Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"Well Yes, Virgina, Life CAN get more complicated!"

(Ok, so the title is not a great restatement of the famous reassurance to Virgina that there is, in fact, a big man in a red suit who brings gifts to good little boys and girls on December 25th.)

The pee stick at Dr. Gentle's office came back negative.

He told me to do a HPT on Friday if AF still doesn't arrive. Just because ovulation began as of CD11 does not mean that it happened on that day or even on CD12. It could have happened a couple of days later, which means a pregnancy might be too early to show up on a pee stick.

If AF doesn't come by Monday, I am to get a beta.

But I am not holding out any hope. That story would be too sweet. Those things never happen to me.

To add to the joy, the lab finally (after 3 requests) checked the morphology on Mr. LIW's sperm. They used the frozen sample that he deposited in April.

Dr. Gentle was *shocked* to discover below normal results - only 2% was good. Since normal ranges from 4-14%, these results are troubling.

He has instructed Mr. LIW to give another sample. Since Mr. LIW's count was so good (75 million) he thinks that the fact that the sample was frozen might have slightly lowered the range so that it fell below normal.

For those of you who know me well, I am *not* feeling good about this. It is a good thing that Mr. LIW and I kept reminding Dr. Gentle to get those results.

My feeling is, even if Mr. LIW's typical morphology is 4%, though it is normal, it is not great. It might be partially responsible for our difficulty.

Compounded IF makes pregnancy even harder to achieve, as you all know.

If the next sample reveals under 4%, Dr. Gentle recommends that we skip all other treatments and move straight to IVF. And I assume that we will use ICSI.

This is disconcerting to say the least. Though part of me wanted to move to the treatment that offered us our best chance, I was fully hoping that an IUI would work.

So, again, this is not good news (does anyone catch the understated sadness and frustration here?)

Once Af starts, I need to call Dr. Gentle to arrange an HSG, which we will need even if we move directly to IVF. We plan to monitor my ovulation with u/s and use a trigger shot. Since an HSG marginally increases our chances of conceiving, we are going to use this cycle to its full advantage.

I decided not to put the HSG off for a month. If we are going to move on to IVF, the sooner we do this the better, I think.

But I am sad. Really, really, body-shaking sobs sad.

To make matter even worse, I peeked at the scale this afternoon. And my sense that I have gained weight recently was validated. That month of sitting on my ass - and having to cancel my gym membership back in March - explain everything.

The next challenge for me is to try to get more active again without falling back into my ED-obsessive-behavior-workout-patterns.

The only good news is that work is incredibly challenging and fast-paced....but also incredibly fulfilling, for which I am grateful. My boss appreciates my input and treats me like her equal, which is a nice change for me. I am starting to think that I may want to stay on here whether or not the federal job works out. At the very least, I am hoping to get an offer for a permanent job, no matter what I decide to do. A little ego boost never hurt!

Any and all support from you lovely bloggers would be greatly appreciated right now!

18 comments:

Beth said...

I have been following your blog for a while. I'm so sorry about the negative test. Just test again in a few days and try to keep your chin up. I can't believe the Dr. wouldn't run a beta today. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry LIW. I understand how you feel. I really hope that your husbands next SA analysis comes back better- I guess I don't understand why they did the analysis on frozen sperm and not a fresh sample? Well, I hope the next SA provides GREAT values.

megan said...

i'm really hoping that you're just too early. it's time your story turned sweet.
sorry to hear about mr. liw's SA. i'm glad to hear that they're doing another one with a fresh sample though. i'm far from a scientist, but i do put many a thing into the freezer so in the most pedestrian way it makes sense to me to think that even sperm could get misshapen in the deep freeze! i'm not trying to make light of the findings....i'm just glad they're going to repeat it.
glad to hear the job is going well and is fulfilling. i'm sure that over time you will be able to make the right decision about what is best for you -- staying where you are or making a move to the federal job.

Natalie said...

I really hope that negative turns into a positive for you.

I know the heartwrench of getting bad results back on a test, even if you suspected a problem. I'm very surprized your doctor didn't check the morphology earlier. :(

niobe said...

