Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Monday, May 21, 2007

A watched OPK never rings...

or displays two blue lines.

Per Dr. Gentle's advice, this cycle involves use of the Clea.rBlu.e Easy OPKs in order to pinpoint ovulation and save those fertility swimmers for my most fertile 24-48 hours only (as opposed to every 24-48 hours from CD 10-18, which is what we have been doing). I used another company's OPKs last fall and found them to be largely frustrating and hugely unhelpful so I stopped wasting the $20. I simply never received a clear yes. The tests gave me some hints but I decided that my body sent me other hints for free and I would rely on those instead. Dr. Google told me much later that taking the tests first thing in the morning was not advisable. But at which other point in the day is my liquid waste concentrated? Seriously. I drink more than the recommended dosage of water each day and, consequently, frequently visit the bathroom. My body feels best when sufficiently hydrated and only sleep forces me to hold my bladder. Dr. Gentle told me that the CB Easy kit was the best on the market and, even though testing in the afternoon is best, the kit allows me to test at any time.

On the morning of CD11, I opened the package and took the first test. And there was not even a hint of a second line.

Today is CD 13. And my cycles are typically short, as all of you avid readers know. So, where the f#$%& was the second line this morning? Not even a hue or a touch of blue, despite how I held it in the light.

The EWCM that usually appears around CD10 is barely evident. And, clearly, the LH surge is nowhere to be found. So, what the f$%& is going on with my body?

The last time that I was (almost) certain that ovulation happened late (CD17) was in November before the fertilization that turned into a premature miscarriage. I am trying to stay hopeful (all of you know what a useless enterprise that can be!) that delayed ovulation = increased chance of pregnancy, especially if the source of my luteal phase defect is underdeveloped follicles. But maybe this means that I don't always ovulate.

The only thing I DO know (thanks to those annoying OPK tests in the fall) is that I do not always ovulate at the same time in every cycle, which may be the result of cycles that vary by as much as three days. And I am CERTAIN that this annoys and frustrates me.

My nearly non-existent patience is running at an all-time low. Even though I am still slightly nervous about Clo.mid, I think all of you have put my mind at ease enough so that I just want to jump to my next cycle. The angst of needing to do something has claimed my mind once again.

(BTW, I missed all of you and plan to catch up on your blogs over the next two days. If I don't comment, it does not mean that I haven't read your posts, only that I was pressed for time. As always, I hope to find lots of good news!)

11 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

Ahh, the OPK dance routine. I hope you get 2 blue lines soon.

TeamWinks said...

Today is my cycle day 18, and FINALLY I got two lines on my OPK. Good times. I feel your pain!

Dr. Grumbles said...

I originally had the problem of not getting a definite yes. I get the clearest answers from INverness OPKs, which are sold as the store brand at Walgreens and Rite Aid (and are sold on Drugstore.com). They are cheaper than ClearBlue.

Hope you get an answer soon!

Watson said...

I so feel your pain over the OPK frustrations!

I also drink a lot of water and once I discovered that first thing in the AM was not the best time to test, I either didn't drink enough during the day and got completely dehydrated or drank too much, tried to hold it for a couple of hours and then had to make a MAD dash to the bathroom at work, OPK tucked into a pocket or the waitband of my pants...

Ahhh...good times!

I hope your system works better and you get those 2 lines soon!

xoxo

LJ said...

OPK sticks are just annoying as all get out. Just gotta keep POAS, and you'll eventually get something...

The good thing is that if it is stark white now, just getting any color gives you an idea to try a few times to cover your bases...

Anonymous said...

I'm a late bloomer, so every cycle is an exercise in frustration until CD17 or so. I hope those double lines pop soon!

JW said...

Aaargh, I hate those damn OPK's. They don't work for me at all. Are you charting? Hope that eggie drops soon for you! x

megan said...

oh yes, the opks tucked in the waistband at work. that's what i did too. i'm typically overhydrated as well. . . i just tried to hold it for as long as i could then race to the bathroom and try to get the d*mn thing open in time. good luck. i hope you are seeing double blue soon!

Space Mom said...

I found 2pm a good time, I would limit my drinks in the morning and then go nuts after the test.

It was frustrating. I find CM is a really good indication of ovulation, so keep tracking that!

One View said...

I could never figure out those OPK sticks either and gave up. My friend who finished having children gave me her Clear Blue Fertility monitor that has its own sticks and it was much easier for me. When you are about to ovulate the machine shows an egg sign and it was much eaasier for me to read. Hope you get 2 lines soon. Hang in there.

Ann said...

OPKs. I hate 'em. For me, OPK=false hope, because the damn things show a positive every single day in the middle of my cycle. I hope you get better luck with these "creme de la creme" OPKs.