I am dry and empty. But how could only a day or so of hope leave me here? I feel alone and without direction. It's all crazy, given how much the other IF bloggers have been through....
Yesterday, I was crawling out of my skin, just itchy with restlessness, frustration, anger. Since I have been trying different types of yoga at a studio in my neighborhood in a desperate effort to find something that calms my mind, I practically ran to a Hatha class in the late afternoon. When I walked to the back of the room to pick up props, I nearly cried when I realized the woman sitting on a mat next to the pile of blankets was very pregnant. I wanted to cry, I wanted to run, I wanted to ask her to leave. I am not as crazy as I may seem so I did none of those things, though I did successfully avoid eye contact with her. But I had to fight the urge to stare. I held my breath when she walked by me at the end of the class. As I felt guilty, overly-dramatic, hyper-sensitive, I calmed myself with the thought that you, IF bloggers and readers, would understand. I am not a bad person; I am not a selfish person. I am a loving and giving person who is terribly hurt and frustrated.....
I had hoped on Friday that I could share the following mindful ruminations with you in ways that allow me to draw a full contrast between the two experiences, but I thought I would share it nonetheless...
When I was in college, my very responsible boyfriend and I had an accident with birth control and I was sick with worry. I had lofty career goals and aspirations at the time. I was an undergraduate but I believed that graduate school was a necessity in order to make change in this world. Looking back I was SO naive! Anyway, when my period did not arrive on time (to our horror!) we sought out a pregnancy test from (what we thought) was a reputable source. I was too afraid to do the test myself, knowing that I wouldn't believe a negative result. We found an ad in our college newspaper for a free and confidential pregnancy test. I made an appointment, my voice shaking, over the phone one day and we went in the next. When we drove up, we hoped that we had written down the wrong address. We decided that we had not and conferred as to whether or not to go into a large white church that allegedly included a clinic of sorts. We decided we might as well get the test and, once we obtained the result, to leave as quickly as possible. We soon learned after our warm welcome into the building that the operation was geared at convincing women not to seek abortions if they were pregnant - and to opt for "reclaimed virginity" if they were. We were led from one office to another, past a parade of children in daycare who were urged to say hello to us. My boyfriend, G, and I glanced at each other in terror as we began to figure out what we had gotten ourselves into. G saw further evidence of this anti-abortion crusade while I was in the ladies room taking the test with the "counselor." He told me later that there were videos with jackets claiming to show a real abortion procedure, including visual representation of the results.
Before the test results were revealed, and as I sat in the office unaware of the videos, we were asked if we would consider abortion if we were pregnant. Deciding to display the fledgling feminist I was becoming (and the angry ex-catholic status that I was adopting), I nodded my head yes. The counselor remained calm but asked us how, as catholics, we could consider murder and how it would threaten our souls with eternal damnation. I began to cry, which the counselor pointed out was evidence that I knew that abortion was murder. HA! If only she knew how easily I broke into tears and how insanely nervous I was. After making sure that she got her point across, the "counselor" told us, with a twinge of disappointment, that the test was negative. G and I exhaled loudly and the counselor proceeded with a prepared speech on a program that would allow us to reclaim our virginity. We finally left, pretending to be interested in the paperwork that we could sign to commit our sexual lives to god until we got married. We nearly ran out of there....
This experience came back to me on Friday afternoon as I sat in my sister's lab waiting for test results. I marveled at how different my life was then - hell, how different I am now - nearly 16 years later. Last time, I was brought into a comfortable room with chairs and couches, not dissimilar from my current therapist's office, yet I couldn't have been more uncomfortable. The test results were kept from me until the counselor had completed her spiel, the job that she probably believed would open heaven's gates to her. I pleaded with a god that I still believed in that he spare me from having to make what might be the most difficult decision of my life. I was contemplating ending a pregnancy in order to have the time and space to make myself whole before becoming a mother. [Of course, I don't know what choice I would have made had I been presented with an unwanted pregnancy.]
Conversely, my sister placed the plastic tester, in which a tiny sample of my centrifuged blood sat, in front of me on a desk in a sterile white room. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was comfortable but I knew that I was safe - that no matter the outcome, I would be ok. I wished that I had someone or something to plead to for a positive result - at least something less ambiguous than the energy/fate that I believe in currently. I was looking for a positive result, believing that motherhood would complete my life, providing the ultimate challenge and the ultimate reward.
When that test refused to show a red line, I knew that it was over. I knew that I would have to "try again" (my husband's response every month, which he offers with a tinge of sadness in his voice) - that next month and the month after and the month after that might bring the same disappointment. And I felt convinced that that would, in fact, be the case. That disappointment was in my future. That I was still on this damn roller coaster that leaves me sick from the motion, the assents and declines.....
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

5 comments:
oh honey, I feel for you.
I got an email from one of my best friends in the world today. She is due in 3 weeks and to be honest I've been avoiding her so I didn't realise it had got that close. She sent me a bump picture too where she looks wonderful. I'm currently trying to compose a reply while crying my eyes out.
There's just no way to get around the pain of watching people you love do what you can't seem to do yourself. The guilt at not being able to feel fully happy for those people only makes it worse. I am glad that the two couples in my husband's college friend circle who are due in July do not live close by. It would honestly be hard to spend time with them at this point!
Hi LIW! Nice to "meet" you! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I've just caught up on your archives and you write very well. I'll be adding you to my blogroll so I can check up on you. I'm so sorry for your loss in November, I know it must have been heartbreaking, but I really hope you don't need treatments etc and that you get your little baby very soon.
Oh, the amount of times I've felt like a bitter, evil infertile for having negative thoughts about pregnant women or women with children...
When I was pregnant I blogged about an experience I had with a woman who may have been one of "us". I was about 6 or 7 months along, and when I was out shopping a woman glanced at my stomach, and her eyes wandered up to meet mine. I may be completely making it up, but I saw a sadness and envy there that I don't like to think about. I wished there was a way to let her know that my pregnancy was courtesy of IVF, and it was so odd for me to be on the other side for once.
The purpose of that story isn't to say that you should consider that a pregnant woman could be a veteran of infertility, because that's just lame assvice. Prior to actually giving birth I never would have thought that even though I had the experience above. Infertility strikes too deep for rationality to be an issue.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I was going to email you in response but I couldn't find your email address on your blog page. I can't believe the stingyness (stinginess?) expressed by your friends and mine. Sad.
What a horrible experience you had at that church. What they did with that ad and the day care and the whole mess was twisted and manipulative. Hardly what I call Christian! I'm glad you didn't have to face the unwanted pregnancy when it was "all the wrong timing." You gotta find the silver linings, right?
Post a Comment