Thanks to the Mama Wannabe, I have been tagged to post an "I AM" poem. After deliberating over my scribbled notes for days, and deciding that this poem truly does NOT have to be perfect or even my best work, I am finally posting my creation. And, as always, I will wait with baited breath for your comments. (And BIG thanks to Becks for teaching me how to include a link!)
I am
- at essence -
a painter of
thoughts, words, feelings,
and genuine intentions.
I am
intelligent and strong-willed,
stubborn yet considerate.
I am
a student of self-love,
a trainee in the art of self-acceptance.
I am
a scholar of ambivalence
and emotional intensity.
I am
a seeker of balance
but drawn to extremes.
I am
"different"
yet just like you.
I am
an avoider of conflict
yet a defier of dualisms of sexuality.
I am
one who expects not to be loved
but who loves deeply.
I am
your best friend
but my own worst enemy.
I am
alone and afraid
yet embraced by love.
I am
in search of peace in a tumultuous mind and an angry world.
********************************************************************
I also wanted to share something that I realized since my last post, thanks primarily in part to all of your great comments. (Is it ok to gush again about fabulous all of you are? And how you have turned a blog of ramblings into a therapeutic exercise for me?)
The reason I am so nervous about taking clo.mid is because I am convinced that it simply will not work. It's one thing to try naturally and have the cycle be a bust, it is an entirely different scenario to try something that greatly increases our chances and for it to fail.
Basically, I am afraid to try something that gets my hopes up, only to bring me crashing down, left feeling even more hopeless about our chances.
Probably in part because I read all of your wonderful and amazing blogs nearly everyday, and virtually none of you have become mothers through clo.mid, I don't believe that clo.mid really makes anyone pregnant. Well, maybe not a *significant* number of women. Maybe it works on women who would have gotten pregnant anyway but sought help out of impatience (could this be me at this point? I guess the jury is still out.) But not truly infertile women (I most likely fall into this camp.)
The other reason I am not optimistic is because I did not inherit an optimistic gene. My parents are hopeless pessimists and I adopted their mindset from a very early age. Though I have fought against this way of looking at the world, especially in the last few years, my hard work has paid off in regard to other people's fates but not in regard to my own.
Sometimes, I can convince myself on an intellectual level that things will go my way. Though it rarely makes it to an instinctive level, it still helps to calm my nerves. But the data available on clo.mid's success rates for women with luteal phase defects, at least via Dr. Google, are not entirely convincing. The chances are much improved from those in a natural cycle, of course, but I want to see 80-90% success rates.
Who am I kidding? I want a 100% guarantee, with a refund for time, money, and shattered dreams.
Clearly I am playing the wrong game since fertility odds are never that high.
(Have I mentioned that I absolutely hate gambling and stopped playing the slots in Vegas a couple of years ago after I lost $35? When I realized that I could have bought a nice shirt with that money, I stopped. I would rather use money to obtain something tangible.)
As we are all so painfully aware, there's simply no guarantee with any and all fertility treatments. But, being someone who gravitates to extremes, I think I have convinced myself that no certainty=no success.
So, as absolutely pitiful this request may be, I am asking you to share any and all information you have that will help me to believe that women actually can - and do - become mothers through the use of Clo.mid. From the anecdotal to the scientific, I will take it all.
I guess I am asking for a little hope tutoring.
Any takers?
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Friday, May 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

20 comments:
i love the poem.
lots of women get preggy on clomid. they do. they do.
i would also use preseed or take mucinex...clomid can make for a hostile va-ja-ja. although, i think my hostile va-ja-ja has nothing to do with clomid.
good luck and you never know...you might be knocked up with twins next month. literally THOUSANDS of women get preggy with clomid every month.
I think you know this, but I am newly pregnant on my first round of Clomid. So yes, it can and does happen! I shared your fears exactly. I never thought it would actually make me ovulate (my main problem) never mind get pregnant. But, somehow, it did.
Well, you know that I didn't get pregnant on clomid. But it DOES happen. Really.
And it often helps me to look at it this way:
IF the 'worst case scenario' happens... and you DON'T get pregnant with clomid?
It isn't much different than what's happening now, really. Clomid is just 4 tablets you take on a certain day of your cycle. The rest of the time - it's all your body. You almost even forget you took it in the first place.
So even if you can't embrace the bright side of hope; then maybe you can embrace the fact that there isn't much of a downside, you know?
Hugs. For me, the first couple of cycles were the worst- it was a tightrope of hope and fear and hope and fear. I know where you are right now.
And we're all here for you if you need us. No matter what.
Okay- I'll be honest, I did NOT get pregnant on cl0mid. I know three people who did, including a woman who has a 4 year old and is pregnant with twins. All three are clomid babies.
LIW- There are no guarentees in LIFE.
