Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Thursday, April 5, 2007

"Life is Unfair" is an understatement!

I learned some terrible, terrible news last night. Since I don't believe in god and do not currently have a Unitarian Universalist church that I call home, I thought I would reach out to those of you in blogland who can spare a few prayers/sun salutations/meditations to help out.

Susan, one of the most wonderfully loving and giving people I have ever known who also happens to have been my therapist for the past four years, has just been diagnosed with throat cancer. The good news is that the cancer is treatable and that the prognosis is good following a 2-month course of chemo and radiation. The bad news is that it is cancer and she is someone who genuinely adds to all that is good in this world. And the planet would suffer a great loss if she were to leave it before she even reaches fifty. The strangest and most frustrating part of this situation is that she has never smoked or chewed tobacco. She is healthy and barely even drinks alcohol (and after listening to me blabber and sniffle for four years, you think she would be consuming large volumes of alcohol ever Wednesday after my appointment!)

I don't know how many of my readers have a therapist. I have been to a couple to help me deal with stress and depression as well as eating disorders (first, compulsive overeating and then compulsive exercise.) If you do, then you know how special the therapist-client relationship can be.

Ok, so now you know that I am screwed up - though I am sure that those detectives out there have already figured that out. Anyway, I went to Susan after a 2-year break from a very disappointing 6-year relationship with a modern psychoanalyst. (Should I point out here that I stay in relationships years after they no longer serve me well?) I was in search of someone who could help me to prepare for a relocation to Sydney, Australia. My ex was an Aussie citizen and, for many reasons that I plan to chronicle someday in my "How to Choose the Perfectly Wrong Mate" book, we decided to move back to Oz for at least a couple of years. Despite the fact that my immediate family is somewhat dysfunctional (my extended family is a disaster!), I struggled with the idea that I wouldn't be able to watch my nieces grow up. As all of you know, having wanted a baby for so long and thinking through every possible facet of being a good mother, it is the being there - at birthday parties, holiday dinners, a soccer game on a Saturday afternoon etc. - that really matters to a child. The fact that my first marriage was not exactly stable as my ex was bipolar but highly unfaithful to medication regiments did not help my fear and sadness about the impending life change.

It was absolutely fated that I met Susan. I may not be religious but I do believe in fate and what-comes-around-goes-around. Susan helped me through the most difficult break-up and break-down of my life. She was there when my ex attempted suicide and I was trying to figure out how to get her to consent to going to the hospital (my ex was a woman.....guess this serves as an outing of sorts....I may blog about my sexual orientation in the future but for now suffice it to say that I fall in love with a person regardless of gender....especially if he/she is emotionally unavailable and unstable. heeeheee. Seriously, I realized that I was bisexual 15 years ago and have not questioned it since)*. Susan counseled me through that most difficult of nights and found office appointments in the middle of the day when I simply couldn't stand being in my own skin and didn't know what to do with myself. She helped me to quell my own suicidal thoughts and to know that I could get through this and find happiness again. She also helped me to take on a cruel dissertation chair while I was struggling to finish that beast and get it out of my life forever. Words cannot express how much I owe my sanity and emotional and physical health to her. She insists it has been all of my hard work but without her unconditional acceptance and validation, as well as her ability to help me to challenge my destructive thoughts, I seriously would not be here today.

When I told my husband that my father would not be walking me down the aisle on our wedding day because that role is reserved for someone who has helped me to become the best of who I am, who has helped me to get to that momentous day, he said, "So Susan is walking you down the aisle then?" That sums it up. [As it turns out, after much difficult deliberation, Susan decided not to come to the wedding in order to avoid inserting her own perceptions of my family and friends into our sessions. My original plan was to have my two nieces walk me down the aisle, which they did. The reasons why my Dad, who I love and am relatively close to now, was not chosen is yet another long story. But if you guessed that it had something to do with my first marriage to my ex, who is a woman, you would be right!]

Ok, I digress - a behavior that Susan puts up with and never seems to tire of!

Have I said yet how much I love Susan, how wonderful she is, how this world would be so much darker without her?

Though I did not ask her to walk me down the aisle, I did dedicate my dissertation to her along with to my husband and my best friend, T. The relevant portion of the dedication reads:

This dissertation is dedicated to the following individuals for helping me
navigate the long and circuitous journey.

To Susan XXXX, the first person to fully comprehend the personal challenges.
I realize that you have never met Susan, and may never meet her, but if you believe that there are some genuinely loving people in this world, people who spread only love and acceptance, then please put in a good word for her with your personal god/goddess/faith healer/etc.
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
*I realize that my sexual orientation may cause some bloggers to stop reading my blog. That fear of rejection haunts me everyday and I have lost friends because of who I am. But I do not apologize for the fact that I can love people for their souls, for who they are, no matter what body they were born into. I am now - and hopefully will forever be - married to a wonderful man who adores me and is stable and giving. This does not change who I am. Like many/most of you who are happily married, I am emotionally and intimately involved with only my husband. I point out all of this because I am quite skilled in predicting the questions that people have when I reveal this part of myself. I am happy to answer any and all questions that you may have - just be prepared for honest answers.

19 comments:

Becks said...

What a heartfelt post. I wish you al the best in your baby quest and Susan all the luck in the world on her journey.

carrie said...

