I didn't have time to update before I left for Mexico on the 20th - sorry about that. I really appreciate all of your concern. Every time I read the comments on my posts, I mutter to myself, "these people are SO awesome!" Seriously, you are the best and always a bright spot in my day!!!!
I have SO much to share.
Ok, first, my 16w belly shot is coming soon. Mr. LIW and I decided to take it on the beach in Mexico and I think you will agree that growth has occurred. I still think I am a bit small for how far along I am but it is probably because I continue to struggle to consume enough calories. My appetite still has not fully returned, even though I don't feel nauseous. Thank goodness for vanilla milkshakes, which I consume almost nightly. And I purposely choose full-fat items now, like cream cheese. I know that the baby is growing fat under his/her skin right now so I want to make sure I make that possible. My guess is that the prenatal vitamins - which my NP said I don't really have to take each and every day anymore so I take them 4 or 5 nights per week (which my intestines appreciate!)- will help, too.
What's absolutely shocking to me is that in two days I will be 18w. And in roughly 2 weeks I will be halfway through this pregnancy. It's not that time has gone quickly by any means. Not at all. I feel like this is the slowest period in my life. But I still am shocked by each and every milestone. Which shows me how deeply ingrained the belief that Little Life won't make it really is.
As for Little Life, I assume things are going well in there. We received the results of the sequential screening tests and everything looks good. Of the abnormalities tested for, our greatest risk is for Trisomy 18 - but the risk was
.1%. The lowest risk is for Down's - and that's .001%. Of course, I was hoping for 1 in a million but, really, that's only because I am obsessive! At least the greatest risk, which is still small, is for an abnormality which typically presents deformities that are obvious via u/s. Everything has looked great so far. Our final diagnostic u/s is on May 5th. If things look great there, then I will stop worrying, right? HAHAHAHA.
Seriously, though, I am starting to believe that we might actually have a baby in October. I even let myself watch "Bringing Ba.by Home" shows on T.LC yesterday (I caught a cold/virus at the end of my trip and now think I am fighting bronchitis so I stayed home to rest yesterday.) It was a big step for me. And this morning on the way to work I started getting nervous about all of things that I will have to do in preparation - esp find daycare. I can't yet bring myself to look into daycare centers but I DID buy a painting for the baby's room from a local Mexican artist. He painted an underwater scene, per my request, which will fit nicely with the theme we have chosen. Maybe after the u/s on the 5th I will start looking into daycare centers.
But here's the next issue....
I don't yet know when I will need daycare. The Friday before I left for Mexico, after a long week catering to grateful but spoiled Dubai physicians, I went back to the PR firm for a second set of interviews. I was nervous because I was thoroughly exhausted by then but I learned from the recruiter at the end of my visit that all 6 people who interviewed me are really excited about bringing me on. They can't give me the money I asked for but, honestly, I asked for more than I figured the position paid. But the good news is the money is definitely more than I would make if I became a permanent employee where I am now. PLUS the benefits are waaay better - 17 days vacation to start, 6 sick days, 100% medical and dental coverage, 100% life insurance coverage, etc. After 5 years, I will be eligible for a 6-week sabbatical in addition to vacation time, which by then will be 4 weeks.
AND DID I MENTION THE FACT THAT I WOULD NO LONGER BE "AN ASSISTANT" TO ANYONE????
I also liked everyone I met with. We seem to have similar work and management styles. Come to find out, they have been considering me for positions at levels higher than the one for which I applied. So I will start out as an Account Supervisor, which means I will manage 8-10 people. They loved all of my answers to the 100 questions I received re: my management style. I am a very supportive and appreciative manager and a dedicated team player. I treat people with respect and make it clear by my actions that I don't ask anyone to do anything that I wouldn't be willing to do myself. I was told that that fits the culture there. Two of the women I met with also brought up the issue of life/work balance and assured me that people are not expected to regularly work overtime or to stay late if their work is finished (that was my experience at my last PR job.) Two people actually said that they are not stressed when they go home. That sometime the workload feels overwhelming but it is always followed by slower periods so you can catch your breath. That's how I like it.
