Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What the $*@% was I thinking?

I still cannot figure out why I willingly (though begrudgingly) got on that damn plane back to Boston. Yesterday, my head was still a bit in the clouds and I had thoughts like "it is really not that bad here in my regular life." Today, the clouds have passed and I realize that I was a fool to think that that glimmer of peace I found on vacation could be preserved.... Argh!

Ok, enough whining....

My vacation was fabulous. It was amazing. I could not have asked for a more relaxing setting for my birthday.

I exceeded my ability to relax and realized that I am one giant step closer to achieving my personal goal of inner peace.

The weather was perfect - sunny every day - and the ocean water was ideal - 80F at its lowest temperature with stunning blue and green hues. We took trips to Mayan ruins and a village (in Cob.a) and to an eco-park featuring an underground cave populated by stalagmites and stalactites (Aktun-Ch.en.) No trip is complete without an educational component (yes, the nerd in me never takes a vacation!) However, most of our time was spent deciding whether to lie in the sun or in the shade created by the palapas (huts) provided by the resort.

Mr. LIW, always with camera in hand, captured some natural wonders. I hope to share a couple with you as soon as I can figure out how to post them on my blog (the nerd in me has limited capabilities.) I asked him to take a creative picture of me for my blog, which he did. It is probably the part of my body that you are least likely interested in (no, not THAT part) but I was surprised by how well the image matches the appearance and tone of my blog (particularly because he confessed that he is anything but an avid reader.) I shouldn't underestimate Mr. LIW's creativity, particularly since he actually reads those photography magazines that only mega bookstores sell.

Another highlight of my vacation was the voicemail message I retrieved late on Thursday night. I had to listen to it twice to make sure I heard the woman's voice correctly. It was Donna so-and-so calling to tell me that I made it to the list of interviewees for one of the federal positions for which I applied. Of course, it is the least attractive position of the three but a Lady-in-Waiting cannot afford to linger forever, particularly since she has modern bills to pay and really dislikes her current professional situation.

So, I have an interview on Thursday at 4pm, for which I am more excited than nervous. That will change - I will be a frequent visitor to the ladies room as of Thursday morning - but for now I am focused on the research that needs to be done in preparation. I am carefully reviewing the federal policy that I would be implementing were I to be chosen for the position. Without revealing too much (those stories of candidates who were rejected due to their blog postings haunt me), this position would place me in charge of providing technical and legal guidance to state, local, and private officials in New England who receive grants for a large federal program. It would enable me to play a role in helping children and families, which is my professional and personal passion.

Changes certainly seem to happen in clusters. A day or so before I left on vacation, I was pulled into the CEO's office and, while my entire body vibrated slightly and my mind raced with thoughts of being fired, I was told that I am incredibly bright and talented and, though I am searching for a government position, in the meantime, would I mind taking over the responsibilities of another employee who is leaving the company very soon?

I cannot convey how surprised I was - both by the request and the accolades. I was even more surprised when, after explaining how I am eager to learn all that I can here even though I ultimately belong in government, the CEO asked that I keep the option open to return in the future if the company changes in ways that create opportunities that fit my interests. I was shocked. Astounded. And, based on various other things he said, it became clear to me that all of those comments I made in meetings (when I swallowed my nervousness and kept my vow to speak up when I had an idea) did not go unnoticed.

To add to the drama, Friday morning brings our first meeting with an R.E. to discuss the results of Mr. LIW's SA and our next steps. I keep avoiding that long and incredibly personal questionnaire that needs to be filled out for the appointment. It is not that I am embarrassed to share personal information - the questions I have received over the years regarding my sexual orientation cured nearly all of my sheepishness about such matters - but I think I am afraid that the R.E. will look at it and say, "AHA. That lube you have been using is the culprit. You fools." A simple solution such as that would be a blessing, of course, but....

Maybe it isn't that at all. Maybe it is the fact that seeing an R.E. gets us one step closer to becoming card-carrying members of the IF club. Honestly, I am convinced that there are few if any clubs with more loving and wonderful members. But, as all of you have noted, there is much unhappiness and pain in the club. I am very afraid of all of the steps involved as well: medications, shots, etc. On one hand I realize that we might not need many of those steps at all. On the other, I am convinced we will spend years struggling with all of them, to no avail. The fact that I am a few days past 35 and Mr. LIW turns 36 soon does not escape me. Like Serenity, I am comforted by the knowledge that Mr. LIW will be parents someday, no matter what. But the thought of exhausting myself over multiple years to get there makes me frightened and sad.

See, the aura of my vacation experience is quickly slipping away....

Too much to think about right now, I know. I need to take one challenge at a time. So, off I go to read federal statutory and administrative law. A nice distraction, if I do say so myself (that was the nerd speaking.)

And though my purgatory status has not changed, I do feel as if it has shifted slightly.

P.S. It might take me a week or so to get caught up on all of your happenings while I was away. I might not comment much this week but I can promise you that I will be reading!

17 comments:

Serenity said...

I always get a post-vacation depression too. At least the weather's been good here, no?

Congrats about the fed position - will keep my fingers crossed!

And about the RE... take it also a day at a time. He's not going to tell you in the first appointment what the problem is - it's a lot of waiting and tests. (a lot = a couple of cycles. But it felt like a lot back then!)

It's really easy to get freaked out with all the "what ifs" here. But meeting with the RE will get you a step closer to having a reason for why things aren't working. And for me anyway, it was SUCH a relief.

Welcome back!

carrie said...

