Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Everything I needed to know I learned from my 9 year-old niece

"Sometimes the truth hurts." This is my niece's (we'll call her K) new saying these days. She is someone who has consistently inspired me throughout her life given her strong and free spirit and critical mind. So it came as no surprise to me that she summed up my situation last night without even knowing about it.

The two blood tests were negative - and were followed hours later by the arrival of AF. I was - and am - very sad. I let myself hope, let myself dream, about a new baby staring at the lights on the Christmas tree. I couldn't cry at the time because, well, I was in a lab with a couple of my sister's staff members. But, as books so often do in my life, I was provided with insight and comfort. I turned to the memoir that I am reading when waiting for the results. And I read an incredibly poignant passage:

The truth is that every single moment of every single life is uncertain. We go to great
lengths to deny this, so much do we crave the illusion of security. ... True power lies in
accepting the fact that everything is uncertain in every moment; it is the truth, and it is
where our freedom lies. A small shift in thinking, a slight willingness to admit the
possibility, and one can see that if everything is uncertain, then anything is possible.
(Forever Lilly, by Beth Nonte Russell)

The other comfort to me was the knowledge that I now have a community of women that I can turn to for support, advice, ways to laugh at the anguish that is TTC. The world of IF blogs is changing my life. (See, I warned you in my intro that I would sometimes fall into the realm of sappy!) Thanks to all of you!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear about AF's arrival!! I was really rooting for you and hoped the blood test would show a positive. Treat yourself to something nice this weekend.

Hugs,
D

AwkwardMoments said...

that book passage is amazingly all too familiar for me. Here's to waiting for next month ;) Farah

Caro said...

Sorry to hear that.
Virtual chocolate on its way.

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Thanks for all of your support - I know that you know how sad and frustrating this is. It really means so much to know that you understand!!!

Serenity said...

Oh, no. I am so sorry to hear about the BFN. :(

Thank you for stopping by my blog (a few times now) - if it's ok, I'd like to add you to my blogroll.

*hug*

Hang in there.

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Thanks, Serenity!! I have been following your blog for a few weeks now and I find it to be incredibly comforting and validating. I would be honored if you added me to your blog roll!

LJ said...

What a great post. I used to post a lot more on a TTC board, but I've found the IF blogs revolutionizing how I go through this process. Thanks for sharing yourself here, and for the comments on my blog. I really appreciate it.