This is turning out to be a tough week for many of the wonderful and courageous women who share their IF experiences via their blogs. I thought I would share the poem that I wrote following my premature miscarriage in November 2006, which captures my sadness, my anger at a NP who first told me that I imagined having been pregnant, and my struggles with a distorted body image and an eating disorder. My therapist and a couple of friends thought that it might be cathartic for other women experiencing loss as well so I thought I would post it in the hope that it would do just that.
The Scholar
11/29/06
Loss
Surrounding, engulfing…
How can nonappearing, decomposing, deconstructing, disappearing
overwhelm?
I thought I had you,
my fingers grazed the softness of your smile,
my eyes scanned the fluttering of your growth
I sensed you in my heart, experienced you in my soul
Spied the future in other’s strollers, thought I felt your hand in those mittens in the store.
Gurgles and drool, comfort and frustration, I considered it all
and, with great fear and excitement, embraced the future.
Meanings fly off of these events like daggers, leaving me desperate for a shield of validation.
I am the expert of my own body, its yearnings and aches, its needs and pain. In the long saga of maturity,
only I have tended to its needs, experienced and studied its endless struggles.
Yet I have been here before, in the land of “your instincts were wrong,” “you misunderstood,” “you misread”
How dare I be criticized/corrected/”informed”/belittled.
When you really know me, when you can live me, then I will remove my armor.
I am the only one who resides here, the only genuine witness to it all:
the tightrope strung above shaky ground, the haunting of the shattered mirror,
the furrowed brow of confusion and exhaustion.
Only I have tripped over my imperfections and the unwavering struggle to erase them.
Others have watched, some even felt my tears brush their shoulders,
But not one of them replaced me, no one pushed me out of the path of the flying splintered wood and glass.
Alone is how it all shakes down, in ways of safety and disrepair.
Will I know you – or is it better for us both if I never find you?
Whisperings of doubts and condemnation, maybe it is all “too much”
I stand in circles, overcome with examinations and analyses.
Tests can be traumatic for the scholar, no matter what shape or form or color.
The will to control the outcome is only so strong
the expectation of failure, to be surprised by suggestions of success, only to result in disappointment,
is difficult to withstand.
Visible reminders of uncertainty and mystery are everywhere, unwelcome.
I am finished, fed up with courses, instructions, and lectures.
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

5 comments:
that's beautiful, thanks for posting it. Caro.
That is amazing. It is as if you went inside my head and wrote down everything that I have been thinking and feeling lately - minus all the swear words....
Thanks very much for posting that.
Came across your blog and just had to comment on your poem. It's beautiful, heartfelt and honest.
Thanks! It means so much to know both that it touched other people AND that I am not alone in my feelings!
I call it winning the negative lottery.
Your poem expresses the feelings and thoughts surrounding a loss so well, and puts them in the all-too-familiar context of trying to graft a meaning onto the loss.
And I can't believe that a NP told you that you imagined being pregnant. That is just too bizarre for words and, I imagine, compounded your grief even more. I sincerely hope that you can avoid seeing her/him in the future.
Post a Comment