YAY for the interview - hope it goes well and that you're enjoying wading through all of the legalese as you prepare :)

I agree with Serenity about the RE. For me, it was such a RELIEF to finally be there (although of course I would rather not have to be there!!). My clinic is super efficient and I just feel so taken care of - like they know what they're doing and that they are doing everything possible to get me pregnant. The testing stuff is annoying and does take a few months, but it is worth it to know exactly what you're facing. The devil you know, etc.

Most of all, welcome back - very glad that you had such an amazing trip. I love the new picture!

ultimatejourney said...

Welcome back to your busy life! Enjoy all of your preparation and good luck with the interview. I agree with the other ladies about the RE. Things won't happen frighteningly fast, and you'll be happy to have answers at the end of it all.

Space Mom said...

Welcome back to sunny Boston!

Good luck on the interview...

If you wish to email me, I know a good RE in the Boston area that works with HPHC...

For me, it was simply great to get a PLAN. He was wonderful in talking throught the tests and then the plan based on the results, etc...

Becks said...

Sounds like the break really did you good and the message from Donna so-and-so must have been great. All the luck in the world girl...happy days are ahead for you!

Dr. Grumbles said...

Sounds like a busy time ahead! Congrats on being recognized and getting a new job opportunity!

I know what you mean about seeing an RE for the first time. While being a beginning of (hopefully) better chances, it is also partially like an end to the "we have just been unlucky" phase.

AwkwardMoments said...

WOW ,how exciting. Good luck on thursday. ALl the reading and political jargon preparing. WOnt that be fun - but yes distracting. Distractions are good and usually help time go by faster. Glad you had a relaxing vacation. Glad you are back

Nicole said...

As a current employee of the USDA, I have to say that I am rather fond of working for the federal government. I hope you get the job you are after.

Hang on to that vacation aura! Consider me green with envy. :)

Caro said...

Glad to see you back.

Good luck for the interview and good luck with the RE too. I know what you mean about being convinced that you may end up spending years on this.

Watson said...

WOW!

Lots going on with you!

I'm glad you had such a great vacation, which hopefully prepared you to come home to such a whirlwind.

Good luck with the interview and be sure to keep us posted, okay?

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! You have a lot on your plate to come home to, good thing you had a chance to do some serious relaxing!

Good luck with the RE and the job possibilities!

Coffeegrljapan said...

Just found you on the Stirrup Queens blog and was so pleased (I mean as pleased as we can be that we're all dealing with this IF crap) to see someone else loosely in the "In the beginning" category. We've hit month 13 or 14 and are waiting on hubby's 2nd semen analysis to take place in another week or two... I've also got numerous years of education in political science/public policy as well, but called it quits before the PhD so my hat is off to you! Good luck with the job interview :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back and congrats on the interview invite! And good luck with the RE appointment.

JW said...

Helloooo!! Welcome back, it sounds fab! I love the new pic of you in the hammock, its perfect. Congrats on the job front! Wow, loads happening in your life at the moment, or is it that we just missed you? Will be thinking about you at the RE appt, hope it'll lead to some answers for you! x

sharah said...

Welcome home! It sounds like your vacation was fabulous.

Don't let the first visit with the RE scare you too much -- I don't think ours did more than glance through the 8-page questionnaire and then proceed to give us the standard blahblahblah. I already knew a lot of what he told us from other bloggers; you probably will too.

And good luck with the interview!

Happy said...

Oooh, I LOVED the Mayan indian ruins! I went years ago w/my parents and at that time we were able to climb the pyramids and everything. Definitely a happy memory.

There is no way to soften the blow, infertility pretty much stinks. We have male infertility...which practically NO ONE has (or maybe it's just not talked about often). The urologist told us that we were only the second patient he had that was not making any guys. Lucky us.

All that said, keep in mind that it WILL happen one way or another. Good luck!

Congrats on the interview!!

Keeping The Faith said...

I finally sat down and went back and read all of your posts so I could be caught up. I've been meaning to do this for some time so I apologize for the length of time it took. You've been a great support to me. I appreciate all of your thoughtful comments!

I think the title of your blog is so fitting. It really is purgatory...the constant waiting and wondering about what your future will hold. I might have been a little cruder and felt like I was just in hell...but that is a little dramatic and we all have to keep it in perspective which you seem to do pretty well. I'm glad you had a great B-day vacation. It is so important to get away and enjoy what you do have. I never did that nearly enough. All I thought about 24/7 for years was infertility... such a drag! I may be exaggerating a little but it seems like I've lost years. I pray and hope so feverishly that you don't go through this much longer.

Also- ask for every available test there is...don't assume that any one thing is causing your infertile status. I hope you like and trust this RE...that is number 1... run if you don't... I realized that way too late and wasted more than a year with my first RE. I just left my treatment in his hands and didn't question much. Let’s just say he was horrible and I didn't know better. Once you're armed with the results of everything you can think of then you'll be able to make some good decisions. One step at a time as Serenity says. And ask every question you have. Don't hold back...you have a right to know. I always had a list of questions a page long. A good doctor will take the time to answer each and every question you have. We have to understand why we're doing what we do or I know I became more and more confused and bewildered.

I hope there is a simple reason with an easy solution so that you can get knocked up ASAP :-) I also hope this interview works out for you and you get the position.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have. I've been through almost all of the exploratory surgeries, testings and have had most of the treatments. I am more than willing to share what I know or what I've been through.

Best of luck to you. I'm here...finally caught up and sending many positive vibes your way. You are in my prayers.