Ok, I lied. The grief - it's not so good.
Actually, it sucks.
And I am sitting here, turning to one of the only vehicles that has helped me through the rollercoaster of IF, in the desperate hope that it will help me work through these feelings.
I may never give birth to a child created from Mr. LIW and I.
In the early days of purgatory, when I worried that adoption would be our only hope at being parents, I could talk myself through it: there's so many treatment options available to us, perhaps our problem is minor and will be solved quickly, etc. etc.
I have been worried from the beginning (given my incredibly active - fatalistic? - mind) that we would proceed as though our problem was minor, only to find out years later that there's something wrong with our respective eggs and/or sperm.
I am desperately trying to find comfort in the fact that Dr. Gentle is aggressive with treatment options and, though it took a long time to test Mr. LIW's sperm for morphology (his other numbers were good and we were told that the chance of the morphology being low was slight), we now know what we are dealing with. (At least we think we know everything at this point.)
When we first learned that only 2% of a sample of 75 million was normally shaped, we were shocked. Both of us believed that the next test would provide nearly normal results, which would mean that we would have to go through three IUIs before our insurance would approve ivf.
We were literally astounded - floored - by the zero result. According to research that Mr. LIW conducted, viruses can affect this factor, especially in men with varicocele, which is what he has. Since he is fighting a bad cold, we do believe that, though his morphology is probably consistently below normal, zero percent simply cannot be his normal level.
We meet Dr. Gentle again on the 14th. I sense that he agrees with the above assessment since we were told by his nurse to continue with the Clomid/IUI cycle that we are doing despite the results.
I understand that IUIs help to increase the chances of conception since they significantly reduce the distance that the sperm have to travel. But does spinning the sperm provide any advantages to the few that might have normal morphology??
I hate math but 2% of 75 million is still a decent amount of sperm, right? So, if Mr. LIW's samples over the two IUI injections are in that ballpark then we still have a chance.
Of course, if both samples yeild zero percent, then we waste our time and money (in terms of meds and copays and the 10% that our insurance makes us pay for these procedures.)
I am likely to produce three eggs this month since I am back up to the 100mg of the Big C. Maybe one of those normal little sperm will successfully penetrate one of those eggs.
Or, maybe not.
I have been grieving the loss of my fertility for months now. The process has been intensified now that I have Mr. LIW's fertility to grieve as well.
My hope is that my IF is easily corrected and that the miracle of science can solve Mr. LIW's problem (at least in terms of successful fertilization.)
It is possible, right?
RIGHT?
Over dinner and too many cosmopolitans last night, I checked in with Mr. LIW to make sure that he is still committed to adoption, if necessary. We had agreed very early on in our relationship that we would take this route if all else failed.
I literally exhaled when he replied that he is, in fact, still planning to adopt if we cannot have biological child/children.
I am trying to restrain my mind from thinking of how long and grueling that process - after a number of failed ivf attempts - will be. I need to take one step at a time.
All this is happening while I grapple with the news that my consulting hours may be cut back due to the firm's lack of billable clients and prepare to answer the application questions in order to reapply for the federal job.
But I am tripping over my tears, my grief, the pain of it all.
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

21 comments:
I'm so sorry you got this bad news, and all the difficulty that goes with it - you look into the future and see grueling long months of hard work to get the child you long for so much. It just isn't fair, and I'm sorry this is happening to you.
Yes, this stuff is very difficult. You are strong. You and Mr. LIW are in it together, and the two of you will get through it together. Whatever the results, you will find a way to be parents.
T and I are currently considering embryo adoption if our current strategy doesn't work. I know our RE's office has an embryo donation program. That is another option to think about while you are trying and hoping and praying that the current treatments work.
I'm so sorry. Good luck.
For us, it was a grieving process with each step because each step has left us with more doubt that a biological child will ever be possible. When we got the news that Mr. W had a really low sperm count, I grieved for months. I had a really hard time dealing with it because it meant that on top of my problems, we had to overcome his as well.
Would it be worth it to do surgery on the varicocele? I know that it doesn't fix things overnight, it can take about 6 months. But it can help morphology.
If you go to www.urologychannel.com, there is info on varicoceles along with supplements and dietary info that can help.
I know the struggle of the grieving process. It sucks. We will be parents somehow. Then it will have all been worth it.
This is such a long journey we are all on. Whereas in most places of life, it is never as bad as we fear, here it is usually worse. Grief is real, and we all go through it. I thank the stars above every day that we all have one another. It will get better, it has to.
