Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Anyone Want to Join My Angry Club?

This morning, between episodes of S*x and the City on Demand (it's great to catch up on all the episodes that I missed over the years!), I decided that I would no longer try to avoid or suppress or nurture away my anger towards my IF and my career-on-hold situation.

I would simply feel it.

I am incredibly angry that this cycle has failed. AF isn't officially here yet but she's left her dirty footprint a couple of times so I know that her arrival is imminent.

Even though I tried to convince myself that Clo.mid would never work - despite the acne and other side effects it was all *too* easy - I still held out hope.

Granted, we failed to send the swimmers before that little egg dropped due to those fucked up OPK results.

But still, like a certified IFer, I held out hope.

And I am pissed. Not simply about this cycle. But about IF in general.

Though I had a wonderful time with Serenity and Mary Ellen the other night over fondue, I couldn't help but get really angry at how much damage IF causes us. It really eats away at our hearts and souls. It makes it nearly impossible to take life as it comes and to celebrate life's little joys. And it makes it unbelievably difficult to find joy in the pregnant bellies and babies around us.

I don't want to be on this haunted house ride for much longer, even though the car has just left the docking station.

I am knew to this fucked up torturous game and I *hate* it. With a veracity that nearly scares me.

I *know* that Mr. LIW and I have a long way to go and there is simply no way around it. Another cycle of Clo.mid (read=acne and weird cramps), then an HSG, then IUIs, then IVF. Might one of them work? Sure. Will most of them fail? Most likely.

Adoption is no easy process either, every bit as uncertain and painful and scary.

So I feel powerless. If I want to be a mother, I have to sign on to this.

And Mr. LIW and I are 36 and 35, respectively, so we can't simply take a year or more off in the hope that something will just happen.

I am stuck. And I fucking hate it. I hate it with the heart and soul that are getting eaten up by this process. And I am tired of crying after each and every cycle.

I am already full of bullet holes from an emotionally-neglectful childhood, a past abusive relationship, a litany of emotionally-distant significant others.

Since validation maintains my sanity, would anyone like to join my angry club? There's no special handshake or hazing ritual. All you need to do is to feel a well of anger due to infertility and infertility treatments....

Maybe I should try to brainstorm an online activity that would help us to work through this anger....

Any takers? Suggestions?

19 comments:

Dr. Grumbles said...

Count me as a charter member of the angry club!

Princess Peach said...

infertility is certainly cruel and unfair. It changes people forever. I have come across so many wonderful women in IF blogland; they certainly deserve better than than IF. They are some remarkable, strong women.

IF pisses me off. Hoping you find peace.

niobe said...

One of my weaknesses is that I'm not very good at feeling angry about my own issues.

However, I feel very angry for you and about your situation. Is that good enough to join?

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Yes, Niobe, it is definitely good enough for you to join. And by feeling angry for me, it might help you feel angry for you.

So welcome to this fine club! :-)

Rachel said...

Oh, you can bet your ass I'm in *this* club. And to be honest, the thing that helps me the most is my knitting and crocheting. Well, that and therapy. But there is something so soothing and relaxing about completing a small, creative task. We can get together and I can teach you if you like.

AwkwardMoments said...

Oh Dammit, count me in!! This is like self- induced torture for me and im tired and, I, too want off this f/n ride. I am so sorry that clomid has alreasy left it's nasty impression on your soul. - farah

Erin said...

I am so in! Thanks for the invitation! Embrace the ANGER!!!

Delenn said...

I was once part of the AMC (http://www.outdoors.org/, now I could be an ACM (Angry Club Member)!

I wish that I had been able to go the Boston Group Sleep Over...maybe something like that could be arranged again? Even just a meet up for a dinner or lunch or SOMETHING. Cuz, I need somewhere to vent where I don't feel like I am going to be patronized!

Natalie said...

I just went through my very angry phase. I feel you, definitely. IF is just a mean bitch and there's no reasoning to it. It sucks, all the way around.

Sarah said...

yep, spent a lot of time int he angry club too. then i just went numb. not sure which was worse.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry LIW. :( Your post really hit home for me. I try to remember how I was before all this shit. I look at my wedding pictures and remember it being the happiest day of my life; I really miss that person.

Hugs to you. And yeah, count me in as a member.

Anonymous said...

I was really, really, angry too. Still am sometimes.

We found-whenever we had a loss or a failure-that getting away for a short while and just being together helped (that sounds so cheesy. GOD.) With each bad result, we'd go away for a night, a weekend, a week, whatever. Just to be together. It took a lot of the sting away. I'm not saying it fixed the world, but it was nice to know I wasn't alone.

Space Mom said...

Anger is part of the trip. I hated it. And I still do.
Angry is a good emotion. Get it out. Let yourself scream. Be the woman you are. Feel what you feel.

and I hope that what you are seeing is not what you think

sharah said...

You aren't alone hon. I was getting cheese at the grocery store last night, and a pg woman with a toddler in the cart walked past me. Reflexively, I could feel myself getting annoyed. She didn't say or do anything other than pick up some cheddar and talk to her little boy, but I still couldn't stand her. Just the fact that she was there, and she was obviously fertile pissed me off.

Anonymous said...

Sign me up!

Heather said...

I'm ready to join you in anger. I just found your blog a few days ago. I'm 36 and have one daughter who is a product of ovulation induction and IUI when I was 29. I've been pregnant 3 times, all with the help of doctors and just the one child.

Oh and I just had my third HSG test last month. I hadn't had one in a few years. Man does that test suck! If you have to have one, may I recommend 2 Al*eve about an hour before the test.

Jo said...

Add me please!
As an old timer at the tender age of almost 44 I still cant get over it all.

Becks said...

Where do I sign? Another 35 yr old wants to join.

Sorry that the work situation is frustrating, I do hope you get news soon on the government job.

I am also sorry the clomid hasnt seemed to be successful this time, I hope your journey to motherhood happens next try.

Aurelia said...

Today I'm not angry, but I know I will be later on, so can I join now, and bitch when I need to.