If anyone ever told me that I would feel like my breasts were burning without actually being on fire I would have told them that they were insane.
You see, I never feel anything in my breasts. Some women have really sensitive breasts. As a rule, I do not. Even around AF. Most of the time, I actually ignore them. I think they are too small and nothing exciting. And, since they rarely force me to acknowledge them (beyond putting on a bra in the morning), I hardly even think about them.
But, wow, has that all changed. I thought that the fertility drugs forced as much feeling into my breasts as they could manage. I was wrong.
As I mentioned previously, they have hurt for a couple of weeks now. And the feelings have only intensified lately The worst has been my nip.ples, which I seriously never want anyone to touch for any reason ever again. And I have noticed that my breasts aren't sitting too comfortably in my B-cup (usually slightly push-up) bras for a couple of days now. I actually notice the skin touching the fabric. And that I breathe a sigh of relief when I take my bra off at night.
But today is the first day that they feel like they are burning. Not *exactly* on fire, but like I have been stung or my skin is really, really raw. It's weird. But bring it on. If all of this leads to a healthy baby or two, then I am ready.
I am finding that I am increasingly nauseous and find it harder and harder to find food appetizing. And my intestines are clogged - an appetite killer for sure. This is bad for many reasons. My ulcer likes to take advantage of an empty stomach. And I feel so weak and sleepy - even dizzy at times - these days that I need to keep the food coming. I think I have even lost a few pounds in the last 2 or 3 weeks because my clothes feel a bit looser. My stomach still protrudes - and is firmer - more than before but I don't think I have gained any weight yet. Which is good. I know that my time will come.
Overall, I am still ecstatic. And incredulous. And grateful every minute of every day for this pregnancy.
*************************
Ok, this is a total tangent. I just wanted to scream REALLY REALLY LOUDLY because this world is so unfair.
I just got word that Mary Ellen may be in full-blown labor in Pheonix. This is TERRIBLE. And so unfair. If she loses those three little ones I don't know how she will survive. How do you get through that, especially after years of fighting with IF??? Please pray or do whatever you do that might help.... I might actually say a prayer or two in case I am wrong about the "no god" thing.
Also, my SIL came out last night to her parents. She is 18 and confided in me last year that she has known since she was 5 that she was a man in a woman's body. I thought she was a lesbian because, well, she looks like a lesbian and reminds me of my exes in some ways. She came out to me knowing that I am bis.exual and that I am very progressive. She told Mr. LIW last year over Christmas while she was visiting. Mr. LIW, because he is one of the most wonderful men I have ever met and is an incredibly dedicated family man, vowed to stand by her no matter what.
(I realize that I should refer to my SIL as "he" but I can't yet, at least not until you understand the story. I have agreed, of course, to start calling him by his chosen name "Liam.")
So, my SIL told me a week ago that she wanted to come out to her parents. Neither me nor Mr. LIW thought it was a good idea. We were hoping that she would wait until college. But she felt ready and had found a really supportive group to turn to if she got kicked out of her house.
Well, needless to say, it didn't go well. In fact, it went terribly. My MIL told my SIL that there was no such thing as trans and that she was just trying to be cool. SIL was terrified and didn't know what to say but started to say something about how I have had trans friends (which is true) so my MIL BLAMED IT ON ME. She said, "LIW convinced you to think this." And my MIL doesn't even know my sexual orientation, she only knows how progressive I am.
Mr. LIW and I decided not to tell her about my sexual orientation years ago because she *never* asks any questions about me or my past. But Mr. LIW promised to stand by me no matter what and, if she couldn't accept me, then she wouldn't be part of our life. His mother had been so rude to his ex - ignoring and dismissing her to her face because she hadn't finished college and had a daughter. Mr. LIW didn't do much about it at the time and regretted it. So, he made it clear to my MIL that she better treat me well very early on in our relationship. She made some excuse - as in, "that's the way I am" (nice apology, huh?) - but she has treated me well all along - largely because I have a PhD.
