Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still waiting. Contractions come and go - nothing as painful as the ones I had on Monday night - but no progress. I started working from home because my 45-60 minute commute each way (mostly in traffic) has become a bit daunting. Mr. LIW asked if I thought I could brake safely and pull over if I had really strong contractions in traffic. I am really not sure so I am staying safe by staying home.
Yesterday, I was ready to crawl out of my skin with frustration. But, as usual, a session with Susan last night helped. I don't really have a choice at this point - I simply have to wait. I am starting to consider the issues involved in induction in case I make it to 41 weeks. I know that there is a lot of support for waiting until 42 weeks but I feel like that's too risky for an IVF baby. I can see waiting 2weeks for a natural pregnancy because there's uncertainty as to when conception took place but we know exactly - well, within in a day or so - when LL was conceived. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? I plan to ask my OB about that at my appointment today but I expect that she will postpone the discussion until I find myself at 41 weeks. I have already shared how nonchalant she is about all of this.
I guess I should be grateful that she is not typical in the sense of forcing me to consider induction earlier rather than later but I can't help but be frustrated by her comfort with inaction.
I am concerned about having to induce. I don't want to be monitored the entire time, I want the process to be as natural as possible, and I know that induction increases my chances of needing a C-section. I don't know if all of these contractions I have had is a good or bad sign: good that my body is preparing and knows what to do or bad that my body is trying but can't get things into gear.
Either tonight or tomorrow I plan to research induction more extensively. I want to know my options and the issues involved if it comes to that.
How ironic is it that it was so hard to get pregnant and now it seems so hard to get unpregnant? It feels like, no matter what I do, I can't get my body to just simply cooperate. I guess I have to hope that LL and my body will shift into gear soon....
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

7 comments:
Hang in there! It surely is amazing when it's time and you're "not ready". (My first child was 20 days past his EDD, and I know a thing or two about being late! Thank goodness they don't let anyone go THAT late these days!)
The best part here is that your little one will be good and ready when it is time! No early worries for you from now on.
Just rest or nest, whichever comes next, right? Sending you plenty of easy labor vibes!!!
Outcomes for babies remain good up until 42 weeks. Each OB is different as far as how long past they want you to go until an induction. My OB is very crunchy and laid back and will not schedule one until 42 weeks- unless of course, like my son, there are signs of distress. My OB does twice weekly non-stress tests after 40 weeks.
Look up what a Bishop score is. A good Bishop score means that an induction is more likely to be successful.
If you end up needing cervical ripening, my midwife had me taking EPO and using it once a day as a suppository. Didn't work- but I had other issues as well. Prostaglandins like Cervidil are typical. If they offer to use Cytotec- run away. There are bad outcomes for mom and baby with it. It is not FDA approved for use in induction, but some docs will use it. We did a foley bulb induction with me. It got me to 5 cm overnight. Uncomfortable going in, I admit, but it got the job done.
I don't have any advice for you, but I'm thinking of you and LL. Congratulations on 40 weeks, I hope by 41 weeks you're holding your precious little boy in your arms!
my advice to you is be careful in the research of inductions. you can heighten your already heighted anxiety. i would try to just go with your gut reactions, ask your dr questions about how they induce. there are trillions of different ways, theories and options, If you do research induction, you will want to research the way your dr does it.
you hang in there!i am thinking progressing thoughts for you and LL
if there is something you aren't comfortable with (like being hooked up to monitors and not able to move around) ask you dr about having such options of some freedom.
i was not induced but i was hooked up to monitors. i found strength in hearing MT's heartbeat though. his rythmic heartbeat was my focusing tool
Putting my 2 cents in--I would try (gasp) to hold on and wait. Induction ain't fun. I know. My first I was induced and the monitoring thing--very very much in the way. I was stuck in basically 2 positions the whole time. AND it hurts WAY more than normal contractions. and...I went through 12 hours of that--and still had an emergency C-Section.
Not trying to scare you--cuz in the end, you will get through it no matter what happens!
Wishing you LUCK!
I think first children frequently have longer gestational periods, and I wouldn't worry at all about it being an IVF beginning. I don't think that would have any bearing on your risk factors now. Hopefully you got some good information about the risk factors from your doctor. If LL's getting too big, or showing signs of distress, those would be good reasons to induce.
My SIL was induced after being a week late, and she regrets it. There was nothing wrong with the baby, the doctor seemed tired of waiting, and of course so was she, so she went along with it. The contractions were more painful, she had to be monitored all the time, and she basically felt like her labor ended up being much more difficult than had she gone into labor naturally. She said she would have chosen to wait, had she known.
Post a Comment