Today is CD18.
Based on the u/s on CD11, it is safe to assume that I ovulated on CD12.
I have experienced cramps since before CD11. They have not reduced in frequency. In fact, they have even become more frequent in the past couple of days. I kept telling myself that they were the result of the Big C and the aftermath of ovulation but now I am starting to wonder - especially since the side effects of Clo.mid were so much milder than last month's (given that the dose was cut in half.) Except for slightly greasy skin and a darker mood, I haven't really suffered at all.
The cramps feel like they are in the center of my uterus. They feel a little like burning pains but with a sharp edge. I am *certain* that they are not IBS/stomach related as I have spent a decade or so studying that kind of pain and this is different. And today I feel like my uterus is heavy, if that makes any sense.
It is unlikely that I ovulated more than one follicle based on the fact that, on CD11, only one was big enough. The others were only 10mm.
Is it safe to let this bring a bit of hope into my dreary outlook these days? I looked it up in the pregnancy book that I bought back in November and it notes that abdominal cramping/AF cramping could be a good sign. The other reasons listed for these cramps are: PMS (even in my crazy cycle, it is waaay too early for those), gas and gastrointestinal upset. I know, for the reasons listed above, that it is not the latter.
But I have no other symptoms. My nipples do not feel as sensitive as they did last month. There's a possibility that I am feeling more fatigue but that could also stem from the depression. I have no stretching feelings in my breasts or uterus like I did with the premature miscarriage in November.
At least I will have some distractions in my life soon. It looks like I have a great shot at a temp contractor position for a lobbying/PR firm through one of my old bosses. We talked about it over a month ago and I never heard back from him so I assumed it wasn't going to work out. But he called me over vacation and I am going in for an interview this afternoon.
I will honestly feel *terrible* about having to cancel the other temp job, which was to start Wednesday. I truly liked the people with whom I would be working. But the position in the firm will actually utilize my skills and may open the door for a permanent position in case the federal job does not work out. There's talk that I may even start working this afternoon after my interview. AND I will be working on some *very* interesting projects as the firm's client list is impressive.
Of course, I am also hoping that it will pay more than the temp job.
Anyway, the point is, at least work will provide with some distractions from this funk of IF frustration that I have gotten myself into....
Would you allow these cramps to give you a bit of hope? Or, would you kill the hope and convince yourself that they are a side effect of the Big C? Give it to me straight, bloggers.
(Of course, I am secretly hoping that these are a positive sign that I will get a BFP...But I need to keep myself grounded at all times so be honest!)
**************************************************************************
So, I have been catching up on blogs over the past couple of days. They were starting to get a bit difficult to read because there are so many BFPs. I hate to admit my difficulty with such wonderful news as I truly love all of you and am happier than I could be for anyone else (especially fertiles). But every time I click on a blog to catch up, and find another lovely blogger is pregnant, it has made me sad. And pessimistic that I will never give birth to a child - that Mr. LIW and I will be too old before treatment works.
Without even trying too hard, though, I realized that my chances with IF treatment are still decent. Unless of course we have sperm/egg problems that can only be diagnosed via IVF, our IF does not seem to be incredibly formidable.
The fact that it has been 14 months or so since we actively started trying fully dampens my spirits, even though I recognize that this is still early in the game. I seriously do not know how those of you who have fought the good fight for 2 years or more have not ended up in a padded room. In my darkest moments, I seriously shudder to think how I will survive IF for that long without going crazy.
However, I am trying to remind myself that there *is*, in fact, hope for us. Incredible odds have been overcome among IF couples, including sperm/egg problems via donors. No situation is perfect, of course, and the pain of IF will always be with us, but there is hope that I will give birth to a child someday.
So, here's me trying to talk myself into a better space....
I need to remember that I ovulate less predictably than I originally thought. Those OPKs that I used last fall were unreliable. I never got a clear positive so maybe Mr. LIW and I were not doing it at the right time, or just far enough away from the right 24-hour period to minimize our chances.