Anyway, I kind of wish I had told her then - maybe it would be a little easier for my SIL. But maybe not. My MIL *thinks* she is open-minded but she isn't. I understand that being trans is bizarre to people but, if nature does lots of mysterious things, why can't we believe that mistakes are made in terms of a person's sex?
So, Mr. LIW and I talked about it this morning. We are both disappointed in - and angry at - his mother. His father has said nothing about it and hasn't even talked to my SIL about her coming-out letter. I have a feeling he would choose accepting her over losing her. But we will see.
Mr. LIW is ready for battle with his mother, I think. When I said, "well, there's our answer as to whether or not she would have accepted me" he said, "I just might tell her about you." That's fine with me. I hate being closeted with anyone. Not to mention the fact that my MIL is NOT easy to take. She is self-absorbed and controlling and has no idea what compassion is. She's gotten better but, honestly, I could survive without her. It would be sad for our kids not to know her but it won't be tragic. We have been waiting for my MIL and FIL to divorce for years (we think it will happen next year) so we can still be involved with my FIL if he is willing. My children will have my family and a boatload of my friends. As will Mr. LIW and my SIL. She may move in with us after she graduates in May. We will see how it all pans out. But please send her loving thoughts. I am trying to make sure that she does not fall victim to the siren song of suicide. She hasn't said anything on that score lately but she won't promise me to the contrary, either. I have told her about the fact that there ARE people who will accept her, especially here in Boston. She's in Colorado so I can't physically check on her. I just don't want to lose her.....
Mr. LIW says that it's up to his mother now: she can be cruel and/or she can try to accept her. She doesn't have to *understand* where my SIL is or how she got that way. But she doesn't have to be cruel and hateful towards her.
It's just really, really, sad. This world is SO unfair. For two wonderfully smart and great people - Mary Ellen and my SIL - to be enduring so much is simply unfair.
I wish I was powerful enough to reward good people with an easier life.....
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

8 comments:
First, on the boobs...yeah, I never knew they could feel that way. It's just starting to get better. I was a barely B and had to upgrade already.
Sorry about everything with your SIL. It must be horrible for her to have her mother reject her like that. She is very lucky to have you for support
Where to start? First a quick "hurray" on the pregnancy front.
And then the promise that I will of course send all the hope I can to ME.
But most of all, I would like to send your SIL a huge hug. Your MIL sounds like a complete ass but your SIL is very young to be able to make that judgement about her own mother and so she probably won't. And no, I'm not bi or lesbian or anything other than hetero but that doesn't preclude me from having an enormous amount of empathy for your SIL. Fuck those people who can't simply accept others for who they are.
Enough said?
DinoD
I am glad that your boobs are making their presence known.
My heart breaks for Me.
I wish your SIL lots of strength as she forms her new identity and deals with your in-laws.
Your poor SIL. I'm pretty progressive myself, and have always thought it would be just as cool to have a gay child as a hetero. Being trans is that much harder on someone, especially a kid- I feel for your SIL. Of course, she did not have a say in who she is- I hope she finds peace and acceptance somewhere.
I am sorry your boobs are being so painful for you! As for unfairity of life - I am so sorry that life is being cruel to ME and your SIL - both are getting my warm thoughts
Wow, what a lot to be holding at once - the 5-week thrill, the fears and concerns and support for your SIL and well-placed anger with your MIL - not to mention all the physical discomfort you're feeling right now. Hope you have some down time this weekend just to process everything! How great for your SIL to have you and Mr. LIW in her life!
There's a lot of stuff covered in your post. Everything always seems to happen at once, and it gets a little overwhelming, especially when dealing with such sad situations as Mary Ellen and Steve's and a difficult situation as your SIL is facing. She definitely is lucky to have you for support.
my boobs are too big mounds of hurt. ouch! i actaully hold them in my hands when i walk around the house. get thyself a jogbra and wear it 24/7.
Post a Comment