Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Date with the dreaded dildocam

Let me just admit upfront that I am frustrated that I need to write this post as efficiently as possible since I have work that needs to get done before Mr. LIW and I fly to Colorado tomorrow for a brief visit with his family. I *hate* when life gets in the way of my blogs!

I want to thank everyone for all of their wonderful comments. All of you are helping me to have faith that Clo.mid may actually work for us. And, if it doesn't, that I will be able to pick myself up from the disappointment and find the strength to take the next step. (Special thanks to Serenity for her above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty counseling last night!)

Ok, so on to my date with the dildocam this morning.

No need to go into the gory details as all of you have intimate knowledge of the procedure.

But I would like to interject here as to how funny it was to see the tech need to turn the con.dom over to make sure it was in the right direction before wrapping that promisc.uous little wand. How many times have we struggled to make sure those guys were in the right position when we didn't know that it was a waste of latex, at least in terms of pregnancy concerns?

I will say that the Ultrasound tech (is that her appropriate title?) was incredibly friendly and had me laughing through much of the procedure. She spent a considerable amount of time talking to me about what we were looking for (a cyst on my ovary) and what we were looking at (on the screen.) I am happy to report that no cyst was detected, which means that the cyst that was detected on CD 12 in February was probably from early ovulation.

This is all good news, my friends, and certainly fits with a luteal phase defect diagnosis.

Mr. LIW and I see Dr. Gentle on June 1st. If my CD3 blood tests indicate a normal level of FSH, then we move on to Clo.mid in my next cycle.

***************************************************************
On an entirely separate note, I had a blast with Mary Ellen and Serenity last night. Like Mary Ellen, those two glasses of Riesling hit me a little harder than I had planned, though I should have known that a mixed green salad was going to do little in the way of absorption. It was incredible to kick back and laugh with women who have endured great IF challenges and still have senses of humor. AND are willing to invite a newbie into their exclusive club.

So, a BBISP (Big Boston Infertile Sleepover Party) is being planned for one night in June. Date, location, and time are still to be determined, but please email any one of the three of us if you are interested. I can guarantee that there will be plenty of food, drinks, and great conversation. Cheers!

17 comments:

sharah said...

"Wandmonkey" is also an appropriate term for the u/s tech.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Dr. Grumbles said...

Wanding is always so odd. My usual tech tends to get chatty about movies and TV... exactly what I want to discuss when there is a dildo wiggling around inside me!

One View said...

I think that is great you all live close to each other and can have drinks together. We could all use more real life friends who understand IF.. :) I'm glad you are feeling more positive.

Becks said...

Glad that there was no sign of the cyst.

Your night out last night sounds great and I so wish I didn't live the other side of the Atlantic...I will have to virtually join the big sleep over party.

Ann said...

It's the worst when you have a newbie operating the dildocam. I had a 4th-year medical student last time I went in, and ooh, was it uncomfortable! And bad news about my follicles, too, which adds literal insult to literal injury.

ultimatejourney said...

I'm glad your date went so well all around! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for great CD 3 results so you can get started with Clo.mid!

Carrie said...

Hi, Thanks for your comment. Thought I'd stop by. I'm sorry you're going through so much anguish due to the thought of starting Clo.mid. I didn't get pregnant on it but I didn't have any bad side effects either. It was far better than I'd expected. It's definitely worth trying and.....well, you never know.

Hoping that's all it takes.

megan said...

glad to hear you got some good news and that they cyst is gone!

dmarie said...

Who-hoo for the good news!

Caro said...

Glad the cyst is gone.

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

oh, i hate the wand. although, personally i'd rather them let me insert. otherwise it feels like they are trying to get randy with me.
glad it went ok. glad you've got, if only a bitty bit, some hope.

Mama Bear said...

Yup, newbies on the wanding are always kind of a disaster. I had one trip over the cord while the wand was still in once. Awesome.

And, I'm so jealous that you all live so close! I wish I could figure out a way up to Boston for the big slumber party...I'm not *that* far... :-)

Wishing you the best on the clo*mid cycle! I'm so hoping for you!

TeamWinks said...

I still hold true to the fact that I am totally jealous that you three got to hang out together!

Tina / Anxious Changer said...

Popping over to catch up on your blog (I am trying to say hi to everyone who has been kind enough to post on my blog and catch up with their blogs).

Don't have a name for the u/s tech for you since my doc is the one who always escorting me on the date with the dildocam... Hope Clomid is going to work well for you! Will be stalking (I need to stalk others cycling until I can get my own show on the road here!).

Nicole said...

Nothing like a date with the dildo cam before you go on vacation. Good times.

JW said...

The sleepover sounds so lovely!

So glad the dildocam appt went well! They're always a bag of laughs arent they!!

Tara said...

I remember one time I started laughing while the dildo cam was in place and it just seemed so odd to have this thing sticking out of me while I was laughing and the stupid thing was jiggling all around....

Also - wishing I lived anywhere near Boston so I could attend the BBISP.