So, all in all, it seems like a good or even a great fit. PR is not where I ultimately want to be but that's ok. At least there is room to move up at this company and the expectation is that I will be promoted within a year. I had to exaggerate my PR (and non government-relations) experience a wee bit but the stuff that isn't innate at this point is not rocket science. The strategic side - in terms of how to communicate and persuade people - comes more naturally to me. So I can learn which publications and online resources should be targeted without too much effort. The part that I don't know as well is the easier part, more skill-based than talent.
I told the recruiter via email yesterday about the pregnancy, which may or may not have been obvious to them. She was so congratulatory and excited, which put my mind at ease. So the next step is to talk to the HR person about maternity leave. Massachusetts requires 8 weeks after 3 months of employment so I will negotiate for the extra 4 weeks, which will take me through the holidays (since LL is due October 2nd). Since they were a bit apologetic that they can't meet my salary request, AND the company prides itself on being progressive, I think they will meet my request. If not, I would settle for 10 weeks if necessary.
No matter what, how could I NOT take that job? Especially after my vacation, I realize how much I truly dislike where I am. I have made the best of it, and there are parts I like (mostly people really), but to come back to having to set up meetings just doesn't do it for me. Having authority often intimidates me, but I almost always rise to the challenge, which almost always improves my self esteem. And at least I will be intellectually challenged more often. That alone is priceless for me. That is what I live for.....
Well, and for Little Life.
I am a bit bummed that I am not experiencing the "fluttering" that everyone says typically starts happening after 16 weeks. The NP told me not to worry if I didn't feel anything until 22 weeks since this is my first. I have felt things that I *think* are from Little Life but they don't fit the "butterfly" description. In my 16th week, I felt a pain of sorts and then felt a ripple which definitely felt like a body part being dragged across my abdomen. Since then, I haven't felt rippling but I have gotten pains (that are cramp-like in intensity) but truly feel like the baby has kicked my insides, especially my cervix. It doesn't hurt too much or anything but it doesn't feel like the cramps I used to get that I attributed to my uterus growing and stretching. I still get those kind of cramps sometimes but more and more of the pains feel like I am being kicked. I really think that the baby likes to kick my cervix because I get shooting pains that extend down into my vagi.nal area. I have had round ligament pains so I know the difference. Well, I guess I think I know the difference.
Does any of this resonate with anyone? I SO want to know that I am feeling Little Life move. I am seriously considering buying a doppler at this point. I truly think hearing the hb regularly will help. And I hope Little Life kicks me while we are looking at him/her on the 5th. That way I can make the connection.
As for figuring out what is going on "down there" on Little Life, Mr. LIW has begrudgingly agreed to find out. He is, of course, hoping that LL has his/her legs crossed for the u/s on the 5th but has decided to defer to me because I "have gone through so much more than" he has for this pregnancy. I guess the guilt trip I used a few weeks ago worked. :-) Seriously, though, this is the kind of person that Mr. LIW is and why I married him.
He is becoming more and more excited about this baby. He seriously cannot wait and is not deferred by all the horror stories I tell to try to prepare him. The sleeplessnes. The crying that can't be stopped. Etc. Etc. He says "we will get through it like anything else." He really is like that. He takes things as they come. PLUS he handles exhaustion 100x better than I do.
Which brings me to another point....
I still plan to try breastfeeding. The NP said that I may have trouble since my nip.ples are partially inverted. My sister's are, too, which is why it didn't work for her.
BUT
I truly like the idea of being able to take longer breaks from Little Life. Please don't misunderstand - I already love this little person with an intensity I have never before experienced. AND would give my life in a heartbeat if it meant saving him/her. But I also know how important sleep is to my mental health. I am at high risk for post-partum depression, even though I am staying on my citalo.pram throughout the pregnancy. Even now, an adequate amount of sleep is vital to keeping my depression in check. So the thought of Mr. LIW being able to take over for a 4-hour stretch is, well, hugely attractive to me.
I am going to look into trying to do both - breastfeed and formula. And, if the BF doesn't work, we will go to formula exclusively. Do I feel a bit guilty about this? Well, sure. But I also know that depression will inhibit my ability to nurture my baby, which is ultimately more important.
