There ARE, in fact, wonderful people in this world. And what you experience in the IF blog world is not a fiction of your imagination, nor the result of women who effectively misrepresent themselves on paper (albeit electronic paper.) I know because I met one, in the flesh, yesterday!
I am talking about Serenity. I think most of you who read my blog are familiar with the chronicle of her journey, available at http://big2journey.blogspot.com/2007/02/changes.html. (Yes, it is still true that I do not know how to add links to the texts of my posts. I am still grappling with the alphabet soup challenges that Blogger and other programs require - one thing at a time!)
As it turns out, she and I work only a few streets away from each other. Life is funny that way. Since so many of you do not have the great fortune to work/live close enough to Serenity to simply meet her for lunch, I thought I would share a few things about her that either cannot be obtained from her blog or are, at best, downplayed by the written word. (The irony of the fact that I am now sharing these things via written words does not escape me but I am learning to accept my limitations...)
Despite her clever and well-written posts, Serenity simply does not convey to her readers how the genuinely friendly sparkle in her expressive brown eyes lights up her face. Her energy and enthusiasm for life are infectious, yet she approaches serious topics with an air of calm confidence. She is one of a select few people that I have met who share my ability to talk about nearly anything and everything with equal parts reflection and excitement. The opportunities presented by her new clinic? Check! My Aussie Shepherd's tendency to bring a litany of toys onto my lap until I agree to play with him. Check! The strange way that pet fur creates full-size animals shapes under beds and in stair corners. Check!
What amazes me is that we covered so much but yet feel like we only touched the surface.
All of the people that I consider my greatest and closest friends have a zest for life that is carried by a loving heart and a concern that there simply needs to be more supportive interactions in this world.
Serenity has the makings of a great friend.
(Would it be too over-the-top sappy to say that I am actually grateful that I did not become one of those shallow fully-fertile types who took her ability to reproduce for granted and ended up surrounded by women who cannot get beyond the fact that they had their babies a few months sooner than they planned?)
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

13 comments:
I don't think it is over the top sappy to be grateful that you weren't a fully fertile person. I think it makes you more appreciative of things when you have to work hard for them.
There is one thing for sure that infertility teaches us - children are a miracle. I don't think any of us will take our children for granted.
I am glad you met Serenity!
Not sappy at all. Every once in awhile when I am in learned Buddha mode, I remember that I am lucky to be able to even begin to understand the challenges of getting and staying pregnant. I am grateful for the clue it gives me.
*smacks forehead HARD*
Dammit, I totally forgot to post about our meeting yesterday! I can't believe I did that!
You're too sweet.
And it's not sappy in the least... one of the beautiful parts of IF is that I got to meet wonderful, strong, fantastic women (and men too, cause I've met Smarshy). I don't take that for granted in the slightest.
Off to update today's post...
I think even the IF blog world really shows us that there are wonderful people in the world. We reach out to each other without expecting anything in return, and provide much-needed comfort and support. But the fact that you were able to meet in person is the icing on the cake. I just went to a RESOLVE peer discussion group last night so I know how important in-person contact with other IFs can be. I'm so glad you were able to meet Serenity!
Found your blog by way of Serenity. Love the way you write! I HATE the word verifcation thingys to allow you to post a comment....hm....I see one here on your blog. Damn! lol
I have to admit I'm jealous, I so wish I lived on your coast and I could join both of you amazing ladies for lunch one day!!
Hey, we must work right around the corner form eachother too, since I too work near Serenity and have had the good fortune to meet her.
What if we work for the same firm? What if we sit on the same floor? What if you are that girl 3 offices over whose name I keep forgetting?
Oh jeez now I'm totally freaked out.
Yay! Isn't it so much fun to meet other bloggers? I'm lucky enough to have met the three in my area (we're now doing monthly dinners *smug grin*).
You know what I would love? Is a huge national conference of IF bloggers. I would so be all over something like that, getting the chance to meet all you fantastic ladies (and men) in person.
What a lovely post about Serenity. And thanks for the special insider information. She does seem wonderful from her blog and it sounds like she's even better in person.
This is one great thing we can gain from our IF, meeting such wonderful friends.
wow what a great way to make new friends !!! Rock on
Very cool that you gal's (and Smarshy) could meet each other. I wish that more of us could meet and get together.
I agree with my reality, children are miracles and blessings.
We will be the most grateful, patient loving parents because of our struggles!! (hugs)
Just found your blog from Serenity's. That is so great you were able to meet a fellow blogger in person. It amazes me how we find such an instant bond to strangers around the world through our simliar struggles. One thing I've always been thankful for is that I will treasure and cherish my children that much more because of the struggles to get there. Sometimes I think we may be the lucky ones to learn such a valuable lesson in life. I just wish it was easier for all of us.
Post a Comment