Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Monday, February 4, 2008

My Heart is Broken....and a Mystery of Sorts

Please, please, please send your love and support to Mary Ellen and Steve. I simply cannot imagine what they are going through right now. I honestly don't know how anyone could pick themselves up and move on after that tragedy. I hope that they will let me be there for them. I hope that I can help. Most of all, I hope that they find the inner strength to trust that some day this will hurt at a manageable level and that they will find the happiness they have been seeking for years......

I love them both and my heart continues to break for them......

*********************************
Boy, am I having a hard time today. I feel so weepy. I had hoped that it wouldn't get worse than it was last week and...well....I was wrong. It feels very chemical, though, so I think it is the hormones and the constant shakiness and fatigue. It doesn't help that I have been feeling pretty nauseous. I had a reprieve yesterday during the day but I think it was short-lived. It didn't help that I indulged in a burger and fries for dinner last night. I think that was a mistake.

I am confused people. Thoroughly confused. My stomach excluded, I noticed that my pants are baggier. So, I weighed myself on Saturday morning and I have lost 4 pounds.

But - and this is a BIG one -

I fucking look pregnant. So much so that a friend of mine that I had not seen in a while guessed I was pregnant Friday night. She knew that I was struggling with infertility but had no idea that I had undergone an ivf cycle. She's a nurse, which was her defense at how she had guessed.

I told her to feel my stomach and she agreed with my assessment that it had "popped" already.

I am 5 weeks, people. That means I have 35 weeks to go.

My sister kind of depressed me yesterday when she told me it "is not supposed to happen this way." You are "not even supposed to look pregnant yet."

OUCH.

Perhaps it is because my body is hyped-up on progesterone? Could it have something to do with the fact that my body has been full of hormones since December?

There's still the possibility of twins. Which would at least explain it.

I don't think that the average person notices. But, if you have seen me over the last few months, then you probably would at least be suspicious.

So what does this mean? Will I be HUGE in a few months?

Ugh. The moodiness is making this a more disturbing thought than it needs to be.

I am 150% committed to letting my body do whatever it needs to do for a successful pregnancy. If I become enormous, then so be it. It won't be because I am abusing food in any way. It will be because my body is doing what it needs to do.

I am just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. And how could I have lost weight yet have a pregnant-looking stomach??

Pregnancy is simply the most bizarre experience. I wouldn't trade this pregnancy for the world, don't misunderstand. I am just not used to my body surprising me this way, you know? If this pregnancy succeeds, it will be only the first of many, many surprises, I am sure of that.

I think I am also emotional because I know what is at stake. The thought of losing this pregnancy scares me to the core....

12 comments:

Waiting Amy said...

Don't worry LIW. I definitely have a slight visible belly, and yet have not gained weight. At my first OB appt at 10wks I was the same weight as pre-pregnancy. Yet my pants aren't fitting and I'm uncomfortable. I think if you've got twins, it makes a lot of sense (even if not, it could be totally normal!).

Hang in there, things will keep changing.

M said...

You will most like lose some of that visibility soon....but not for long...twins or not. Bloating is sooooooooo fun. I actually got back into normal pants after I fought off the awful OHSS I had...but only for a few more weeks. More surprises to come I promise.

Sounds like things are moving along great.

Deborah said...

Could it be that losing weight is making your belly stick out more? I really have no idea. Anyway, it's not exactly a warning sign of anything (except maybe having to make the news public a little earlier than you might want).

How long til your 1st ultrasound? If it's twins, at least you'll have an explanation.

MrsSpock said...

My mother always showed at 8 weeks...but she was a 95 lb 4'10" Sicilian...

MsPrufrock said...

I usually don't advise people to google stuff, but as it seems like bloatedness is very common in early pregnancy. Google it!

For instance:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/maternal/messages/53883.html

Mel said...

I have no words of advice on your rapidly expanding mid-section, but let's hope it's just a good sign of great things to come. So sorry you are dealing with emotions and fear-stay positive, I am wishing you a very happy and healthy pregnancy!

Adriane said...

No advice from me....maybe it's bloating that is making your stomach appear larger? I bet the progesterone is making you "moody" too.

Hang in there - at least you're losing weight. I'm gaining like it's my job. :-( And it's not.

Natalie said...

My SIL, at 20 weeks, looked roughly the same as I did at 8 weeks. Don't know why. I just started showing right away... not a HUGE amount, but it was there.

I'm 31 weeks now and definitely not huge. I actually really appreciated having that growing belly early! (SIL is completely depressed that she still doesn't have one...)

Cibele said...

It is amazing what people say to us when we are pregnant, at same day somebody will say : WOW, you�re huge and the very next person would say, you don�t even look pregnant yet� It is very tiring. Don�t worry, what if you look pregnant already??? It does not matter, it does not mean that you will be huge. It took me forever to pop, but once I did I grew fast. It varies from woman to woman� You�re right, pregnancy is a very unusual experience. I thought that my body would react one way and it didn�t. Be ready for more surprises!

Dr. Grumbles said...

I am sure it is hormonal bloat. I am no IVF expert, but I can remember IVF bloggers complaining of bloat and looking pregnant even before getting the BFP!

There are worse things than looking pregnant when you actually are, right?

christina(apronstrings) said...

YOU ARE BLOATED. remember your dear little body just went through so much! your ovaries are swollen, your ute is rapidly expanding and therby pushing all of your organs out of place.
on a couple of weeks your tummy will get flatter when your organs figure out waht's going on and the bloat will go down.
though, at 9 weeks i am already in maternity clothing ; 0

Anonymous said...

I am 9 1/2 weeks and popping out already. I was actually showing at about 6 wks.

With my first pregnancy (we lost our daughter at 22 1/2 wks)last year, I hardly popped out, but then again her kidneys had failed and therefore did not produce adequate amounts of amniotic fluid.

i am taking this belly as a very good sign.

Also try googling 9 weeks pregnant or wherever you are at (5?). Google in the images category and you will see many bellies. Most of those ladies are popping out too and early. Safey in numbers!

Congratulations on your pregnancy, your fears are very valid, but I hope you find a way of keeping them at bay.

Your friend.