I write hesitantly because I continue to wait for the other shoe to drop.
And I am struggling with near-overwhelming anxiety this morning. The barage of storms here in the Boston area and the continued job uncertainty is getting to me.
But the good news is that I go for ivf pre-op December 18th, which is tomorrow. And begin Lu.pron shots tomorrow night. Transfer will probably happen right around the New Year.
I am nervous, though, because I mispoke when I told Dr. Gentle what CD I was on Friday. I told him that December 1 was CD 1 when, in fact, it was CD3. The confusion came from the fact that December 1 was the day I started the BCPs.
Tomorrow was the earliest that Dr. Gentle could squeeze me in. And that was already expected to put us a day or so behind schedule. But he assured me that the pill allows us to extend my cycle so that the timing will work out.
But I realized Friday night that tomorrow will not be CD 18 as Dr. Gentle originally assumed. It will be CD20.
My hope is that the pill rule still applies -that we can just drag out my cycle two additional days. If we were going to extend it for two days, can't we extend it for 4?
Does anyone have experience with this?
Once I realized my mistake, I began to panic. I had allowed myself to get my hopes up again. That we would possibly be pregnant early in 2008. I even figured out that, if ivf #1 worked, we would be due in September.
I guess, no matter what happens, all is not lost. If we don't start tomorrow, we start in a few weeks instead. What's a few weeks when so much time has gone by?
Dr. Gentle shaved *just* enough off of Holy Polyp! that I will not need additional surgery. It's still there - that stubborn bastard - but it is smaller. The u/s tech measured it at 8.5 mm. The max allowed is 10mm. I nearly cried when relief when they told me.
Dr. Gentle assured me that it wouldn't get in the way. And that it is likely to come out "when I deliver." At first I thought, deliver what? And then I realized - oh, he means a baby. Might I actually deliver a baby some day?
My ovaries are in a great location for extraction, which was also great news.
Even if we can't start injections tomorrow, at least we will have gone through the pre-op exam, paper signing, etc.
But, what if we do start tomorrow? On Friday, I was beside myself with joy. It was the first time in a *long* time that I even allowed myself to think that we may be pregnant in the short term. Or at all.
I have myself convinced that ivf #1 or #2 will work. I have felt for a year or so that we would end up with twins. A girl and a boy. I have dreamt about them many times, actually.
I am starting to realize, though, that I have nearly enjoyed this TTC break. This is the second cycle in which I didn't even consider that we could be pregnant (because it would have been impossible.) I notice twinges, aches, etc. in my body and I don't wonder. I simply dismiss them.
It is *nice* not to be on the TTC rollercoaster. As you all know, however, the IF stress is always present. And we can only really get a partial break.
Even the partial break was nice, though. The job situation continues to get to me, though I applied for another position last week. And I am planning to have a conversation within the next two days with someone who works at one of the locations to which I applied. I think he is quite influential, actually. I was referred to him by the friend who tried to help me get through the red tape for the federal job.
I *want* my life to be different in January or February of 2008. I want it to change for the better with an intensity that I can nearly taste.
But I am so nervous and anxious about it, too. What if things go wrong? What if I screw up a new job. What if I think I have finally found a great permanent job and then I hate it?
What if ivf #1 works but the pregnancy fails? What if ivf #1 works and the pregnancy is terrible but we get a baby (or two) out of it? What if I can't handle being a mother? What if I end up with postpartum depression?
What if ivf #1 doesn't work? Nor does ivf #2. Or, ivf #3?
I know, I *know*, there's no reason to make myself crazy with all of these thoughts right now.
It's hard not to.
I guess I have to let hope have a turn again. I think that I beat her out of me over the first 16 or 17 cycles of this journey.
But it is time to let her in again. I know that. I am just afraid to suffer crushing disappointment again. Though I should be a pro by now.
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

15 comments:
I know how hard it is to be hopeful after so much disappointment and not to imagine all sorts of worst case scenarios. But I'm very hopeful for you.
I really hope IVF#1 is all you need!
Oh! So glad that 'Holy Polyp' is no longer a problem!
I've never done IVF but I have a basic idea of how it works. Since you're suppressing with BC and about to really supress with lupron, I think they will be able to get it all worked out. I think at this point your body is in limbo and a day or two doesn't really matter too much. I think... I could be wrong.
I'm really hoping that 2008 is your 'everything' year. BFP, bring home baby, find awesome job, etc.
Sending much peace and hope this holiday season!
Nikki
Got all my fingers crossed for this new cycle. And having hope is so difficult, but we all have that for you.
I hope IVF #1 works!
And what is your timing then on retrieval and transfer? My lupron shots start today.
I think you should be fine with timing, a couple more days with BCP shouldn't be a big deal.
Congrats on the removal of the Holy Polyp! You are healed my child!
Wishing you lots of success for IVF#1!
Totally get those 'crazy thoughts'. I'm already envisioning this IUI not working, then the subsequent IVF's not working either. Sucks how this all messes with our brain.
I think you're still good with the bcps, they can draw those out for awhile without it being a big deal.
Good luck tomorrow!!!!
so glad to hear that the holy polyp! is out of there.
you're more than due for 2008 to be the year when everything falls into place for you. . .job, fertility, everything. i so hope that IVF #1 will be all you need.
xoxo
Dont know much about the BCP part of suppression but for the injections I have done, they will suppress you as long as it takes to get you in sync with the consultants work schedule. So on that theory, I dont think the 2 days will be a problem.
Good luck!!
From my understanding as long as your LH and E2 look good on CD3 of your next cycle you will be good to go. The Lupron should supress everything nicely (I start my Lupron tomorrow, so we can be anxious together). I have many oif the same fears, but i know we all will get through this, I am strong, and from reading your blog I know you are too! (and thanks for your comments on my blog, darn slutty cousins!)
What if ivf #1 works but the pregnancy fails? What if ivf #1 works and the pregnancy is terrible but we get a baby (or two) out of it? What if I can't handle being a mother? What if I end up with postpartum depression?
Are you reading my mind or something?
Day 10 of lupron and darn if these thoughts don't keep swirling around. I think, though, that they aren't limited to just us IF'ers. I bet all would-be moms have the same, at least similar, fears.
Re the lupron and your cycle: I think you'll be fine. As the wizard of ovulation said, the lupron should supress everything just fine. ;-)
Have fun at your hair appt. :)
I think that if you are on a suppression drug, you can start your stims anytime. I have never done a cycle with suppression before, so I am not exactly sure.
The anxiety of it all sucks, doesn't it?
I would hope the RE would stop things if the two/four day adjustment was going to negatively impact your chances.
All of your questions are completely normal (in my opinion). I think you'd be crazy not to be asking yourself those things.
Hope IVF#1 is it!!
I hope that today went well!
Good luck with everything (especially Lupr0n!) and remember to just take one cycle at a time. Don't think too far ahead. And if everything isn't resolved, it's simply not over. I wish the best for you.
Post a Comment