Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Monday, February 25, 2008

It's like an adventure with food (but not in a good way!)

Disgust with nearly everything edible continues. I dream of not eating but then an empty stomach is worse. At least Ga.s-X has saved me from the most painful gas pains ever (so much so that I would star in a commercial, if I was asked), for which I will be eternally grateful. But food, as a general rule, simply grosses me out.

Finding things to keep my stomach occupied - in order to avoid greater food disgust when my stomach gets hungry - is like a funny game. And not funny in a "ha-ha" sense but in a "isn't life sneaky and clever" sense. Part of the irony resides in the fact that dinners composed mostly of protein help me to feel better over the long run. Yet meat largely disgusts me. At first, chicken was acceptable. But now I even struggle to consume chicken wings - an old comfort food. Steak tips last night? Reigning in my gag reflux was a challenge for sure. A pork chop tasted great late last week so my hope is that I can repeat that performance tonight. But I never know. My aversions change in intensity as well as in target nearly by the minute. I no longer bring lunch to work because I am grossed out by all options in the morning and I simply cannot anticipate what will present itself as barely edible. One thing for certain - I abhor veggies. I managed to eat a very small serving last night but I needed to wash down every bite with Gator.ade.

Lately, the two foods I crave? French fries (the frozen kind that you bake in the oven) and Swe.et Tart candy. WTF? Don't ask. Neither leave me feeling well or even better. In fact, I ate so much of the candy (the bags of bunnies and ducks for easter are out!) on Friday that I hurt my mouth. It's only barely recovered. But how did I feel after I ate most of the bag? Yucky in every way. But boy do I enjoy the taste when they are in my mouth.

French fries - as long as they are not greasy - are perfect. I salt them (a little more than usual) and then drench them in ketchup. I guess ketchup is another acceptable food, though only with fries. It's the salt and tangyness that makes that combo work so well.

However, as mentioned above, french fries don't do whatever it takes to keep me from waking up naeseous in the middle of the night. And the next morning. Only protein does that. And I find protein hard to eat.

A bagel around 9:30am still seems to be helping. But I have to get it from a certain place and it has to be cinnamon sugar. Which is weird because I would rarely go for that kind.

It's all strange. Luckily, I had somewhat of an appetite when we met my sister and her family for dinner on Saturday night. But when I tried to eat my leftovers on Sunday. BLACH. Even though I had brought home one of my very favorite desserts. YUCK.

I am not worried about nutrition or calories at this point. The prenatal vitamins (as well as my body's fat stores) will keep Little Life eating well. And I think I generally eat less than I do during pre-pregnancy. At this point, if I find a food that is both even slightly appealing to me AND doesn't give me major indigestion, I would yell it's name from the roof tops.

Another challenge was attempting not to freak out and go to the hospital on Saturday afternoon. I experienced some cramping in my lower right abdomen that I knew for sure was not intestinal. It was not especially painful, though sometimes it was a bit sharper than others and it was almost always vertical. It happened every few minutes for over 90 minutes. I kept checking for blood and there was nothing (thank goodness!!) I lied down with a heating pad, which either helped or was simply a coincidence - I couldn't tell and I didn't care. I was starting to panic so I revisited all those websites I have already read that indicate cramping without bleeding is nothing to worry about.

When I saw my sister at dinner, I told her about it. She assured me there was no need to panic. She said that she experienced the same thing and it makes sense since there is so much growth going on in there. She imitated Little Life stretching his limbs, saying with a smile, "he is probably doing this and making a nice home for himself." (My sister is another person entirely convinced that Little Life is a boy.)

So, for the most part, I went back to my very confident state about this pregnancy. I have actually surprised myself because, except for some intermittent moments of panic, I rarely have to remind myself that our chances of avoiding miscarriage at this point are 98% (though it is no coincidence that I mention it here.) I think I am finally accepting this. I no longer feel like I am holding my breath and the days now drag a little less. I am excited that next Thursday (the 6th) is both 10 weeks and my last Crin.one application. I am starting to believe that I am like the majority of pregnant women who bring home a healthy baby from a pregnancy.

But, like a good offspring, Little Life had to shake things up a little. Had the cramps not lasted for so long, I would have worried less. So, hopefully they don't happen again for such an extended period but, if they do, I will get through it. That's a good lesson for parenthood, no? No matter what, try not to panic. Since I am not exactly well-suited to that type of mindset, I might as well get some practice now!

11 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm right there with you on the veggies and meat (for the most part.) I've been eating cottage cheese, beans and peanut butter, oh and cheese, to get in some extra protein. Seems to help.

Hang in there!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I can't imagine how awful it feels to have virtually no food choices.

BTW, I'm filming a gas commercial. Would you star in it?

AwkwardMoments said...

Yes Proteinand veggies - thats still about the only thing that seems satisfactory to eat. I do love me a bagel though. I usually grab one before going to work. I had a hard time eating things in the beginning. I am hoping that there is a break for you around the corner! It really is an awful feeling. I am glad the cramps did not pose as anyting to worry about. Sounds like your sister is a smart girl! My dr told me - that if the cramping/pain feeling could be controlable by laying down - then I should not worry - sounds like you already figured that out

Deborah said...

Yup, having the same problem (due a week after you). Things look good when I pack them for lunch, but when I get to work, just looking at them makes me nauseous. The worst part, for me, is that when I start craving unhealthy foods, I've been told by several people that it's just a junk food craving, not pregnancy-related, and I shouldn't blame it on pregnancy, and if I give in I'll regret it later. Excuse me? Believe me, if I eat something that makes me nauseous, I'll regret that later, too. My advice: eat whatever the hell you want! Good luck.

christina(apronstrings) said...

they're right, eat what you can keep down. i went to mcdonalds 4x in ONE day last week.
and i've given up on getting food ahead of time. it's such a waste.
cramping is soooo normal. you're ute is eventually going to be 500X to 1000X larger. it was the size of a small, tight fist two weeks ago. next week it will be the size of a grapefruit. if you didn't feel that it'd be weird. i used to kind of like it. it's like little one is saying-GIVE ME ROOM!.
: )

Ellie's Mom said...

I have french fries for lunch in solidarity with you :)

Mazzy said...

I'm not even pregnant, and I crave fries and sweet tarts! YUM! :)
I'd say I hope the morning sickness subsides, but in your case I think it's a good thing so I will keep my fingers crossed for continued food aversions as a constant reminder that Little Life is kicking ass and taking names in there.

Adriane said...

The food aversions/cravings really suck. Just focus on not being nausesous and you can worry about veggies in teh second tri. (That's the advice my OB gave me!)

After reading your post I'm craving french fries!

I also had some odd cramps here and there and I think it was just from things stretching out and maybe my cysts. Anyway, the pains have subsided completely for me. Hope yours do soon!!

MrsSpock said...

I ate a LOT of french fries and a LOT of steak during the first trimester. And I rarely eat meat.

I cramped the whole 1st tri and was scared the whole time. Occasionally I felt stabbing pains along the side. RE said it was all uterine stretching and ligament pain.

niobe said...

It's good that you're finding at least some things that seem appealing to eat. My bet is things will start to get much, much better in the next month or so.

Tara said...

It DOES sound like a hangover!

Fries = yes. Veggies = no.


Glad to hear that you and Little Life are getting more acquainted.