If I was at a restaurant, this is what the person assigned to wait my table would say.
But before I bore you with the details of my plate full of yummy stress, I need to thank all of you who posted kind and loving comments. You said things that I needed to hear - some I was trying to tell myself, others I hadn't even considered. For those of you who have suffered from an ED, you realize how important support like this is to keeping your head on track. I will admit that I experienced a loss of appetite last night, but a few yoga postures and listening to my yoga teacher's instruction on a CD that she made for her students appears to have rectified that problem.
Ok, so what does my plate look like? There is the red goopy mess in the center of the plate - it is, of course, the mismanaged and ill-conceived concoction that is IF. AF is late, which is what I expected given I ovulated after CD20. Though she is sending her love through abdominal cramps, she has yet to arrive. And those Clo.mid pills on the counter are beckoning me at the moment. So, I sit and wait.
On the side of the plate is a orange mass, hard and crusty like stale bread. When I pick it up it starts to fall apart, leaving dusty shards in my hands. This aging ball of hope is my job situation.
A call to Mr. Flowers on Monday revealed that my paperwork has hit a series of snags. He assured me that these problems do not threaten to sink the deal. But they are delaying the process. Since I will be leaving my current job at the end of this month, this signals a potentially long delay in employment. Which leads me to....
the bright pink liquid that is attempting to overwhelm the plate. This culinary disaster was supposed to be a firm, stable foundation for the side dishes. And this, fine diners, is our financial situation.
Ok, so Mr. LIW would tell you that I am overreacting. Panicking for no reason, even. But somewhere in my mind (or in our communication), I understood us to have greater savings than we have. We both agreed to use our "new car fund" (which, I am now convinced, will never have enough money to actually buy anything more than a non-motorized scooter) to pay off debt. But a combination of mishaps has meant that our general reserves have decreased at a much faster rate than expected. These unintended ingredients include: a much smaller tax return than anticipated, a much smaller raise for Mr. LIW than he has ever gotten (though his company is bursting at the seams with wealth these days, they are cutting back on raise percentages and bonuses, the fuckers), and a trip to Colorado that was never considered in our budget.
I don't want to give the impression that we will be living off of the freezer-burned meat and the small stash of canned goods in the basement. Or, that we will have to make any major changes to our lives (read shut off electricity and share bathwater.) But we do have to cut back on "unnecessary items," which basically means nearly everything that is not food or bills. We don't eat out very often as it is but, when we do occasionally from now on, a place like this will have to suffice for fine dining. And there will be no vacation between jobs to allow for a purging of the icky residue left by this position before embarking on a completely different experience.
I know that Mr. LIW and I are luckier than so many folks in this country. And that this financial stress is NOTHING compared to the stress of millions - even billions - of people around this globe. We do not live in a warzone. We are not at risk of losing our home or being thrown out on the streets. We do not have kids that we cannot afford to feed.
But...but....we don't really have a safety net. Well, not a liquid one anyway. We have a very (very) small share of stocks that could get us through two months of bills if we suddenly lost our incomes. And, I can make decent money temping in the meantime, which is one of the benefits of living in a city. My new job will provide a small raise, which will help us to continue to pay down our debt and start saving a little once I actually start working (a date that cannot even be guessed at this point but hopefully by mid- or -late summer.) And I do tend to think in extremes and worry too much about money.
But I feel too old to not be ahead of the game, with a large savings account and bills that cause little or no stress. And I want to have a considerable safety net before a baby comes and we have the added expense of daycare.
And we never should have agreed to accompany my sister and her family to Flori.da for a vacation next month. (Of course, I assumed I would be in my new job by then, knowing that I would return to a stable salary and benefits.)
So, basically, I am simply a whiny patron at a restaurant that I thought was finer than it really is.
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

10 comments:
Don't you just want to make the kitchen take it back and bring out something more appetizing ..metaphoricly speaking
Sorry about all the stress. I hope that AF comes soon and you get the job stuff squared away. Hugs my dear.
I'm so sorry that you have so much on your plate right now. IF brings on so many burdens especially financial ones when we have to think about paying for fertility treatments. Hang in there and hope things will fall into place for you soon. Big hugs to you.
I'm sorry things are so stressful! I hear you about the financial stress--and about agreeing to things like vacations when you probably "shouldn't." I hope that the job stuff comes together.
thinking of you...
just when things look good, the dinner plates come filled with stress.
Sorry about the stress. I hope all works out. I know federal jobs take a long time to hire. just the way paperwork goes....
Hang in there
Sorry I am catching up on your news a couple of days late. I share your worries about finances and especially when we are facing £3500 (UK) every 3 months - its a killer. BUT if it means we get a baby then it will be worth it.
I do hope you get some good news soon about the job, I know how much it means to you.
And please dont regret your holiday with your sister, you deserve some LIW time and I want to hear all about it when you are back.
Sorry I didnt respond on your offer to exchange emails just before I got my negative. Its been a bit manic and I've backed off a little but I am here for you....please drop me a line any time you want to. Love and hugs x
I had to leave a job a few years ago - honestly the worst place I could have worked, and had a conversation with my dad. I didn't want to quit because then we couldn't get out of renting. He asked me how much I got paid a month and how long it would take to find a job, and wrote me a check.
Sometimes when it gets darkest, something magical happens. Karma rules, is all I'm saying.
I thought I saw you at that restaurant! I am afraid we were served the same mess!
I hope things get better.
I'm just catching up on my reading here and wanted to tell you I can really relate to your last post, which I just commented on.
And now once again I find myself with much in common with you. The feeling of financial burden is incredibly stressful. And it doesn't seem fair to have to refrain from doing things that bring us enjoyment - like eating out once in a while.
I can offer no great advice but I can tell you that I understand and I'm thinking of you and hoping for nothing but the best for you and Mr. LIW.
I'm so sorry about all the stress.
Lordy, I totally relate to that idea of wanting to be 'farther ahead' financially ( = more secure) at a certain age, I think about that very notion almost every day and manage to work myself up into a major tizzy!
I hope the job stuff gets sorted out soon!
Post a Comment