Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Monday, March 31, 2008

I'm Panicking....Anyone have any advice?

So, today I didn't feel "right." As in, by the afternoon, my belly felt smaller and I simply didn't feel pregnant anymore. Sure, I felt tired like I have so many times but something just felt wrong.

And then this evening I remembered last night. I woke up to go to the bathroom and my pjs were incredibly wet. There was no blood so I breathed easier and thought that maybe I had gotten really sweaty there. Even though I didn't feel hot anywhere else. I went back to bed and ultimately back to sleep. At the time, I didn't worry.

But tonight I decided to do a little research about miscarriage signs past the first 12 weeks. And, you guessed it, a gush of fluid is one of the signs listed.

In tears, I called the on-call nurse through my OB's practice and she told me that miscarriages at my point in the pregnancy are unlikely to involve large gushes of fluid. Though Little Life is swimming in amniotic fluid, there's not really much at this point. But she put a call into the OB on duty.

The OB called me back and told me to call my OB's office in the morning. She said that they rarely see miscarriages with signs like that one at this point in a pregnancy. But to get an ultrasound to at least "put my mind at ease."

I tried - in vain - to describe to both the nurse and the OB how I felt "different" - like something wasn't right. The nurse told me that it is common to feel this way at this point in the pregnancy - when most of the symptoms are gone and the baby's movements are not yet felt.

But I am simply not comforted. The OB told me that the best idea would have been to call my OB this morning. But I have been trying not to panic and, honestly, I have myself so trained to NOT freak out over anything less than blood.

When I asked if I should go to the Emergency Room, she assured me that it can wait until tomorrow. That I should only go to the ER if I am dying (what kind of comment is that?) That it is unlikely anything is wrong since I felt ok today. But when I remembered to tell her that I DID experience more cramping than usual yesterday, she told me to call my OB's office first thing and ask for an u/s. She told me that it will put my mind at ease. That they should check to make sure that there is enough amniotic fluid.

I am panicking. I am frustrated. I will call my OB's office in the morning BUT they only have access to low-budget u/s machines. I am not sure whether or not they will be able to get me in to one of the two locations that do diagnostic u/s.

Overall, I am SO FUCKING SCARED. And I can't seem to stop crying. I want Little Life to make it into a real, live, healthy baby in October. And to even consider that it's all over........

I know that our chances of miscarriage are very small. I know that Little Life had a nice, strong heartbeat last Tuesday in the NT scan. That everything looked great.

One question the OB that called me back tonight asked was whether or not I had a fever. I didn't know at the time but I just took my temperature and, though it is higher than normal for me, I don't think it is high for pregnancy. It was 98.something (high, though I can't remember exactly.) Non-pregnant, I am 97.8, so I would expect to be nearly two degrees higher while pregnant. Since the number was not even close to 100, I figure I am not running a fever.

Ugh, more cramping. But it is not severe - not even close. I am trying not to panic....

The OB told me that it is likely that I leaked urine in my sleep. I know that I didn't fully pee myself because my bladder was still full when I got up. But I *have* noticed that many nights, I wake up in absolute pain because my bladder is so full. It's a different experience from what I am used to (in my non-pregnant life, I usually wake up once or twice a night to pee but I am never in pain.) Last night, when my pjs were wet, I was not in pain. Perhaps a little urine leaked out after all.

Fuck. I know that I am going to have nightmares tonight. And I don't know how many hours I will have to wait before getting an answer.

To make matters worse, Mr. LIW discovered that someone had tried to break in to our home when he returned from work tonight. Luckily, for a change, he arrived before I did. It's clear that someone broke the door on the second floor of our house. They must be quite athletic because they had to climb up on our porch to get there. Our assumption is that our Aussie Shepherd, Leo, scared them off. He seriously freaked out when the police came to write a report.....a sign that he was spooked by the attempted thieves earlier in the day.

So, while I have been sitting here crying and stressing out, Mr. LIW has been putting a major chain on the broken door. Our plan is to replace the door this weekend.

Has anyone had an experience like I did last night? Even if you just heard about it from someone else.....do you think that it was urine and not amniotic fluid???

I am really scared. And I have tried so very hard to not panic about every little thing (you all know what a struggle that is for me!) but this has pulled the rug out from under me. At least the OB gave me a positive scenario. At least I know it may be something other than amniotic fluid.

But, if you pray/meditate/etc. would you kindly say a few for me and Little Life? God, I hope he/she is ok.....

In the meantime, I am going to continue to try to think positively.....

17 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I'm holding you, Mr LIW and LL in my thoughts.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

MrsSpock said...

Can you sniff the sheets? Urine smells like urine. Is there a slight ammonia odor? Having to pee throughout the night is par for the course at this stage of pregnancy. Do you sleep too soundly to get up to pee?

I have night sweats as part of my fibromyalgia- and they increased a lot with pregnancy. Night sweats don't necessarily happen because you are hot.

FWIW, my normal temps are in the mid 97s and pregnant they are 98.6ish.

