So the saying goes.
I hate that saying. I always have. And IF gave me a new and improved reason to hate it.
But it is partly true. At least in my case.
Purgatory has led me to some fabulous women. The BBISP on Saturday night was incredibly fun and endlessly heartwarming. When you start to wonder if there are really nice people out there in the world, think of Serenity, Mary Ellen, Rachel, and N .
My husband and I joke about the fact that one of the skills men learn in "man school" is to take physical and psychological pain in stride (you know, in addition to using a hammer and fixing a toilet.) I told him on Sunday that, if he wanted to find people to teach the "deal with it" class, he needs to look no further than my IF friends. These women are surviving under incredibly stressful conditions. Sure, they are angry and sad and exhausted. But they keep on moving forward regardless of what life throws at them.
Put simply, they are a testament to human endurance.
They inspire me.
And they so kindly allow me to be part of their circle even though Mr. LIW and I are only on our first step in IF treatments.
It truly astounds me sometimes how the universe shifts in ways that bring really kind, interesting, and generous people together. Especially while it simultaneously denies us some of what we want with our whole hearts.
Ok, so I am grateful. But I still hate the saying.
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

15 comments:
Out of that group, I've only met Rachel, but I agree that all your comments apply to her. I'm very glad to have met her, despite the fact that pain is what brought us together in the first place. I hope there will be another BBISP that I can attend, so I can meet the rest of you ladies who are so wonderful online.
The longer I have to deal with IF, the more that I've realized that a lot of those annoying platitudes are true (well, sort of true). While I feel that I've gained the friendship of a lot of wonderful women and found a balance in my life that was misssing, I still wish that I had been able to do so under better circumstances.
It really is amazing how many wonderful and supportive women we've had the opportunity to meet--whether in person or virtually--through this struggle. I know without everyone's support, this journey would be that much more difficult to bear!
I'm so bummed I wasn't able to join the bbisp...hopefully next time I'll be able to make the trek. :-)
That IS one of the silver linings in the hell that is infertility. That you meet such fantastic people... like you! :)
Likewise, I had a GREAT time this weekend- it was really the only bright spot in a very crappy weekend. Your house is gorgeous, and you were such a wonderful hostess.
Can't wait for the next one!
It is a dumb saying. But the support is good.
That's so nice you are all meeting in real life. I agree that I have met the most wondeful people during my IF and its one thing I'm so grateful for as well. IF taught me a lot about the kind of person/friend I want to be.
I'm really amazed by how many honestly NICE infertile women I have met. This weekend was just lovely, and everyone there was just such great people! I still feel like I'm just starting out - those women who have been doing this for years... well I just can't imagine. I guess it's just something that you DO. I was terrified of surgery, but when it came to my lap and egg retrieval I didn't hesitate, I just did it. Kind of weird how that happens.
sounds like it was a gret time! glad you had fun
I need to send my husband to the same "man school" that yours went to. Mine has not clue what to do with a hammer!
I'm with you... All I have done is wait in this pseudo-IF hell we currently are stuck in. Yet all these amazing women and those few men in this community have been unbelievably supportive, encouraging and loving.
I never really liked that saying either. In fact there are a lot of comments just like that make my blood boil.
It does seem like infertility happens to some of the nicest people though and you guys are pretty fortunate to have a good network of people in the area to lean on.
I had an amazing time this weekend. Even though I passed out early... :-)
We are lucky to have all met. You ladies are all fantastic!
Yeah, but good things comes to those that DON'T wait also - and that is what pissed those of us off who are waiting, right.
Damn I wish I could have pulled myself out of my funk and gone to the BBISP....
it's a totally shitty saying for infertiles, but i'm so glad you found some silver lining in this journey. it's amazing what infertility teaches us, and what we learn to survive through, and at times, even triumph over. very inspiring.
Oh I am so glad you had a good time at the BBISP...I am SO jealous that I dont live in the States with all you fabulous women.
Good luck with the Clomid, hope you are posting good news soon!
Post a Comment