Where oh where did all those follies go?
So, they only retrieved 9.
Dr. Gentle told me that lots of the little ones had disappeared by the time I got on the table.
IF truly sucks.
He also was worried about piercing my ovaries too many times. My platelet levels usually hover a bit below normal and, since I bled alot during the polyp removal, he wanted to minimize blood loss.
Internal bleeding = not a good thing.
Like a true IFer, I am ready to do anything and everything to maximize my chances that this will work regardless of its impact on my health. But that doesn't surprise any of you, for sure.
Dr. Gentle said that, due to the discomfort that I have felt over the past few days, they often recommend freezing all of the embryos and skip a fresh transfer.
Luckily, he followed that up with "but, we won't do that here."
Thank goodness because, at that point, I was ready to scream
We may, however, do a 5-day transfer instead of a 3-day transfer in order to let the minor OHSS symptoms subside.
I need to call Dr. Gentle tomorrow to tell him how I am feeling, but the tentative plan is to use the two best embryos for a 5-day transfer and to freeze the remaining at 3 days. He doesn't recommend freezing embryos at 5 days because the science suggests that they start to break down faster when they are defrosted.
I know that there's data to suggest 5-day transfers have a greater chance of success - as long as the embryos continue to develop.
I am looking for your input, here. What did your RE recommend in regards to 3 or 5-day transfers?
It's probably in part the effect of the anesthesia, but I can't help feeling like the wind was taken out of my sails a bit.
But nine is still good, right?
I am really anxious to get the fertilization report. I hope that we get at least 3 excellent-quality embryos out of this....
I am feeling pretty sore right now since the drugs have worn off. But, overall, the procedure was SO much easier than the attempt to take out Holy Polyp!
It doesn't help that the drugs also bothered my stomach.
I just hope I feel better soon so that we can do a 3-day transfer if Dr. Gentle believes it maximizes our options.
I can't even believe how much I want this to work. And I am not even pregnant. I am starting to get an even better idea how those of you who have suffered a miscarriage feel.......if I can feel this strongly about embryos that don't even exist yet, I can only imagine how intense I would feel about an implnted embryo.
It helps that Mr. LIW and I agree that we will do this a couple of more times if we have to. I keep telling myelf that it will work eventually.
And a cycle is never over until it is over, right? I know lots of you that have experienced true miracles.
Hopefully, those 9 eggs are great quality. And ICSI ensures successful fertilization. And those embies grow successfully.
I love all of you!! I thought almost instantly of updating once I woke up from the procedure. Knowing that you are rooting for me helps to maintain my sanity!
XOXO
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

14 comments:
9 is fabulous! It really is. I hope you get a great fert report in the morning and the OHSS stays away.
Yay for 9!!!!
I hope you feel better soon!!
D
9 is a wonderful number! I'm keeping your little embies in my thoughts and prayers for wonderful fertilization and beautiful dividing!
And tell that OHSS that I said it had to go away!
Hi from a new reader. I am praying that this cycle will be a success. Keep strong! I love your positive attitude.
My heart sank when I read this, I know how disapointing it is to get a lower number than you were expecting. :( but 9 is still a really good number.
I have no advice on the 3-day vs. 5-day because my clinic had very specific guidelines set up (only went to 5-day if there were 6 or more good-quality embryos at day 3), and we never got that chance.
9 is good. Trust me, it's good!
Fingers crossed for the fertilization report.
There's differing opinions on 5 day vs 3 day transfers. The embryos that make it to 5 days are survivors for sure, but not all embryos MAKE it to day 5.
For our last cycle, we didn't end up doing a 5 day transfer like we wanted to because we didn't have enough embryos to chance it. Like Natalie, we needed 6 grade A embryos on day 3, and we only had 4.
Course, I've also gotten a BFP on a day three transfer, too.
Ultimately? It shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The cycle where I had OHSS (E2 was 5,187 when we triggered), complete with a burst follicle, was the cycle that also worked. We ended up m/c early, but that was most likely because of the Monster Septum, NOT my OHSS.
Especially since your E2 was on the low side of high - if you DO get OHSS, it should be mild.
Rest up, take care of yourself, replenish fluids - and keep us posted as to the fert report. Hoping for a good one.
I know how you feel about the 9. My last cycle I had over 12 follicles and only got 7. I was totally surprised and disappointed, but from what I understand this can be pretty normal.
As for 3 vs 5 day, Serenity is right, its not set in stone. My clinic never told me their cut of number of embryos needed to try 5-day, but I think they are pretty tough. They generally do 3-day. There is also lots of discussion about needing different media if you are shooting for 5-day. However, my clinic won't freeze unless they make it to 5-day. So that sounded strange that they wouldn't freeze at 5-day.
No advice on the OHSS, as I never crossed that bridge. But you can definitely get a BFP from 3-day (I got 2).
Wishing you luck! Feel better soon1
Sorry about the deflated feelings but 9 sounds good to me (not that I pretend to know anything about this).
I'll be thinking of you and your 9 and thinking good fertilisation thoughts.
Having not been through IVF, I'm not sure about the 3 vs 5 day embryos. Sorry! I have heard that the number of follicles doesn't always translate. I'm sure you're a little disappointed, but 9 is stil good!!!! Good luck!
9 is great! I know it's disappointing when you were hoping for more, but it really is a great number. I hope the fertilization report is great!
I'm no expert from what I've read, 9 is awesome! Nine rocks its face off!
Hope you get great fert. report!!
I'm no expert, but I've read lots and lots of IVF blogs. Nine is very, very good. All the waiting is so stressful, but I'm hoping that the next days and weeks will bring the good news you've been waiting so long for.
9 is great!! Congrats! Good luck with your fert report!!
9 is a fantastic number! I am sorry the wind is a little out of your sails. I hope the winds pick up again
Post a Comment