I understand the panic, though. I've had multiple extra visits and calls to the nurse because of it. Hang in there. Let us know how tomorrow goes.

Fat Girl said...

I know how hard it is not to panic, but I think the nurse is right. It's very probable that it was urine. Mrs. Sprock's suggestion to smell the sheets is a good one! It might help put your mind at ease. I hope you are able to sleep tonight. It will make the morning come faster if you sleep.

I'm praying for you and Little Life.

Caro said...

Thinking of you.

Meghan said...

It's impossible for us not to panic and imagine the worse. This may be WAY TMI but I have had crazy amounts of discharge (to that incredibly wet point you mentioned), starting when the I hit the 2nd tri. I was worried too but my OB said it was completely normal when I was there last week.

I'll be thinking of you until you can get that u/s

MsPrufrock said...

I have no wisdom to offer, I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck today that your fears are alleviated.

I'll be thinking of you.

niobe said...

How terrifying. Thinking of you and LL.

Waiting Amy said...

Oh honey! I wish I'd seen this last night.

I had something very similar happen at 9 weeks. A gush of mostly clear, slightly pink tinged fluid. Then some mild cramping the next morning. The conclusion eventually was that it may have been fluid from my subchoronic bleed. For some reason it was not frank blood, but just other fluids. Maybe the clot had organized.

However, lots of people told me it must be urine, and that was certainly plausible.

Hoping you get some reassurance and everything is fine!

jen @ negative lane said...

How scary. I hope everything is alright.

I agree with Mrs. Spock that it's probably night sweats. I've been getting them recently in this pregnancy as the weather is starting to turn toward spring, even when it doesn't seem that warm out. It's also possible that it was urine, even though you still had a fairly full bladder when you got up, it could have been just a little leak. That's another fun part of pregnancy that usually starts in the second trimester.

I need to add that if it was amniotic fluid, you would keep leaking. I had pPROM with my first and I leaked for two days before my water finally broke at 34 weeks. It was a sweaty feeling, but it never went away. I felt wet/sweaty all the time (didn't at the time know that's what leaking would feel like). And since it's too early for the baby to be engaged and its head to be blocking the flow of fluid at all (if there were to be a leak), I would think you'd definitely feel more fluid.

However, there's nothing wrong with getting checked out. In fact, it's definitely the right thing to do. I hope they can ease some of your fears.

Keep us posted.

LJ said...

I'm here holding my breath hoping everything is okay. If I don't hear from you by noon, I am so digging out your number and calling.

Tracy said...

I have to tell you, I feel exactly the same way. There have been times over the past week where I've just felt "not pregnant." Like something was wrong, and I felt smaller somehow.

And, I had one episode where I went up to the bathroom and my panties were all wet. I do agree that urine can smell like urine, but when you're drinking copious amounts of fluid it can also become diluted and clear, and I really do think that I had some "leakage" though it did freak me out at the time.

Last night, I woke up blazing hot, and insisted Scott feel my forehead. Nope, I wasn't feverish. Just some kind of a surge, I guess.

As far as cramps, I've had a bunch of cramping, too, which I think is more pronounced as I get bigger, but is still gastrointestinal in nature. Or, sometimes, once I pee I feel better.

Of course, all of this added together has caused me to freak out at various stages, but at the end of the day, I HAVE to tell myself that if I am miscarrying, there is nothing I can do about it other than what I'm doing, and that ODDS ARE it's nothing but normal pregnancy stuff.

I'm thinking the same thing for you, but I really hope you get some reassurances soon...

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, as always.

xo

AwkwardMoments said...

I am a little late on reading this. I am h oping that your OB has called you back and they are taking good care of you. You all are in my thoughts

vamplita said...

You and Little Life are in my thoughts and prayers today - please KUP.

Mazzy said...

I am praying hard for you, sugar!!!
Please update us ASAP.

Space Mom said...

The most likely answer is that you had nightsweats or a cervical mucus discharge.

As you move out of the first trimester into the second, you will exeperience some odd things. One is light headedness and dizziness. Another is a change in cervical mucus. It becomes runnier and stays this way until you are close to labor.

Get the u/s. Unfortunately, you are in the nowhere land of "can't feel it yet" and "symptoms are going away" because of the 2nd trimester.

Hang in there and please update us!

Loren said...

I am so sorry you are experiencing this! I have nothing to add as far as experiences with anything like this from me or any of my friends- but try hard to stay positive. You still have no concrete reason to assume LL is not perfectly safe and snuggled in there. KUP and lots of hugs your way...

megan said...

i'm so sorry you have to deal with a scare like this. another thing is that with pregnancy often comes an increase in discharge in general. one of our docs told us that it isn't uncommon for women to have to change their undies 3-4 times a day. maybe you're experiencing something like this? i know i've had (and sorry -- TMI, i know but...) heavier discharge since my second trimester and sometimes it was a bit scary but turned out to be a-okay. hang in there miss LIW. thinking of you.