Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Friday, March 23, 2007

10 + 14 equals 28????

I am a highly-educated, relatively intelligent woman. I can add, subtract, and divide, though math has always been my weakest subject. Those of the physical-science persuasion would agree that a "political scientist" is not really a scientist in a pure scientific sense. I am a social scientist, or should I say rather, a person educated in the understanding and interpretation of human behavior, particularly in regards to the use and abuse of power. But having said that - and pointed out that I am a researcher by instinct, so I read everything and anything on topics that I feel the need to understand in order to move forward in my life - I need to ask why (how?) am I a friggin idiot???

Like many (all?) of you in the IF blog world, I have read, read, and read some more about the illustrious and allegedly simple CYCLE. I have read about the typical cycle's cycles: the stages, the signs, the symptoms. The bleeding part is somewhat simple - AF has been pretty straightforward, and somewhat regular, in her demeanor since her first visit when I was the tender age of 11. But this O shit is frustrating. I know the rules: 14 days into a 28-day cycle will (should) produce an egg ready to be fertilized. My PCP confidently told me, after I asked why the OPKs were indicating that I was ovulating on various dates despite the fact that my cycle was relatively regular, that there is no doubt that ovulation happens 14 days PRIOR to the onset of your period, no matter what the length of the cycle. This left me fully and utterly confused. So I decided simply that my Dr. PCP was right and the tests were wrong.

But I am still confused. A couple of months ago, I had an appointment with the dildocam to find out if there were cysts or other malformations causing the cramps that I experience 3 out of the 4 weeks of every cycle. The doctor pointed to some odd blurry tiny spot on the monitor and asked me what CD it was. I told him 11, which caused him some surprise. He was confident that I had already ovulated that month. Yes, as of DAY 11! Afterwards, I checked the calendar again to make sure that I had counted correctly. Yes, each and every count - a total of 3 - told me that that day was, in fact, Day 11. I realized that I had noticed some EWCM over the past couple of days but thought it was a fluke - perhaps the result of babydancing a night or so before that. I gave my husband a call instructing him as sweetly and seductively as possible to deny his coworkers his undivided attention in order to save some energy for that night. My cycle ended as predicted - a BFN - and it did not come early. I thought maybe that month was an anomaly.

But I am starting to realize that ovulation varies every month! My avid blog readers (that makes 1 or 2? heeheee) know that last Friday was a day of disappointment and, ultimately, CD 1. So, we can all agree that today is CD 8. So, why oh why, did a visit to the bathroom just bring about a decent amount of EWCM??? I see this every month, usually only when there is some ahem effort involved in the expulsion process, and not usually as early as CD 8. But sometimes that early. What is so strange is that it often continues for a full four or five days. Last month it lasted approximately that long, stopped, and then continued for one more day a few days later. Seriously, what the F$&K do I make of this? I have decided to try to romance my husband every day/every-other day over the mid two weeks of my cycle....but who am I kidding? Neither of us will have the energy for that. I am anything but a porn star!

To make matters worse, my cycle length is becoming increasingly varied. This month it was 29 days, other months 26. It was even 25 days one month. And I can't draw a direct correlation between the presence of EWCM and cycle length. Not to mention, what day can I consider THE DAY when the EWCM hangs around for so long? Ridiculous! At least believing that my eggs are fickle and unpredictable helps me to understand (and least in my mind) why our TTC has been unsuccessful - and it gives me something to tell the RE when we move on to that stage (stay tuned, it should be in the next month or so, as soon as I can get an appointment.)

I am left with three perplexing thoughts:
1. How do I best time BD when I could ovulate any time over a 5 or 7 day timeframe (taking into account our energy limitations)?

2. Can I really be confident that the (elongated) presence of EWCM indicates that I am successfully ovulating every month? Maybe it indicates that my body is struggling to get this process right....not good news!

3. How did I get to the point in my life where I am talking about EWCM on the wide - and wild - world of the Internet? And, even better, how can I expect people to read this and care!!

Well, I have to focus now on trying to drum up some intense and intoxicating sexual energy, with which to entice my husband and try to get those little sperm posed to meet the egg that may or may not be releasing in the next 5 to 7 days....

8 comments:

Dr. Grumbles said...

It is actually not true that AD always comes 14 days after O. Luteal phases can vary. Without meds, mine were 11-13.

With 26 day cycles behind you, I wonder if you often O before CD 14.

As for EWCM, before meds, I would have it all over the calendar, and often nowhere near my actual ovulation.

Yes, most women have a 14 day luteal phase and only have EWCM with O, but women vary.

Do use OPKs or a fertility monitor? If not, I would recommend either so you can get a handle on your apparently non-textbook cycle.

Oh, the lies about women's cycles! Women are not all cookie cutter cyclers!

Sorry you are having to deal with the confusion!

Serenity said...

I agree with saras-p. On all fronts.

About the best way to get data which tells you WHEN you O in relation to your EWCM is to either temp and chart, or use a fertility monitor and/or OPKs.

OPKs will tell you when you're ABOUT to ovulate (tho not all women have luck with them - me personally... I've never gotten a positive on one of them).

Temping will tell you AFTER you've ovulated.

But a couple of months of doing both of these and you should give you the data to tell you when you O in relation to when you begin having EWCM.

Me personally - I have about 3-5 days of EWCM before I actually ovulate. It's my best indicator that I am, in fact, Oing regularly.

None of this is easy, no?

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Thanks for the help! For some reason, I never considered the fact that I might ovulate at times separate from (or after!) the presence of EWCM. I assumed (yes, ass and all) that I could/would only ovulate within a day or so of the presence of EWCM. Now I know that I should just hunker down and start tracking my temp. I have resisted because the mornings when I first wake up are special to me. I have been considering purchasing one of those expensive fertility monitors. The OPKs gave me so many barely positives, sometimes at different times in the same months!

Glad to know that others have been frustrated by this as well. And that I am not crazy (or dumb!) to think that we have been lied to about our cycle possibilities!

Sami said...

As others have mentioned luteal phases can vary. I have a luteal phase defect and while I ovulated on time my period would show up 10 days after ovulationi like clockwork. Hence progesterone supplementation for me. Now... my advice is to get a fertility monitor... makes life so much easier. Get rid of that checking for CM, etc. I like OPK's, but the monitor is better able to track you rather than you guessing when to test. Take it for what it's worth...

Sami said...

Oh yes and spend the money on the monitor - seriously the temping thing is irritating and you don't realize until "AFTER" you ovulate that you did kind of thing. Much simpler to have a machine figure it out for you.

Lut C. said...

14 day luteal phase is the average among women. It differs from woman to woman.
However, I do believe that once you figure out how long your luteal phase is on average, it won't vary that much from cycle to cycle, no more than a few days.

crazylady said...

Just reading your blog, brings back a tidal wave of emotion, some of which I have gotten past, some of which will stay in denial, and the rest satisfactorily occupied with my adopted twins. There is just no easy way to get through TTC'ing as you say, but to take one long agonizing day at a time. I never thought to use blogs as catharsis, several years ago when I was in your shoes, and it might have helped. Has it helped you? Thanks for wishing my poochie Reno well, and it seemed to have done the trick. Thanks for reading.
Senja

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Hey, thanks for the tips. Now that I know that fertility monitors are worth the money, I will invest in one. I hesitated due to the price tag but I am honestly just not interested in taking my temperature every morning, as lame as that it. I had such an unsatisfying experience with the OPKs so, if I have to spend money on something, I think I prefer the monitors. I will look into them and see if I can find one on sale!

Seriously, I don't know what I would do right now if I didn't have the IF blog world! :-)