To be honest, cl0mid may not help since it looks like you have something in your LP, but hey, take some cl0mid, add some progesterone, you might just do it yet!
i too am (very) newly pregnant as a result of Clom!d. not only cl0mid, but my 6th round of it. i had all but given up hope on the medication working. cl0mid made me ovulate every single time, and brought my cycles down from 40++ days to 30-33 days. cl0mid could be all you need, and to me is a logical, safe first step in treatment. it's also one of the oldest fertility drugs out there, and the standard first line treatment. it's not a 100% guarantee, but then again, what comes with that anymore? :)
I really enjoyed your poem. I haven't taken Clomid (I hear it's not worth much unless there's sperm in the picture) but I knew a woman on a message board who got pregnant on her first Clomid cycle. I'm not sure if she had an LP issue, but she and I suffered together at the hands of the long-cycle dragon. Long story short, she's due in September, and I'm still hoping to be pg by September. But yes, pg by Clomid happens. You never know what might work.
No advice on the clomid, I went straight for the big guns due to faulty sperm and tubes. But I just wanted to say I loved the poem and also DAMN....I was going to tag you for the I AM message, when I post mine.
I got pregnant on Clo.mid. Twice. Neither ended well, but that was not the fault of the Cl.omid, it was my shitty eggs.
I know you know there are no guarantees in life. I'm in the same space with IVF - I don't want to spend $10K+ on a medical procedure that doesn't work. I'll be just as sad (maybe sadder), and a hell of lot poorer. But then I think of the alternative.
Hi, I found your blog through Ann (the Unlucky 20%).
You are the first blogger I've found with a luteal phase defect. That is my diagnosis too. I'd be interested in comparing notes with you :)
ps. I like your I am poem :)
Thanks for writing such a fabulous poem!
I have absolutely no advice on clomid as we're doing IVF solely so I can give you no words of advice or any hope tuturoing regarding Clomid.
However, I totally understand your desire for a 100 percent guarantee.
And the pessimism.
It is hard to really think anything will go your way and go right when nothing so far has. I seem to be waiting everyday for the other shoe to drop with my wonky girly parts.
Pessimism or hope, we are here to listen though. I wish you the best of luck!
I've only researched Clomid success rates for people with ovulatory issues, so I don't know any stats for LP defects, sorry. The increase in conception rates for people with ovulatory issues is very significant.
The way I look at it is that it certainly can't make your chances worse. I know it seems like you could be setting yourself up for disappointment, but no more disappointment than without the meds (at least, I think - we're only just coming up to that issue ourselves), and an increased chance of good news.
Good luck!
"I am
a seeker of balance
but drawn to extremes."
Me too!
My friend "A" now has triplets, and all she took was clomid. Not to mention, she had been trying forever. Long story about her actual medical condition, but she should not have been able to have children. Yet, I've played with the three gorgeous little ones.
Jess over at The Geek Nature Preserve, took Femara and achieved two lines. (Similar to Clomid, only the twinning and triplet rates are lower.)
So, there's two examples of real people I have actualy met that it worked for...just some ovulation induction meds.
I love your poem. You did a great job with it.
Clomid didn't work for me, but we have serious male factor issues and I have messed up tubes. It does work for some people. I think it is a good starting point - it is cheap and it isn't invasive.
As for the help with hope, you clearly have some of it or you wouldn't even be trying. Right?
Loved your poem!!
When I first started TTC, I was with a baby centre support group and there were many girls on the board who got pregnant with Clomid. It didn't work for me BUT it does work for many girls. Hope for the best and Good luck to you!!
One of my buddy group members has b/g twins from her one clomid cycle. It DOES work for lots of women, which is why it's been around for over 30 years now.
And I hear you on the casino! I went once, spent 20 dollars and have no intention of going back. I rationalized the twenty by equating it to the cost of the free drinks and the sheer entertainment of watching my coworkers playing the slot machines.
i have 4 woman that i know personally that have used clomid that resulted in a baby or two 9 months later .... hang on tight - farah
Your poem was fabulous--thanks so much for sharing!
And, a woman I know just gave birth a few weeks ago...she got pregnant her first round of clo*mid. It definitely happens...a lot. Hang in there!
loved the poem... as for clomid I am on the same boat as you. I filled my prescription but I decided not to take this cycle. I took it one but did not work for me and like you I am not too optimistic. However, I decided that I’ll take it next cycle for 3 cycles : clomid + progesterone just to tell myself: At least I tried!!!!!! so… let's do it together??? what cd are you? cd 4 for me and I am starting in June!
I do know lots successful storied with clomid!
Good luck
Deal, we start clomid in JUNE!!!!! we can go crazy together over all the symptoms, OPTs, ovulation and so on...I feel better already!!!! Very nice to meet you
Post a Comment