I have never done an illegal drug in my life. Not one. Not even the "natural" one that everyone raves about and swears is not actually a drug.
There's only a few of us out there and I like to joke that I am the President of the Vir.gin Drug Club. It's my nerdier side that never allowed it. I just couldn't imagine risking my health on something that was produced with no government oversight or regulation.
(On a side note, if I wasn't bi, I would be completely and utterly uninteresting. It's actually one of the many reasons that I am proud of my se.xual orientation.)
At the same time, I am absolutely fascinated by addiction. Ok, well, my struggle with disordered eating may be responsible for that. But I didn't become a Political Scientist by accident. Human behavior is so incredibly intriguing. Especially when it involves trying to escape/deal with reality. Until recently, "Intervention" on A and E was my favorite program (now it is all repeats so I am getting frustrated.)
Anyway, all the blabbering above was an attempt at a nice little segue into a discussion of the - holy shit! - amount of injections I have to give myself over the next 6 or more weeks.
I don't have the exact protocol in front of me (Mr. LIW forgot to bring my notes in from the car), but here's what I remember off the top of my head (I will update with the specifics later.)
* Lup.ron shots start tonight (does 10 units sound right?)
* Stay on BCPs for 7 more days while taking Lup.ron
* Gonal - F once my hormones are at the right levels(my insurance pays for the pen, thank goodness, and I think the daily dose is 250, which the nurse tells me is conservative)
*U/S and blood work on 12/28
*Trigger shot and then Egg retrieval - expectation is that they will occur at the very end of the month
*Transfer is anticipated to be done on one of the first couple of days in January.
*Progesterone-in-oil shots start somewhere around egg retrieval.
Mr. LIW and I agreed, of course, to transfer two embryos - provided we have two that are worth transferring! As expected, ICSI will be used since we believe that Mr. LIW's swimmers are unable to penetrate the egg (the fact that nearly all of them are shaped funky is likely the cause of this little obstacle.) And we agreed to donate our embryos to research if we both die, get divorced, or simply decide not to use them. Mr. LIW and I are incredibly different people but on life matters like these, we almost always agree. We didn't even need to have a conversation about these decisions. It's weird.
So, as we went over the protocol, I was taking everything in stride. A little nervous about the bruises that will likely result from all of the injections, perhaps, but doing ok. Mr. LIW was asking good questions and clearly paying close attention to all of the directions, which is great. I will think that I know all of it and then will panic when I take the needle out of the package. That is CLASSIC LIW.
And then. THEN. Mr. LIW asked about the progesterone injections. The nurse wasn't going to show us the needle since we haven't gotten to that point yet but then she thought better of it and showed us anyway.
Holy, holy, Moly. Is that needle LONG. And THICK.
Mr. LIW nearly fell off of his chair.
I have mentioned a few times that Mr. LIW is quick to smile but generally has a stoic face. Even a stranger could tell that he was horrified at that moment.
He asked, a bit nervously, "does the entire needle have to go in??"
As all of you pro-IFers know, that needle needs to go into the big round part of myself that I sit on all day. Even though it is an area that clings to cellulite as if I am a seal living in the Arctic, there's plenty of muscle close enough to the surface to make the entire experience brutal.
Then Mr. LIW asked for how long he will have to torture me...oh, I mean adminster the shots.
When he was told that we would need to continue until I got a BFN or we established that my HcG levels were high enough..well...let's just say he was absolutely horrified.
The progesterone shots are the only ones that I am really nervous about, though I know I will get tired of inflicting pain on myself each and every night.
I keep finding myself assuming that this will all work, which is a dangerous mindset, I think. But that belief will keep me going, that I know. Let's hope that I am right......
And, oh, happy holidays!! Let me know if anyone will be joining the drug party!
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

11 comments:
You didn't ask for it, but I'm going to give you a little assvice!
The progesterone shots are really not that bad. You can ice the area for a bit first. Also, when I used them, there were two needles. One was really thick to draw the progesterone (because it's in oil) into the syringe, and the other was thinner which went into my ass. Also, after the shot, you or Mr. LIW can rub the injection area (after putting on band-aid) to help it disperse. My husband is afraid of needles, but didn't have any problem giving me the shots.
Good luck. I hope it goes smoothly. Just remember, it's all worth it!
I just posted that I won't even take medicine for a cold...but I willingly shoot myself up at night. Doesn't make any sense.
Good luck starting your meds!
I too am in the vir.gin drug club.
However, I did 4 shots a day through my stims. And now I'm looking at PIO for (hopefully) 4-6 weeks (maybe). So you can do it too!
As you heard the PIO isn't as terrible as you imagine. You actually don't sit on the part that you inject, so its not like you feel like you need a hemorriod pillow! And yes, it does get a little sore, but it is definitely tolerable.
Good LUCK! (and it CAN work)
Oops -- I lied 3 shots a day (one microdose lupron and 2 Gonal-f)
Sorry!
I did the shots myself. I just didn't like the idea of someone else sticking a needle in me and I got used to it pretty quickly.
But after a while I became allegeric to the oil in the PIO (my clue was that my half of my face swelled up to the size of a watermelon) and I had to switch to suppositories a/k/a p*ssy pops, which were a little messy, but otherwise fine.
i second the "ice the area" comment. It does wonders for me- i barely feel the needles when iced properly. GOod luck to you- i am very excited for you
well, it's scary as all...but i am so excited for you!
re:the shots, i always said is was wayyyy to afraid of needles to be a drug addict. then IVF with 100's of shots. so now, what excuse do i really have?
Trust me, I have to ask my hubby all the time what the difference between drugs are. Not because he's a user, I'm just a super gimp who knows nothing of drugs...
And yes, 10 units sounds right. I did that with my fresh and am doing that with the frozen one right now... But your protocol seems really quick. Like you will be in for egg retrieval in no time! Yay!
I should be in the Virgin Drug Club, Ms. President! For me, it was about getting caught. I have always had jobs working children or otherwise including random drug testing, so I feared breaking the law.
Good luck with all those shots! I can barely tolerate a measley trigger shot!
I promise that the anticipation of the injections is way way worse than the actual shot. You will do great! So exciting that you are starting!
I have not had to do the PIO shots, I got the suppositories instead (oh yea!) but I have heard from my cousin, who has two IVF kids, did 8 or 9 IVF rounds (the IVF kids are 2 years apart, not twins) that the PIO isn't so bad. The iceing seems to be the key....
Post a Comment