Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Monday, August 27, 2007

And the hits keep coming

I learned last week that the federal job fell through. The reason the process had taken this long is because someone with "veteran status" had challenged Mr. Flowers' selection of me for the position. Mr. Flowers really believed that Washington would come down on his side but it didn't. It was either hire the veteran or close the job posting. So he closed the job posting. And he is re-writing the position with the hope that I can again make it through the initial essay screening process and on to the interview stage. Mr. Flowers clearly wants me to get the job and I still find him to be an incredibly kind person. But I am annoyed that he didn't tell me until I called him multiple times and just happened to get him on the phone. He was waiting until he had the new job posting up so that he had some promising news....

Needless to say, this was quite a blow.

I am still entirely unsure of whether or not this contracted position will go from temporary to permanent. Since my month contract expires at the end of this week, a discussion should happen on Thursday or so. I am figuring out how to show interest in a permanent position without sounding as panicky as I feel. I just don't think that I could handle another conversation about a place that cannot keep me on like at the last position. The contact who helped me get this job tells me to simply keep doing what I am doing (read: work my butt off) and try to especially impress my boss on one of our big accounts. I have certainly followed his advice.

Luckily, one of the business proposals I wrote received rave reviews from a potential client - so much so that the attorney who talked to this client was surprised by the client's "effusiveness." Even though the client chose another firm with more experience handling her particular situation, she insisted that she wanted to meet with my boss in the hopes of working together in the future. My boss was clearly pleased with my performance.

I believe that everyone is pleased with my performance, actually. The only problem is whether or not they believe that there is enough business to add a permanent person to their team. And that is out of my control.

And what about our chances of a BFP this cycle? I am honestly trying to write them off. I simply do not think I can afford to handle disappointment in that sphere right now. Once ovulation passed, I haven't been paying much attention to which day it is in my cycle. I think today is CD17 so I still have another 10 days or so to go before I know for sure. And we meet with Dr. Gentle on September 4th.

The only symptom I am experincing is IBS distress. But, since Dr. Gentle told me that the HCG shot stays in my system for 10 days and that the shot causes my body to produce more progesterone, I am quite confident that my symptom is not from success. I have no other symptom - not one. Granted I guess it is early but I am trying to consider this cycle to be just another step towards IVF.

What I do know is that pregnancy is likely to substantially aggravate my IBS given my reaction to the shot. I am using that to feel better about a BFN - that this flare-up will end and I can go back to a more comfortable existence. There is a small shimmer of peace in that.

Would I rather get a BFP? You bet!

Would I rather get a BPF after accepting a permanent position in this place that I really and truly enjoy working?

Hell yah!!

But, in the meantime, just in case any of you thought that I *might* be close to getting my ticket out of purgatory...it is clear that I continue to be a resident (despite my kicking and screaming.)

19 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

Sending lots of hopeful thoughts to you along the job and the bfp lines!

Serenity said...

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that the federal job fell through, I was hoping for good news on that front.

I suppose all you can do is just do what you're doing and hope for the best.

*hug* Hang in there, hon!

Erin said...

Oh, Suckage. I know hiring managers have to be somewhat secretive about the process, but he could have told you a little something to give you an idea of what's going on. I hope either you get offered a perm position where you are or that the new posting fits you even better!

LJ said...

Ugh, this is just a shit day all around. I'm so sorry.

megan said...

crap! i'm so sorry to hear that the federal job has taken a detour. i so hope it is just that -- a detour, and will work its way back to you.

i so hope you get your ticket out of purgatory soon. you so deserve it!

Space Mom said...

Bummer on the job. Hopefully, the reposting will work.

I hope the IBS calms down. Do you have any flare-up foods? You know, what you eat to help calm down a flare up? Maybe a week or so of good calm foods will help?

Anonymous said...

If you figure out how to get out of purgatory, please pass the secret along.

I hope you get the job situation sorted out soon. And a BFP even sooner.

Natalie said...

Oh jeez, I'm so sorry about that federal job. :(

Beth said...

Sorry to hear about the federal job. I had to go through that. I am a federal employee and my job was posted three times before I was hired becuase of the exact same reason as you. Hang in there!!!

Becks said...

Arrrgghh...all that waiting and now another hurdle to get over. I do hope Mr Flowers can sort tthings out for you but I guess the inital excitement has long gone. I do hope something works itself out soon.

And I will hope that a BFP is also on its way as well.

sharah said...

That sucks about the federal job. I hope Mr. F is able to come through for you with something that works out.

One View said...

So sorry to hear about the job. Hang in there and hoping for good news for you.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Sorry that the federal job didn't work out. How frustrating. You have been waiting for so long for that. Hang in there hon.

Mama Bear said...

I'm sorry about the job. I hope that that something works out soon, and even more importantly, that you get a much deserved BFP very soon.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry. That just totally sucks. I'm hopeful for you that your current job turns into something more. It's sounding good so far.

Heather said...

Sorry to hear that there's no promising news on either front. Hang in there.

Dr. Grumbles said...

Sorry about the job.

LifeHopes said...

I just read some of your blog posts and you are a great writer.

I can totally relate to so much of what you are saying. I think Purgatory is a fantastic and most perfect description of this time of waiting.

I truly hope that you get a BFP soon and an awesome job to go with it!!!!

Tara said...

Sorry to hear about this disapointment.

Hope you're doing ok.

I think of you often.