. In fact, it is THE one way that I consistently interact with myself.

But I work incredibly hard not to subject others to what I do to myself. So much so that I have only recently been able to be honest with someone when I am angry at them.

I am also a very sensitive person. I worry about the fact that there are people who starve here and around the globe. That people are mistreated in sweatshops. That young girls in poor countries are sold as s.ex slaves. These factors DO worry me. And I have to talk myself through the fact that I do nothing right now to make any of it better. One of the main reasons I wanted that federal job so badly is because I wanted to learn the implementation side of policy in the hope that I could someday revamp an agency for the better.

But, BUT, BUT

Here is a woman who, if she were pregnant (and she did look it, though it was not immediately obvious because of her winter coat), was hurting her baby each and every day.

She's a drug addict yet was able to get knocked up.

While my *ss is becoming bruised from shots to try to make a pregnancy happen.

Not to mention all of the other trials and tribulations - psychological and physicial - that we endure in our attempts to conquer IF.

I know, I know that my feelings towards her were not loving and kind. She is clearly in a very bad place in her life and needs help. Who knows what she went through to bring her to that point.

But she was begging me, begging all of us, for money to shoot up (or snort or whatever) a substance that could destroy her child's chance at a normal life.

So, I wanted to punch her. But I didn't, of course. I didn't say or do anything yet I fantasized about it. I just breathed a sigh of relief when she left the train.

As for how I feel about my chances that ivf #1 was a success, well, that's more complicated......

I continue to experience uterine cramps intermittently throughout the day, some of them relatively intense, others are more like a heaviness of sorts. I experience the taste of food more intensely - flavors are sharper somehow. I crave both salt and liquids simultaneously. And, more strangely, I have been, well, having discharge, which is perfectly clear yet somewhat plentiful. I actually sense it sometimes when I am in the middle of doing something else. Weird.

All of these symptoms could be and are *probably* side effects from the progesterone, though they are not the ones listed on the websites I have consulted.

The only symptom that I have that is routinely listed is depression. I am not depressed but I feel some of the features that come along with it. For example, if I am close to depressed, I begin to feel like everyone is judging me negatively. It makes me a bit more socially anxious. But I now know how to manage it by reminding myself that this is my perception and to focus more on how people are behaving towards me.

I am ok, really, about this cycle if it fails. I learned yesterday that Fira and Thira's two siblings were frozen on Sunday so we can do a frozen cycle if this one fails. I am fully expecting to have to use those embies. One of the reasons I am tracking my symptoms here is because I want to know how I feel during a failed cycle in order to compare it to future cycles.

I think I have obtained the "cautious optimism" that I was advised to shoot for by the Center.

******************************************
Ok, dear friends.

I *know* that this could be from the progesterone but....

BUT.....

Rhythmic cramps on the left side of my uterus. Pretty intense. Have been going on for 20 minutes or more - at least in a fashion that is rhythmic enough for me to recognize.

(I have been experiencing cramps all day, and somewhat frequently, just not as strongly and frequently in a such short period of time.)

At first I assumed that it was my intestines since I have upped my dose of foli.c acid (and we KNOW that my intestines go on strike when I take vitamins.) But it doesn't feel like that at all.

And it is NOT my stomach. I know it.

Ok, now that I write about it they have subsided somewhat.

Maybe they are the result of intestines refusing to work and a stomach that continues to recover from the fire balls known as tetracy.cline.

I remain cautiously optimistic, for sure.

(How could I not?)

13 comments:

niobe said...

What a horrible story. The only comforting thing is that her claim she was pregnant was probably also a lie designed to get more money.

Happy said...

I've been there (I too am a public transportation commuter). Everyday they ask for money as I'm walking TO and FROM work. Should you really beg people when they're going to that crappy dead end job to try and earn a buck? I have offered to buy food and they almost never take me up on it. Only once did someone agree to a cup of coffee (I was on my way into Starbucks). I can't tell you how many times I have raged to my husband and said that if I was homeless or a drug addict I bet I'd get pregnant.

Amanda said...

Oh, I feel your pain. I actually did break down and give a women on the street a dollar once and she said... "a dollar? that's all. I gotta pay rent."

And, I too, am cautiously optimistic for you :-)

Waiting Amy said...

Sitting here cautiously optimistic for you! How many more days to go?

Sorry your commute was so full of drama. While I wish I was doing more to help the world, like you I'm committing to do more substantial things in the near future. Don't feel bad, it will matter.

Dr. Grumbles said...

OK, now I want you to be pregnant EVEN MORE than I did before just so you can somehow make up for the fact that that woman's pregnancy exists. Poor kid...if it even makes it to viability.

I used to be a substance abuse tech...VERY briefly. I hated it. One client was mentally retarded, addicted, AND 5 months pregnant. I wasn't trying then, but it still made me angry.

AwkwardMoments said...

that is just rough subjectivity! I am glad that you didn't punch her..i may have. I will be cautiously optimistic for you also

megan said...

i am cautiously optimistic for you too, miss. it's all crossed over here for you.

eek. what a terrible commute you had yesterday. it's hard not to be angry when encountered with a situation like that. what i've tried to do (not always successfully, mind you) is to remind myself how lucky i really am (lucky pregnancy aside -- i did this before i was lucky in that arena!). it's amazing to me how realizing that it's lucky to have a house, loving people around me, a job, food, NOT to be addicted to any harmful substances etc. can really make me feel better.

god, i sound ridiculous up there. i'm not trying to be preachy, or trying to discount your anger in at all. i know it's real and i know how it can hurt to see someone who has something you want so much doing dangerous things to their body. it sucks and is simply unfair. i just wanted to tell you how i deal with those types of situations in my head, that's all. . .

Anonymous said...

I hope Niobe is right - the pregnancy was a ploy.

Adriane said...

Ugh, that lady sounds horrible. (BTW, I am obsessed with Intervention, too!)

Hope your cramps go away, too!

christina(apronstrings) said...

i think niobe's right...she's lying.
when i see pregnant women smoking, etc....i always remind myself that "see, infertility is random. it's nothing that you have or haven't done."
i am sorry that you had to go thru that.
and, um, re the cramps...i had them about three weeks ago. and that's all i am going to say about *that.*

peesticksandstones said...

Yikes! I've had a few weird "urban" moments like that, too. And I also find myself have evil thoughts when I'm nursing some IF or miscarriage procedure-related wounds/side effects, riding the subway, and knowing no one would ever give me a seat. But if I were pregnant...

Hoping you've got some good news coming your way soon!

Mandy said...

There is a woman who stands at the entrance of the airport, claiming to be from the UN or something, clutching a baby in one hand and an asthma pump in the other. She says that her child is having an asthma attack, and she need taxi fair and money for a new pump. She has approached me on 2 or 3 occassions, and each time the baby has been quiet and content. I have to wonder sometimes too.
BUT!
You need to... I'm gonna say it... RELAX! so that this thing can work out for you. Holding thumbs!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I detest those moments where the injustice of infertility is right in your face. I had a major dark-night-of-the soul over a similar situation. God and I have yet to fully made up about this.

LIW, thinking of you during this 2ww. I like the names you've picked. Remind me of my honeymoon.