IF introduces numerous greiving processes alond the way through every cycle. You and Mr LIW are a great team from what it sounds like. I hope there is alot of comfort in that
I am just so sorry LIW. I told my DH and he is very sad for you guys as well. Your doctor sounds very good, and I really hope they're able to make IVF work for you. If they do ICSI they only need a couple of good sperm, which it sounds like he is capable of. There are still options.
Take your time to grieve. The IUIs will give you some information...
But don't feel you always have to be upbeat and positive. It's okay to be pissed off and down right depressed about all of this too.
thinking of you
I'm sorry to hear this.
The process of IF treatments often leaves us with so many losses of various kinds to grieve. I'm sorry you're facing this possibility.
Wow... this is all so much for you to deal with. I can relate to this post tremendously and can imagine what you must be going through.
I hope you are doing ok.
(((hugs)))
that's a tough pill. goodness so much of this is UNFAIR!
my dh had low morph, like 2%, and 40 mil. he took 1000 mcg of Vitamin C and Mega MEn which got him up to 10%.
But 75 million is a ton. I don'tlike math either, but if k's is okay at 40 million with 10%, doesn't that roughly equal 75 million with even 1% which you guys have at least some of the time.
i'm sure you're sick of assvice too, so i'm sorry if i offended you.
again, this SUCKS. and i'm so, so sorry.
I believe it is still possible, but it is good that you both are open to other options. I just want you to become parents, whatever path may get you there.
I think that there is still a chance of success with this IUI. I am sorry that this is happening to you, but I am confident that one way or another you will be parents.
i am so, so sorry, LIW. i so wish i could change this news for you and Mr. LIW.
email me if you want to chat...
xoxo
Difficult news indeed, I'm so sorry LIW. Without knowing all the details of your story, I would have thought that IUI was a pretty poor treatment choice for you right now, but that ICSI is a real possibility, hoping that this zero result was an anomaly. I hope that the grieving you are doing is over the loss of an easier process, and doesn't have to be over the termination of your hopes for a biological child.
Oh, LIW, I haven't checked your blog in a while. We have male infertility. The whole infertility just sucks.
So sorry to hear about the test results. This must be very difficult for you both.
Hugs,
D
I'm so sorry. When the news is unexpected it is just that much harder to deal with. You guys have options, but it still takes effort to adjust to a new reality. I'm really sorry.
okay, i'm going to say something that might sound insane or at least insensitive, but in a weird way, there is a silver lining. the fact is that if morphology turns out to be a continued problem, IVF w/ ICSI could be a very good option for you, and knowing that now could save you loads of failed procedures and allt hat entails (emotionally, financially, and time).
we had a similar situation when finally after 5 years, we found out with IVF #1 that there was no fertilization. if only we'd known that years ago! but armed with that info, the docs then knew to go to ICSI, and it worked. we hear all the time how it only takes one. well, with ICSI it really does, it allows the doc to choose the one best sperm to inject into each egg, giving you WAAAAAY better odds of success.
i totally relate to grieving the loss of his fertility on top of yours, and i know what a huge emotional undertaking it is to accept moving on to IVF and i'm glad you're not having to go there just yet--there is still hope. but thought it might help to keep in the back of your mind that this is awful news could turn out to be just the ammunition you need to solve the problem.
Adoption was a difficult decision for my husband and I to come to, and it took a while. I think you have to be truly ready to commit to it and move forward, and you'll know when you're ready.
I'm at the point where I'm thankful that adoption is an option, rather than hating the process and the new waiting period it gives us. I allow myself to think about the future with a child again and it gives me some peace.
Take care.
I really relate with you altho our situations are different. I lost a partner 8 years ago and until a few months ago I still have not been able to look at young mothers with children without tears due to my broken dreams. I've recently begun to pursue adoption altho I'm single and it's given me a peace I never expected (even though it won't be a baby). Newly aware of the 1000s and 1000s of children in my own country who leave "the system" in their mid-teens for the streets without ever knowing they were loved or wanted makes me wish everyone would adopt a child! I can now throw baby showers and attend dedications without crying because I have renewed dreams and a sense of purpose to my desires. I want to encourage you for how you've dealt with grief, and wish you the best with the motherhood and parenting you enter, however that happens. And I'm glad you and your partner have each other to support thru it all! :)
Post a Comment