It was only as of this winter/spring that we switched to having se.x every other day over a 7-day period around the time of ovulation. However, I only used one OPK successfully - that was 2 cycles ago. I have never charted my temps, either. Perhaps in the first six months (or more) of trying, we missed the mark. I didn't learn until a few months ago that EWCM can start 5 days before ovulation. I always made sure that we had se.x throughout the time that EWCM was present but never after.
Since 50mg of the Big C this month led to an early ovulation, that tells me that my ovulatory function may be more fucked up than I thought. Shouldn't it force my cycle to be more regular? The 100mg certainly worked - 3 follicles on CD15 or CD16, which is good news. But I am starting to think that I need 75mg. I realize that the fact that I ovulate on my own is great. But I think my ovulatory problem was more severe than I thought when I walked into Dr. Gentle's office.
It is true that Mr. LIW and I are not incredibly active in the bedroom. For me, once per week or two is just fine. In the early days of TTC, we probably only had s*x two or three times around what I assumed was my ovulation (based mostly on the date and the presence of EWCM.)
There's perhaos a *good* chance that we have not really been having well-timed intercou.rse for 14 cycles. Maybe our tries in only half of those cycles were truly well-timed.
So, this means there is still a chance for us, right? All of the books say that it can take 12 months for a perfectly fertile couple to conceive. I don't know if this statistic takes into account ovulatory problems but, if it doesn't, than that is cause for much hope.
And my cousin got pregnant after 14 cycles of incredibly well-timed intercourse. So, it can take a while, right?
At least now we know that I need to be monitored closely in order to target when I ovulate.
What frustrates me is that I can't see Dr. Gentle to plan an HSG until into our next cycle. He is not available the week that would be the end of this cycle. Our appointment will be on what I estimate will be CD11. Is that too late to schedule an HSG? I know that they time it before ovulation. If it is, we will have to wait another cycle before we take the next step. That just sucks.
Time bothers me. Our ages bother me. I know, of course, that so many couples have children in their late 30s and early 40s. But I finally realized one of the reasons that the age factor bothers me so much, aside from the typical worries of will I live long enough to see my child graduate college, find a significant other and settle down, have/raise children, etc. I want those things as much as anyone else.
But it is also because my dad is aging. He was 41 when I was born, so now he is 76. He looks younger than his age, certainly, and his siblings are living into their 90s, but I am truly truly worried that my child/children will never get to know their grandfather. For the past 10 years, my father has increasingly faced medical scares and problems. He is still in great health for his age but, since he still works full time running his own business to support him and my mother, we all worry.
I want to be old myself when I lose my father. Most of all, I want my children to have the luxury of getting to know him. We haven't always had the closest relationship but we are on great terms now and I am learning to love my parents even though my childhood was largely stressful and unhappy. They have changed somewhat and so have I.
The thought that it will take me so long to have children that they will never know my father breaks my heart and brings me to tears.
My nieces are 10 and 12. Whatever happens to him, they will always remember him. They were lucky that my sister married young.
How can I reconcile this concern? There's no way around it so I need to stay optimistic that IF treatment will work for us in the next year. And hope that my dad stays healthy.
Do any of my attempts at optimism carry any weight whatsoever?
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

10 comments:
oh , LIW...who can say? it's such a cruel joke of the universe that AF symptoms are identical to early pg symptoms. i say hope if and when you feel up to it. does that make sense? just try to go with whatever your body is telling you and if you're feeling hopeful, be hopeful! i'll certainly hold on to some hope for you. it's so hard to manage, isn't it? i'm finding myself almost annoyingly hopeful this cycle simply because i actually ovulated without cl0miphene!
congratulations on the job. it seems like a sound decision to me to not take the original position in favour of one that is not only more interesting but perhaps also might open a door or two for you. it also sounds like you're happier with this option, and that is the most important!