What a wonderful tribute to Susan. I hope you show it to her (does she read your blog?). I will certainly keep her in my prayers and meditations. And your bisexuality, to me, is just another interesting thing about you. Though I hate that you have to defend/explain it (that people have given you reason to do so). I really like how you worded it, as being attracted to souls regardless of the body they were born into. Resonates well with my philosophy.

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

Ow. My head hurts. But its good reading and i feel like i know you!

i've only been going to my therapist for a few months and i like her a lot. A good therapist is hard to find and you're right to keep her. You musn't be so bad at picking people to keeping in your life...b/c you kept her.

i hope she gets better soon!

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

The last thing I want to do is give someone a headache! I tend to worry that I talk too much...I know that I am very skilled at going on off on tagents and side-stories...

I have come to embrace my sexuality as one of the most interesting parts of who I am since, in so many other ways, I am simply a (boring) nice woman who finds somewhat nerdy things like analyzing human behavior (paticularly in political situations) and documentaries on influential figures like Darwin and on natural mysteries like volcanos to be fascinating. And, as my sister has pointed out on more than one occasion, I tend to choose books/novels that other 30-something women would put down after reading the back cover. I need something to make me unique! :-)

Susan does not read my blog because she is not really an email sort of person. But she does plan to communicate via email when her speech is compromised due to the treatment. At that point, I plan to share this post with her.

Thanks!

Serenity said...

I will keep Susan in my thoughts - she sounds like a fantastic woman who's done a lot of good in the world.

And re: your sexual orientation... you'll find absolutely no judgement from me.

*hug*

Dr. Grumbles said...

I hope Susan does well with treatment.

Watson said...

What a sweet tribute to how much Susan has meant to you, and what she will continue to bring to your life in the future.

I'm sure you're prayers/good energy/positive thinking will help her through this terribly scary time.

(And I echo Serenity, no judgement here girl!)

AwkwardMoments said...

I always find myself leaning forward when reading your post- as hangin on the edge of every word - It's a blessing to me - I will pray for Susan -for it is tragic to lose any type of companionship- blessings to you both

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Ok, girls, I have got tears in my eyes. You are so sweet to care about Susan and to understand the role that she plays in my life.

And your words of acceptance about who I am....well....there is truly no words to express how deeply I am touched. When you regularly hear all of the hateful political stuff going on about same-sex marriage and gay rights, you start to believe that 90% of people think that anyone who is not heterosexual should move to an island positioned with an explosive. Or join the army and be deployed to Iraq, well, we all know that we are not welcome there, either!

Love and hugs to all of you!

Happy said...

Thanks for posting on my blog, and what a heartfelt post on yours. Yes, I been to a few therapists in the past 15 years or so. I do know how much one can mean, but I have never had one as fantastic as your Susan. She'll be in my prayers.

As far as your sexuality, it is just another part of who you are...no judgements here.

ultimatejourney said...

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about the cancer. I hope everything turns out well for Susan. I don't have a therapist (although I often wonder if I should) but I would think that would be a very important relationship.

I found your post fascinating, and enjoyed learning about you. Like the others, I'm not one to judge.

Anonymous said...

Sending out prayers/sun salutations/meditations for your friend, Susan. It's a wonderful thing when we find people who make us more than who we are - or maybe they help us uncover who we are?

And to echo what others have already said re: your orientation - no judgment here, either. Loving people for their souls is a beautiful thing.

sharah said...

LIW, the idiots who spout off homophobic crap are loud, but they most certainly are not representative of 90% of the population. We're here for you.

Sarah said...

thanks for your comment on my blog. always nice to make another connection in blogland! i'm so sorry about susan's cancer. it's wonderful that you have her in her life, and reassuring to know how good the prognosis is. i wish you both the best.

Anonymous said...

I am wishing Susan a quick and complete recovery. Life IS unfair.

As far as you life choices, I commend your strength and honesty in being able to admit your true feelings. I believe that respect is one of the keys to making this a good world to live in. We are all different in our views, beliefs and ways from religion to sexual orientation to parenting choices to just about everything else. I think the differences among us are what makes life interesting. I have nothing but respect for anyone who is in touch with their true self.

Nicole said...

I had to check where you were located before I began a true freak out. My therapist is also named Susan, and I think that other than my husband, she is my favorite person in the whole world. I am so sorry that your Susan is ill. I would feel devastated to learn this about my therapist, as I am quite attached.

K said...

LIW -

Although I am, as they say, a "person of faith", I'm a lifelong struggler with the "why does God let terrible things happen to good people?" question. My father died of cancer when I was 17 years old. Having said that, I'll certainly offer up a prayer for Susan, and I'm sending warm and generally healing thoughts your way and hers. And of course, to echo everyone else, I haven't an ounce of judgment in re: your sexual orientation. What makes me want to read your blog is the fact that you seem like a caring, kind, intelligent person. If anything, that just makes you more fascinating. I'm so sorry your therapist is battling cancer, and I hope for the best possible outcome for her, and for you!

Aurelia said...

I'm sorry about Susan, (I love my therapist, I think there is a special place in heaven for them!)

And as for bisexuality? My dear, no biggie, no judgement EVER, I simply applaud you for telling everyone. It takes guts!

Paige Kite said...

You haven't lost this reader! I hope Susan makes a speedy, full recovery.