It does seem like you're getting far more than your share of bad news. I'm very much hoping for a happy surprise twist to your story, but I certainly understand that you're not feeling exactly optimistic.

Caro said...

I'm hoping for you too and sorry about the morphology results.

Waiting Amy said...

Oh, I know how when things aren't going well that it feels like everything is going down the crapper. But, the fresh SA certainly may be better, your HSG maybe helpful to improving your chances, and if you wind up at IVF then you can know that you are doing the most you can do to achieve results.

So sorry that this is getting you down and that you still don't have a definitive answer from this cycle. But glad work is going well. Try to focus on the positives as best you can! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way and I know good things are headed there too.

Jen said...

I'm hoping the HSG will help turn things around! You deserve it!

Keeping you in my thoughts! And glad you are enjoying the job!

Tara said...

Hey sweetie... just checking up on you. Sorry that things are getting increasingly difficult and complicated. I am hoping for nothing but the best for you. You so deserve it.

I'm always here if you ever need to chat.

Becks said...

I am sorry you feel so down at the moment. I do hope that the next SA brings you the good results you have had previously.

It is good you are getting some positives from work, I hope they continue.

I will keep my hopes alive for some more positive news next week. Take care.

Dr. Grumbles said...

Arg. So frustrating! I too wonder if the frozen sample gives different results than a fresh sample. I am rooting for you!

Heather said...

Sorry about the negative test. I'm hoping things will change in the next few days. I also don't understand why they didn't do the SA on a fresh sample? I think it would be curious to see the results the fresh way.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry you are feeling so frustrated. It does sound like you're getting bunches of bad news all in a row. I know it's not much comfort, but things will work out eventually, in some way.

But I'm really glad that work is going well. That's a huge bonus!

Anonymous said...

Oh LIW, I am sorry about the morphology results and the negative pee stick. You are right, compounded IF makes it harder. I know all too well. I hope the next test shows higher morphology.

Thinking of you.

Fat Girl said...

I'm really sorry everything seems to be hitting you at once! I will say, from personal experience, that a fresh SA can make a HUGE difference in the results. My husband's morphology and motility drastically increased when we went to an endrology lab and used ad fresh sample. Maybe you can find some hope in that? Also, you aren't officially out this cycle... If you can't hold out hopefor this cycle, I will hold hope for you. You should do something to pamper yourself this week. =)

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

hey! k had a horrible s/a....less than 1% morph. awful. i cried and cried and wallowed. and ate a lot of ice cream. (b/c hey my hubbie's morph was low!!!)
then someone on the internet told me that 1,000 mcg of vitamin c and mega men multi fromGNC makes a difference.
his next s/a was 10% normal. With 20 million. We've gotten pg 4 times. (with endo and a blocked tube for 6months). None of our 3 RE's have said IVF b/c of his morph. And a lot of doctor's think morph is overrated. I mean, even at 4% with 75 million...i don't know the math (we'll ley serentiy do that for us) but i think that's still good. At least per our RE's.
(fyi his count is AMAZING)

Anyway, to be sure, i seriously cried like a baby. But my gut tells me that his morp will end up just fine.

ultimatejourney said...

I'm sorry about the SA results. I hope the results were just skewed by the freezing, but I know that doesn't make them easy to hear.

In an effort to make you feel better, I'll point out that 2% of 75 million is 1.5 million good ones. (A number that, again in an effort to make you feel better, I'd sell my soul to the devil for.) And that's after freezing. You guys deposited many rounds of fresh ones this cycle.

I hope it was just too early for an HPT.

AwkwardMoments said...

"This is disconcerting to say the least. Though part of me wanted to move to the treatment that offered us our best chance, .......So, again, this is not good news (does anyone catch the understated sadness and frustration here?)"

YES YES YES .... I know this feeling fairly recently when announcing my new treatment plan meant abandoning Clomid and moving to injectibles with IUI's ..So I am deeply sorry for your saddness - for it is still raw and fresh for me too!!