So, AF came last night.
I was shocked only because I have been spotting somewhat heavily since Dr. Gentle tried (partially in vain) to remove the Holy Polyp! pair.
I was told that after I took the last BCP on Christmas that AF might drop in for a light visit.
So far, she's only a little lighter than normal. And how on earth can there be anything left in there??
Anyway, after my suppression check this morning (more on that below), I ventured into a local mega pharmacy chain to purchase AF-specific products.
You see, I have been avoiding buying them for months now. I can't even tell you how long it had been since I bought them. I had been digging through suitcases and old gym bags looking for tam.pons so I didn't have to purchase a BRAND NEW BOX.
After the surgery, I had to break down and buy some pads because of the initial bleeding (I won't tell you how long ago I had run out of those and had been relying on tam.pons alone.)
Except for a couple of tam.pons that had long ago lost their wrappers and had nearly popped out of their applicators, I had nothing left.
Until this morning, I had convinced myself that those thin pads I bought last month and/or a small box of pantiliners would do the trick. That I would not even have to *think* about such feminine hygiene products until the hospital was sending me home with a couple of super-thick pads and a healthy newborn.
I stood in that damn aisle for what felt like forever. I couldn't justify buying a BIG box of super tam.pons (my typical pre-ivf - hell pre-TTC purchase) but I felt guilty about spending the extra money on the small, handy little boxes.
In the end, I simply refused to buy a big box. I purchased a package with four little boxes of those nifty travel-size numbers in three different strengths. Even though it amounted to a decent number of tamp.ons, it felt like less of a commitment somehow. As in, these boxes are small enough to get lost in my bathroom cabinet as I journey (successfully, of course) through the three trimesters of pregnancy.
Come on, a girl high on the drugs on her first round of ivf can dream, right??!! :-)
The good news is (yes, I do have some) that I am adequately suppressed. It's strange what words become music to IFers ears, isn't it?
My E2 levels are below 20 (anything below 50 is good, I am told) and the lining of my uterus is thin.
So, tonight I start the stims. Here's the plan for the drug party:
Fri 12/28 = Lupron (5 units) and Gonal-F (225)
Sat 12/29 = Lupron (5 units) and Gonal-F (225)
Sun 12/30 = Lupron (5 units) and Gonal-F (150)
Mon 12/31 = Lupron (5 units) and Gonal-F (150)
Tues 1/1 = Lupron (5 units) and Gonal-F (150)
Wednesday, 1/2/08, back for u/s and b/w at 7:15am.
How does this strike those of you who are ivf veterans? The nurse told me that this was a fairly conservative protocol but I would like to know how it compares to others' experiences. Thanks to Serenity's advice, I no longer expect to be ready for egg retrieval when I go in on January 2nd. She successfully managed my expectations so my hope is that egg retrieval will happen between the 9th and the 12th, with the transfer occurring early in the week of the 14th. The 14th is my mother's birthday so maybe that would be good luck?
If only luck is what it took....
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

8 comments:
Last month I adamently refused to buy tampons. I relied completely on the few I found at the bottom of my purse and on the kindness of strangers. Yes, I became that person walking around asking everyone in sight if they had one. Slightly embarrassing multiple days in a row...but much better than standing in that aisle. Why are they right next to the HPT's??
Good news on the suppression and good luck!
I would never buy products, thinking it would jinx that cycle. BigP got so sick of having to go out and buy me stuff (for some reason, I never felt like going once AF arrived...gee, wonder why) that he would buy in bulk. He would tell me, "these things won't go bad - buy them and then maybe karma will dictate that we don't need them. I'd rather buy them and not need them than not have them when you need them." He would say that every cycle. So, I have an entire stock of feminine hygiene products under my bathroom sink.
I hope you don't need any more for a very long time. It all sounds great so far - I've not done IVF yet but from what I've read on other blogs, your number looks great.
I got sick and tired of buying tampons month after month and dredging to the cash register for the entire store to see I was unsuccessful for yet another month.
So I switched to the Div.a Cup and love it. It is re-usable and I only had to buy it once. Now, I don't have to make those trips anymore.
You Gonal dose is on the lower side, so that is good. If you need more of a kick, there is room to bump you up. It also means your hormones are probably in check and your RE expects you to respond well.
oh! how we all do the same. i always opt for the biggest box...because i like the idea of jinxing it ; )
i am so excited for you. just think...lots of people get PG with IVF....**why not you??**
congrats on the suppression check!!! it is a big deal, mine didn't go so well and i stood out in the parking lot crying. the ugly cry.
i can't wait to abide with you during this cycle.
I did the same thing. I only bought the travel pack. I am on CD3 and coming close to the end of that travel pack, but refuse to go buy more. I do not want to jinx anything. Glad to hear you are supressed. I to am down to 5 of lupron amd starting my Menapur tonight. That is a good starting e2 number. I to have a scan on Wednesday. Here we go girl!
I would say that your protocol soundns pretty conservative. I agree with Serenity...just go with the flow. Hopefully you won't need to buy any more tampons for a good long time.
I have this magical thinking thing going where I believe that if I buy a huge mega size pack of AF products then I won't actually need them.
I bought a gigantic pack of pads just before my last cycle, thinking what the heck, it might ward off the evil spirit of menopause, and damn if everything didn't go right!
So go buy a jumbo pack of al.ways from costco, you'll need them whether things go right or things go wrong. Seriously.
Post a Comment