Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Who Knows Why..... *UPDATED*

but I am really depressed. Down in the dumps. I feel on the verge of tears, the way I have felt off-and-on since the other day.

Could it be the Clom.id, even though I took my last dose two nights ago? Sure.

But could it be the situation I am in right now? Umm, SHIT YEAH.

Let's review my status for sh*ts and giggles, as Mr. LIW likes to say.

Next week, maybe as early as Wednesday but definitely by Friday, I am leaving my job. Well, leaving the firm is more like it. It was never really clear what my job was. Saying that I am leaving my "job" makes it sound like I played a significant, indispensable role here. From the beginning, I was thrown into a bad situation and struggled to get my bearings. When I started to feel like I was getting the hang of things, the group I was in changed (and then disbanded) and I was shifted to another team. And that team needed me for one major project and one major project only. When that project ended (successfully, I might add) there was nothing left for me to do. There were promises about opportunities that were never realized. Since then, as you all know, I have been in limbo knowing that the firm was waiting for me to find a new job more suited to my interests and experience somewhere else.

And where am I now???

You guessed it. IN FUCKING LIMBO.

Even though I wasn't told to move on until December of 2006, I have been considering leaving this place since I started here over a year ago. So, this space I am in is getting old. And sad.

I hate purgatory I type with tears in my eyes.

It sucks. It is lonely. And isolating. I don't really belong at this firm, I know that, but I lack a solidified and clearly-delineated position to go to.

Oh, and what's the status of my fertility?

You guessed it. IN FUCKING LIMBO.

I am doing ok. At least on the surface. I am executing my professional and personal responsibilities well. Perhaps even better than well.

I am tired of purgatory. I am tired of complaining about it. I am tired of talking myself through yet another potential breakdown by holding on to the hope that I only have a designated period of time until things work themselves out.

I was convinced that I would be in a new job by April. And then it was May. And then it was June.

Contacts tell me that two months of waiting to hear from fed HR folks may only be the beginning. It might STILL be a couple of months until I receive the official offer and start my new job.

To avoid putting all of my eggs in one basket, I am sending out the occasional resume. And I wait to get phone calls for interviews.

The temping prospects look good but no matter how great the assignments (and we all know how not great they will be given the fact that they won't involve what I want to do or help move my career in the direction I want it to go), I will continue to be in purgatory.

I am 35 and struggling to get my career back on track while fighting infertility. I tell myself that not being pregnant might be a good thing given my work situation. It only deepens my depression.

I know that there are so many wonderful parts of my life and that I am lucky to have those parts. There's not a moment that goes by that I don't consider them.

But I am stuck here. I can't get out. And I am sick of complaining about it. I am tired of feeling virtually powerless over two of the most important aspects of my life.

**************************************************************************
After a good cry last night, with Mr. LIW rubbing my knee and wishing that he could make it all better, I woke up feeling a bit better today. Just because I am 35 and have a PhD doesn't mean that my career and fertility issues have to be all figured out, right? There are people living in war zones, not knowing if they will survive the day, hoping that their loved ones will make it to a better world.

And most people in the Western world hate their jobs and feel stunted in their careers, I know that.

But I walked into work this morning and wanted to cry again. I need to get out of here. I can't get out of this space that I am in but I can leave this particular place. I don't know if it will help that much, but it simply cannot make things worse (unless I fail to get a temp job and have to live without a paycheck, but that's unlikely.)

And then I read your comments on my post and all I could mutter under my breath, again and again, was "I love my friends. I truly love my friends."

Without you, I would certainly be drowning in purgatory.

18 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I think CL.omid amplifies these feelings 10000000%. It just plain SUCKS - sorry- i was going to post something cheery and warm, but I just decided to virtually sit in silence with you wishing for the end of purgatory ............

Rachel said...

I'm right there with you sweetie. 35 and struggling with infertility and my career. It sucks. There's no way around it. At least we have each other. I'm here for you.

Natalie said...

Limbo sucks... and to be in limbo with two huge aspects of your life is just overwhelming. I know there's not much I can do but say I'm here if you need to talk (you know my email) and that I really hope things resolve for you soon in both arenas.

LJ said...

If I were next to you, I would give you a GIANT hug and sit in silence if you needed to cry. So if you need me, imagine me there. I actually have tears because I literally have been there - seems to happen with us a lot.

I assure you though, Clom.id does make everything that just sucks seem impenetrably bad. It is hell on earth, in pill form. Just know that it may feel bad for a week, maybe two, but it will not feel like this forever.

And remember, I'm here to do your resume whenever you want. Seriously. I mean, just send it over, and I'll just spruce it up in case...you'll feel productive, I promise.

megan said...

oh sweetie...it may well be the meds that are bringing things closer to the surface, but that is beside the fact. you're feeling it and that is ALL that matters. i wish i could come over there and give you a huge hug and have a cocktail with you.

Anonymous said...

Clomid made me an emotional basketcase for the entire cycle. It just magnifies the feelings you already have.

Limbo bites. I hope you don't have to hang out there for long.

Tara said...

I understand.

I sooooo totally understand.

And I'm so sorry that you are feeling like this. I know how painful it is.

I hope you pull out of it soon.

Thinking of you.

(((hugs)))

DMB said...

Sending big hugs your way.

D

MsPrufrock said...

These feelings are familiar to me, and I'm terribly sorry you're going through this. Clomid is probably amplifying your depression, the bastard, as if things weren't bad enough.

I hope things start to look up soon.

Anonymous said...

Could I join you or would that not be of much help. However, we could all use a good drinking buddy! X

Serenity said...

I am right with you... you're not alone.

Get out of there. It's summer. Take some time to refresh.

And in the meantime, hugs. You'll let me know if you need ANYTHING, right?

*hug*

Ann said...

I'll tell you this--two days after taking my last C.lomid pill, I was almost suicidally. Everything that was "bad" in my life seemed that much worse. You will feel better. I promise.

ultimatejourney said...

I hope this assvice doesn't rub you the wrong way, but honestly you have plenty of time to have a fulfilling career (or two). I'm glad you are feeling better today and I hope one or more of your frustrations is resolved when you least expect it.

Dr. Grumbles said...

Purgatory stinks.

I wish you could find the exit.

I wish for a better life for you.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Sending you a hug. I am here if you need me.

niobe said...

Yeah, it really really sucks to feel that you're stuck in a bad place and there's no obvious way to get out of it. I wish there was something concrete I could offer or something useful I could say. Thinking of you.

Cibele said...

OMG, I am a infertile career confused PhD (just got out of school) on clomid waiting (not so patiently) on the purgatory for things to change ... sounds like we have lots in common!! !I am serious, I could have written this post myself... I hope that we can both move on to a happier place soon!
I took my last clomid 50 mg, 2 nights ago CD3-7.How about you?


HUGS

Sarah said...

that does sound like a crappy situation, but i'll also add that clomid always magnified these things about a thousand times for me and the effects lasted a while after i stopped taking it.