I wish I could tell you for sure that your symptoms were from clomid or from an early pregnancy, but I can't. It is all just a sick, cruel joke played by the big bad universe.
Congrats on the job - I hope it will be a good distraction.
Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to know the origin of those cramps. But I wouldn't give up hope based on the lack of other symptoms -- from what I've heard, symptoms can be different with every pregnancy. With Clo.mid and well-timed intercourse, you have a good shot.
I totally agree on the grandparent thing. I lost 2 when I was 15/16 and I wish I'd had longer to get to know them as people after I grew out of the teenage thing. I worry that my kids (if they ever happen) won't get to know my parents.
Also the BFP's - while I'm so happy for all the people who are getting them I can't help being jealous too.
Hi. I'm a new reader to your blog. First, I want to say congratulations on the new job! I really hope the interview went well and that you found a niche at last.
I had a thought about your cramps. I know you said that Dr. Gentle doesn't think endo is your problem, but I just thought I would raise the question again. I have endo and I get cramps throughout my cycle, often times coming from the side that I know has most of the endo (even if I'm ovulating on the other side). I also had break through bleeding during my cycle before I was treated. Unfortunately, I think the only way to definitively know if you have endo is to do a laparoscopy. I read that your doctor said something about being able to know because you didn't have a cyst. I know I'm not a doctor, so maybe I don't understand this properly, but I didn't have any cysts on my ovaries and when they did my lap they found stage 4 endo on my right side all around my ureter. I was told that they cannot see endo in an ultra sound. That was certainly the case for me as I had several ultra sounds (internal and external) before my lap to try and diagnose the problem.
Anyway, I just thought I would add this to your list of possible reasons for your cramps because endo can really affect fertility and doctors don't always know why. My doctor said that he has had patients with a small little spot of endo (not even on the tube or uterus) that has caused a lot of cramps and infertility. When he removed the spot, the cramps and infertility were gone too.
I'm not telling you all this because I want to stress you out. I just thought you may want to get a second opinion, especially now that you have all that cramping. I really hope things work out for you! I'm worried about posting this comment because I don't want to upset you (you already seem kind of stressed). But, in the interest of giving you another possible reason for the cramping I'm going to hit publish.
I wish you the best!
the other day i came across some notes i had made after two or three years of charting temps. i was trying to figure out how much of the time we actually had timed it right, so that when i had my first appt with the doc who would eventually do our IVF i could give her some solid stats. she pretty much blew me off and i was so pissed--all those years of tracking! it just reminded me of what a horrible time that was, struggling for answers, searching desparately for symptoms, and the constant battle with hope. i so relate to how you're feeling, and i'm just really hoping this is it for you and don't have to deal with this crap anymore.
I think the hardest part of our journey is the roller coaster of hope and disappointment. You feel like you grieve every month you hope and it doesn't happen. But in order to not lose hope, I guess you have to keep it close.
I just lost pregnancy #2 a few weeks ago. I'm so tempted to give up hope so I understand how you feel.
I wish you the best.
Oh there is alot of positive stuff 's in your posts - grats on ovulating, grats on possibly a better "temp" job, Pregnancy symtpoms are very close to periods ones so that could be positive. To answer your question about the HSG, I thought the best results were done from CD5-CD9 (as long as you are not stilling bleeding on CD5). My Dr told me to call on CD1 and schedule the HSG on a day between cd5-CD9 as soon as I knew when I would stop bleeding, *but my dr may do things "differently". I COMPLETELY relate to the wanted to have your "kids" experience grandparents, and you want to be able to also see college, weddings, grandchildren ... this age thing is a real BIOTCH - Sending you good vibes for your 2WW
I agree with everyone else... there is no way to know why you are having cramps. Our body always seems to play tricks to give us hope. Congrats on the job. Good luck to you.
I'm not sure on the cramps either. Hang in there and congrats on the job.
Post a Comment