Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

The Ever-Illusive Peace

The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality

Monday, January 12, 2009

It has been a long time, I know.....

I just haven't felt a strong enough urge to blog. Life is relatively good yet largely all-consuming. Baby C is growing, though he is still low on the chart for weight. The pediatrician isn't too happy with the 7% percentile, but I keep telling her that Mr. LIW was a naturally skinny person until college. I have considered changing pediatricians because, in all honesty, I don't really like her. She's the type of person that I simply wouldn't be friends with. I feel like she is insecure and plays on my own worries about Baby C. I am going to stick with her in the meantime because her location is incredibly convenient (which is a big deal when you live in Boston), but we are planning to move north of Boston in the next year or so and I will certainly change then. I am trying to schedule appointments so that Mr. LIW can come along because he puts everything into perspective better than I do.

We don't plan to put our house on the market until I find a new job, which I don't expect to be anytime soon given how bad the market is around here. I have a handful of leads but I have played this game before and have learned not to get my hopes up. It's alot like infertility, really. One day something looks promising - the next day hopes are dashed. I am veteran and a little bit jaded at this point. So I am trying to regard job searching as simply another task, like cleaning the house. It works some of the time but it continues to cause me a good amount of stress.

But overall, I am ok. Once I get unemployment (after a week, I STILL can't get through to apply over the phone. The lines are busy!), things will be fine. It seems that I can get 30 weeks of unemployment, which is comforting. Since MR. LIW and I cut back significantly once I got the "you are being laid off" call, and the company paid my maternity leave through the end of 2008, we are fine financially. Unemployment will make it entirely manageable.

Even though there are parts of being home full-time that I don't enjoy, I am surprised to find that I like it over half of the time. It's great to witness every minor and major change in Baby C. I absolutely live for his smile. I love the fact that, most of the time, I only have to catch his eye and smile for him to reciprocate. He's a very vocal baby and is really starting to speak up when we read to him. He's incredibly curious, which makes getting him to nap while with other people or in other places (unless he is being rolled in a carriage) nearly impossible. It doesn't appear that he will ever be a regular long napper during the day - he takes a series of 25- to 30- minute naps throughout the day - but he has been sleeping better at night. As long as I can prevent him from getting overtired, there are few meltdowns.

Parenting is a challenge, for sure. I continue to feel like I am guessing most of the time. But I can't tell you how grateful I am that I waited until my 30's to have a child. I know I am a better mother because of it. And, if I was going to be laid off for a period of time, I couldn't have planned it better. At least I have the best reason in the world to be home. I truly love being a mother. And I love this little man SO much more than I ever thought I could love another person. I would, without a moment's hesitation, give my life for this little guy. He's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I realize that I haven't added any pics of Baby C. Mr. LIW has the pictures saved in a way that cannot be easily accessed. I need to get him to prepare a couple for me to upload. Stay tuned because I plan to do that very soon.

Love to all of you!!

7 comments:

BigP's Heather said...

I would change doctors. Not everyone is in the 97th percentile - that is life. Especially when he comes from someone who was super skinny. Odds are, it is just his make-up. If he isn't having any problems she should back off.

Deborah said...

Any advice about the 30-minute naps? My son, who is the same age, does that too, and I feel he's often overtired and cranky. When he was littler I just held him while he slept, but now he's too heavy.

And glad to hear you're enjoying the jobless time! I think you can try contacting unemployment online, or go to your local career center (if you're in the city, I can tell you where to go b/c I work at one). Just show up early.

Tara said...

Great to hear an update from you.

I agree with your desire to change doctors. Nothing worse than someone making you unecessarily second guess yourself or your baby's health. That's garbage.

Tracy said...

I feel like I missed a blog post or something...

Sorry to hear about your job, but it does sound like the best possible scenario. Glad you are enjoying your me with your baby!

And, yes, we want pictures!

Delenn said...

Glad to hear from you!

I am glad you are okay with being home full time. I had a similar thing happen to me when I had my son. I was laid off right after my maternity leave, so I got 5 glorious months with him. But it also proved to me that I would not/could not be a stay at home mom. When I did get back to the work force, I did feel great that I had spent that much time with him, but it did also feel good to have my time in the work force (and the money helped too).

BTW, I live north of Boston, so if you need a name of a good Pedi, let me know. I LOVE mine and he is great with both my kids.

AwkwardMoments said...

sounds like other than the job and the dr things are going well. so glad for an update.

if you want a reccommendation, my childhood friend is on some pediatrician board at one of the hospitals in boston.

docgrumbles said...

Thanks for the update.

I am hoping for pics when possible!