So, on top of taking such short - and few naps - every day, Baby C has decided to give up the one and only 4 or 5-hour stretch of sleep every night. He hasn't slept longer than 3 hours in one stretch since last Tuesday or Wednesday night. I am exhausted and have spent much of this morning in tears. He seems to be exhibiting the characteristics of a growth spurt - interrupted sleep, eating more often, frustrated at feedings, irritable, etc. He better plump up after all of this. Let's hope my sanity survives!!!
A friend of mine bought me "Sle.eping Through the Night" as a gift when she learned I was pregnant. I know that she adheres to the very strict schedule approach so I hadn't really picked it up because that's not how I want to parent. I hope to help Baby C develop good habits and hope to live according to regular patterns, but I simply refuse to believe that any human being can or should be regulated on strict eating and sleeping schedules.
But, in desperation, I started reading the book last night. I do plan to try many of the suggestions. I realized that Baby C needs a positive association in order to help him soothe himself to sleep. So I will hold a great little blankey when I feed him from now on. And right now he is in crib in the hopes that he will take a nap. I go in periodically to soothe him but he's clearly tired and I want him to learn how to go to sleep on his own. IT's not as if he never falls asleep without eating or rocking or soothing - he does. But it needs to be the norm instead of the exception.
Please don't judge me, but I really want to let him cry it out. Every time I go in his room, I want to SCREAM and yell. I did yell at the dog at one point and I emailed my husband begging him to come home early so that I can take a long nap. I just really want to speed up the process of him learning how to self-soothe. I desperately need to start getting 5-6 hours of sleep in a row again. A couple of job leads look promising and I simply don't see how I could work given the type of sleep I am getting. I went for a second interview yesterday that involved a 2-hour strategy exercise and I was utterly exhausted when I got home. And then slept in 1-hour increments through the night.
MY thought is that Baby C is overtired, too, since he hasn't made up for the sleep he is losing at night. So I am dedicated to getting him to take a nap this afternoon. He took a typically short one this morning but it is clearly not enough. The book said that it can take as long as an hour the first time that you try to get them to self-soothe by checking on them every 5 minutes or so. I am willing to try that.
I don't even know if this post makes sense...mostly I needed to vent. But can anyone promise me that this will not last forever? That I will once again be able to sleep for longer than 2-hour intervals and that he will eventually sleep through an entire night??????
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

11 comments:
It gets better. Really! It does sound like a growth spurt and with the positive reinforcement, you should be getting more sleep soon.
Just remember…it’s a phase. It will change. It will get better.
And crying out is actually a good method. Our daughter seems to not want to go to bed until about 9 p.m. (she does sleep through the night tho—she is 9 months old—you will get there!—they usually sleep through the night by the time they are 3-4 months old (if not sooner!)
If its after 9 p.m. and she is not going down normally, we then let her cry it out for about 20 mins. And she finally goes to sleep. Its nerve wracking, but it works.
BTW, there are times even now when I only get 4-5 hours sleep and I have to work. I usually catch up on the weekends…
Hang in there!
It will get better and may get worse again, but will ultimately get better...we've had similar issues with Julian since birth - he's about 4 1/2 month now. He had another really bad sleep regression issues for a few weeks just at 4 months...it was terrible. We got sleep books and started letting him cry for short periods of time...to get him to learn to self-soothe. So far it's getting better - some nights are better than others...I hope the suggestions in your books help too!!!
Eventually...
If nothing else, at least when they hit puberty.
Kidding.
Hang in there.
I will not judge you EVER! You are hte mom and you get to do to your parenting way. We do not have a regemented schedule either. I just couldn't live like that either.
It gets better. For us, it got great then around 4-6 months there was a sleep regression. Baby C could be hitting that 4 month sleep regression. We had a few weeks of off and on sleeping. Teething was also another reason we had some sleep issues. I am sorry.
also in my very limited experience: I have noticed that we have sleep interuptions a few days or a day before MT hits a milestone. (I didnt notice it at first until my husband and I were talking about it) It's ok if you think I am crazy
Not that I have alot of faith in many books, but I found some interest in the book the Wonder Weeks
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=122&id=2312
http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Weeks-Phases-Magical-Forward/dp/1579546455
http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-predictable-age-linked-development-characterized/dp/9079208019/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_img?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1579546455&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KPCD1S0780V6SNY0CE1
So with you on the sleeping. Sweetness was the best sleeper in the beginning and starting around 6 weeks ago it all went in the toilet. Some nights she wakes up as much as 10 times. I wish I had some advice but I too am hitting the sleep books this weekend!
Good luck!
http://www.livingcontrolsystems.com/wonder_weeks/content_ww.html#ch04
(a free viewing of hte book)
ok only one more link. I thought I had your email but I don't.
Four months is a typical growth spurt and sleep regression time -- so hang in there.
Totally okay to let him cry at this age. My mom raised 6 kids. One of the best pieces of advice she gave me is this ... If you know they've been fed, you know they're dry, and you know they are tired -- put them in the crib and walk away.
I like the Weisbluth book on sleep because it gives multiple options about the cry it out thing. Plus it has good pointers on what to watch for and "normal" or typical schedules based on the baby's developmental stage.
It will get better sweetie. Don't let the guilt get you!
Oh I feel for you so much right now - this is exactly where we were a few weeks ago. We are in a better place now... it took just over two weeks til we turned the corner and started to see some real progress. I don't know if it's possible to speed up the process. I was desperate to do so b/c of starting my A-exams last week (supposedly). I know you've stopped by my blog so you know what we've been doing... we were on the verge of CIO when she turned a corner and it's been getting better since then. But yeah, I was so frustrated one morning I literally banged my head against the wall. It's so hard.
It is a phase. Seriously. My kids were both non-sleepers. Hell, they still are nonsleepers. I had cold little feet on my legs last night.
When C gets all worked up and you want to scream? Put him in a safe place, his crib? and walk away. Seriously! I had PPD and it was the best thing to do. WALK AWAY AND TAKE A BREATHER.
Will he scream? yes. Will he scream whether or not you are there? yes. So take a quick break..regroup. He has no other way to express himself.
I personally couldn't do the CIO, but that was me. Others do fine with it.
DO what works for you!
I know from your next post that things are looking up, but just know that it will definitely get even better! I am a CIO-er and I will tell you it's the best thing we've done so far as parents. It's hideous while it's happening, but once it's done you will see some amazing changes in your life. Your lil one is probably a little too young for full blown CIO, but there's nothing wrong with some "fuss it out" as we called it at that age. Good luck!!
Post a Comment