Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Fate is on our side, finally

With bated breath, I checked Serenity's blog and literally screamed when I read her post.

If anyone has earned an IF badge of honor, she has.

And no one else on the planet deserves to have a healthy baby more than Serenity and J. After all that they have been through.

I know that so many bloggers have already sent their love and well-wishes, but I want to ask the powers that be for a healthy and successful pregnancy.

As my "avid readers" know (you all know that I use this phrase tongue-in-cheek, right?), I don't believe in a god. Or hell. Life is hell, as I love to say. So, if there is a god, then I am certainly in the doghouse.

For those of you who have faith, please say a prayer for my dear friend....

*************************************************************************
On an entirely different and less interesting note, I have returned from the sunshine state. Aside from a drunk and boisterous parent to two children sitting in back of us on the plane (how unfair is it that people like that can reproduce??!!) and a couple of delays, the trip home was fine.

But I realized something this morning, when I sat on the dock at the back of the rental property for one last time.

I am really really angry. I spent the week beating myself up for no longer being in shape. For being overweight (most height-weight charts put me at the top of the normal range but it is easily 20 pounds above and beyond my "ideal" weight). I couldn't shake it. I psychologically beat myself black-and-blue with criticism of my appearance - from the moment I woke up each morning to the minute I fell asleep each night.

Which just made me even angrier. That there is no vacation from these feelings.

It wasn't until the last peaceful moment of my vacation that I realized why I was being so hard on myself.

I am so so hurt that I am not yet a parent. And I am entirely afraid that I will never have my biological child. I know that I will be a parent someday, no matter what it takes, but I don't want to play this game for another year.

I will be incredibly depressed if I get a BFP this cycle, which I am anticipating.

I ovulated on CD11 or 12. Today is CD16. I have experienced some weird cramping in my uterus and breasts but the BIG C causes so many strange sensations that they only frustrate me. I have experienced *nothing* definitive in terms of signs or symptoms.

But I have certainly found some validation in my latest distraction. You know how sometimes a book jumps off of the shelf and it is the right story at the right time?

Have any of you read "Happiness Sold Separately" by Lolly Winston? The basic plot is that a couple's marriage is falling apart after two years of IF, which included a series of unsuccessful IUIs and IVFs.

I literally gasped at some parts simply because she captures the pain and feelings of defeat so well.

I am only on Chapter 3, but here are a few of my favorite passages:

"[L]ately this competence has been replaced by an overwhelming urge to lie down. By an exhaustion that lingers in her bones like the flu."

"By the time her fortieth birthday rolled around, she felt like a malfunctioning farm animal that needed to be put down."

[During a conversation in which her husband wants to talk, Elinor says:] "That's the problem. I don't think that I am capable of talking, Ted. I can scream, I can break things, but I don't think I can talk."

That's where I am. I think I should cry more. And hit pillows or something. I simply can't shake this frustrated sadness. I know that the Big C is partly to blame, but it is only magnifying feelings that I would have anyway.

I feel trapped. I can't change my situation. Mr. LIW and I had more se.x than we have had in years within four days of the u/s that indicated that I was ready to ovulate.

If this doesn't work, how can anything else? [Certainly this means that the "natural" route will never work, right?]

I know that these thoughts are illogical, there's still courses of treatment we have yet to pursue, but I can't help feeling defeated.

An HSG is next in my treatment plan and my biggest worry is not the pain of the procedure; it is the disappointment I will face if checking/clearing my tubes does not do the trick.

I am tired of feeling disappointed. And it has only been about 14 months of disappointment.

How can I get through this without damaging my self-esteem or going back to my old compulsive exercising ways?

I don't want to be in this space but yet there is nowhere else I can be right now....

8 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

UGH - I am sorry you arein a funk! I am there and can not shake it either - beenthis way for about 3 months +, it has gotten much worse over the last couple days!! I am so sorry!!

Jamie said...

I read that book recently and I loved it. It is an excellent read.

I too have the same body-image issues... If you figure out a solution please let me know!!

LJ said...

You and I are just sisters, I'm convinced. We went out with friends the other night, one who worked at my old office.

When we got home, my husband looks scared at me, and says "I need to tell you something, and you're going to be upset when I say this but you..."

And I was petrified, and finished his sentence to avoid the embarrassment with, "are fat? I know".

He looks at me is shock and disbelief, and says "NO, OH MY GOD NO! You just were bitching about your old job and it was really annoying. You might want to not do that in groups..."

I wasn't offended by what he actually said. Frankly, when he said I wouldn't like it, I assumed it had to be that I was fat. Isn't that sick? That would be the only thing he could say that would strike such fear in my heart!

Mama Bear said...

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. You are so right, though, tat one of the hardest things about IF is that there is no vacation from it. There are reminders everywhere, and whether we're cycling or not our own bodies are sometimes our own reminder.

Try to be gentle with yourself, though. You deserve it.

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I just wanted you to know that I am also having an HSG next cycle to check for uterine abnormalities. You are not alone by any means.

XOXO,
Kristen

Anonymous said...

I think my next blog post will just refer people to this post. You have summed up more of my feelings and emotions here than I could put into words.

Rachel said...

I know how awful all of this is. It affects every part of our lives, even when we try to not let it. I'm sorry you're having a crappy time. It's all just really crappy. Call me if you need me!

Dr. Grumbles said...

I just hope the HSG will give some answers.

I can certainly relate to the body image issues. It is so easy to let it rob you of any fun, and IF just makes things so much worse.