Is managing the anxiety.
The new job is great, it really is. I like the people that I work with, I like the fact that the company appears to value its employees and truly seeks to help them to grow instead of eating them up and spitting them out (the latter is the norm at agencies.) Nearly all of the accounts I work on are interesting and I am constantly - and I mean CONSTANTLY - learning. My days fly by because I am almost always incredibly busy.
The hard part is that I am not, by training, a PR professional. My direct PR experience equates to a crash course. At my level (I am technically at the bottom rung of the management scale and only a level or so away from VP, which means I manage employees from 4 lower levels), PR should come naturally to me. Be instinctual. It's not.
The strategy components are, to a certain degree. At least in terms of thinking about how to influence people through discourse. When the topic involves corporate responsibility and/or policy (even remotely), my instincts are quite valuable. When it comes to knowing what should and should not be included in a press release, well, not so much.
Which is scary. Because central to my responsibilities is cleaning/polishing the writing done by junior-level staff. I am not insecure about my writing abilities - writing is, and has always been, one of my strengths. My blog style does not reflect it since it is conversational, but I am actually a kick-ass writer. That I know. But, at the same time, I have not spent my career writing press releases and white papers. Therein lies the challenge.
Susan, my trusy therapist, reminds me that, based on my resume, it is clear that I possess approximately one year of direct PR training. In fact, my training amounts to less than that. But even if my employer's and peer's expectations are a bit inflated based on my own clever PR regarding my qualifications, noone must expect that PR skills are innate for me.
You know me, though. I aim to excel. And I really like this company and can imagine staying here for at least a few years until my dream government opportunity comes along (policy advisor to a powerful chief executive at the municipal/state level.) So I want people to be happy with having selected me. I don't want to fall short of expectations. In fact, I want to exceed expectations - theirs as well as my own.
Part of the challenge comes from the fact that I will be covering for a peer when she leaves on maternity leave any day now. Her due date is June 17th and I keep secretly hoping that she doesn't go early. Because I have been working my ass off to come up to speed on two of her accounts - three accounts that possess demanding clients and busy schedules. Luckily, two of the other accounts I am on are new to the company. For the sixth one, I am "shadowing" the current manager until she fully leaves the company in August. That one is the least exciting but, luckily, is not fast-moving, which should help me to ease into it.
The point of the story is that I am, once again, struggling with the fear that I am not good enough - and in a place that I truly want to belong.
Mondays are the hardest.
I ordered a book with tips on pitching that received great reviews. And I plan on reading/researching press release tips. I am very skilled in the art of self-training so my fingers are crossed that I can pull it off yet again.
*Sigh*
As for LL, his movements still do not fit a clear pattern. Some days he is more active than others. Some days he is active from late morning to afternoon and then again in the evening. Some days he is relatively subdued. I keep reminding myself that I read that I can not expect regular activity until 28 weeks, which helps me not to panic. Luckily, I feel at least 10 movements everyday. And I think I have figured out his favorite position. I seem to feel most of the kicks on my upper right side. In his ultrasounds, he was usually lying face up with his head on my left and his legs on my right. I am getting the sense that that is his favorite position. That's so cool that I can't get over it!! I often have images of him lying on his back with his hands behind his head just hanging out. It's so cute that I can't stand it!!!
Mr. LIW *finally* got to feel a few of his kicks the other night. It was really awesome. Now every night Mr. LIW puts his hand on my belly hoping to feel something. Which makes me nervous for some reason. I try not to expect his movements so that I don't worry when they don't happen. Mr. LIW's expectations interfere with that approach.
Tomorrow is my regular appointment. Is it possible that I hit the 6th month mark on Thursday? Every day brings LL closer to viability. I think about that more than I would like to admit.......
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

5 comments:
Me too. I'm literally counting down the days. 7 more (including today, which I guess doesn't REALLY count, does it?)
I am positive that you will do what you need to do at work. They wouldn't have hired you if they thought otherwise...and you are industrious enough that you will figure out what you need to know.
I've been thrown into a position that I was clearly underqualified for, but the person who hired me saw something that made him believe that I could do it anyway. And I did. The same way you will...with determination and a willingness to teach yourself what you need to know.
they would not have hired you if they didn't *know* you culd do it. especailly not in this economy.
remind yourself of the obvious all day-you deserve this job. ; )
I have faith that you'll be able to do the job. Unless you outright lied on your interview or resume, your employers knew what your background was, and sometimes seeing great potential beats out experience, so try not to underestimate your skills and abilities - to both do and learn!
Maybe it least it will make the days fly by faster!
I will echo what others have said. I don't think they would have hired you if they didn't think you were capable of doing the job. And, sometimes the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet (which you obviously have done)!
I am right with you on the baby front. I am about a week behind you and I keep trying get my hubby's hand to my tummy fast enough to feel a kick. He still hasn't felt the baby yet, but I am looking forward to the day he does.
Good luck with your job!
I'm so glad the new job is going well and keeping you busy. I think it's perfectly natural to have doubts about ability - especially with a new position. I hope the next few months give you the added confidence of just being "on the job" for a while. I'm sure you're doing great!
Yay - your DH is feeling LL! So fun! I am about 27+ weeks and can't pattern movements yet, either. I'm just happy when I feel anything at all! :-) Good luck at your appt tomorrow!!!
Post a Comment