And Mr. LIW is definitely interested in feeding and bonding with the baby as much as possible. He will be a hands-on father without a doubt. I will likely spend more time with the baby since his job often requires long hours but I have seen him with my nieces and other kids and he is well....awesome with them. Kids love him because he treats them with respect, doesn't talk down to them, and stays calm at all times. I need him to balance out my more worried nature. Again, why I married him.
I guess we are truly on our way to parenthood. I now ask permission to be shallow for a moment.
The day before I left for Mexico, I got up the courage to try on C-cup bra.s. It was tough. I was worried that they would be too large (I wear Bs)and I would be disheartened. But, man, they fit like a glove. God, do I love my cleavage now!! I love how they actually move when I walk. I hope I win some kind of cosmic lottery and get to keep these two indefinitely. They help to balance out my pear-shaped frame. Well, they would if I didn't have a belly in the middle! :-)
My belly continues to get harder but the slight layer of flabbiness on top remains. I can't wait until I am big enough so that's gone.
Ok, I *think* things will be relatively slow here at work this week so I will aim to catch up on all of your blogs. I may not have time to comment on all of them but I *will* be reading........
Love to all of you!!!
The Ever-Illusive Peace
Trying to choose a positive reality
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Sorry...I was on vacation last week
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sharing the Space....
- Blurb This
- Certifiably Infertile
- Crazy? or Pregnant
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Disenchanted with the Reality that is My Life
- Egg Drop Soup
- Fertility Challenged in Florida
- Fortune Cookie Follies
- Henry Street
- Infertility and Hope
- Infertility Just Sucks
- Life from Here: Musings from the Edge
- Life In a Pitri Dish
- Looking for two lines
- Losing the Baby Wait
- Mission Impossible or Adventures in Infertility
- My Journey to Mommyhood
- My Prayers His Promises
- One Hardy Swimmer
- One Miracle Needed
- Our Journey to Parenthood
- Outlandish Notions
- Reproductive Jeans
- Searching for Hope
- Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters
- The Island
- The Making of Baby V
- The Mama Wannabe
- The Maybe Baby
- The Secret Garden
- The Sweet Life
- The Trials of Trace in Adoption La-La Land
- Un-Simple Procreation
- Wishing Bee
- Wizard of Ovulation

15 comments:
WHAA? 8 weeks in MA?? Hell, why doesn't MY workplace know this? I got 6 and I had to use vacation time for that. 8 is for C section only here!
BTW- if you go formula DON'T FEEL GUILTY. Okay? You are still feeding your child. You will raise a fine child on formula. Sure, breastmilk is best, but that doesn't mean breastfeeding is best for everyone.
Email me if you want to discuss.
Hey girl! I keep checking back to see an update! Glad there was one today. I have some advice on the inverted nipples b/c I had them too. These things are LIFESAVERS, cherry flavored. They are shells you can wear to pull the nipple out. I wish someone would have given them to me a month in advance so my nipples would be ready, I think it would have made a WORLD of difference. Anyway, you can get them at Babies R' Us and I will also put a link in this comment. I would wear them a month before you deliver and you will want to be my best friend! It'll make it so much easier.
http://store.babycenter.com/product/code/3015.do?scid=SSE:MSN&srccode=cii_9686437&cpncode=08-44170946-2
Can't wait to find out what you are having! I'm going to guess girl!
So glad to see you back and that you had a wonderful time.
Good luck with the possiblity of a new job. Looking for daycare sucks - I think I signed up around 18-20 weeks and was shocked that there was a 9 month waiting period.... wtf? It is very strange thinking about care for my baby before i am 1000% confident I am going to have a baby to put in day care.
I love your theme - it was one of our favorites- I bet the painting is nice.
Most people I know do bf and formula feed together. I can't comment much since I have only seen it done. I am hoping that it is also an option for myself.
I can't wait to see more pics. I deswcribed Mini's first movements as "ripples". It felt like what I imagined the ocean's tide would feel like in my belly Good luck Monday
One piece of assvice: I hear that at around 18 weeks you can use a stethoscope to hear the heartbeat and they are way cheaper...I don't actually know this to be true, but a friend of a friend of a friend - you know.
Also, breastfeeding is great - but so is formula. It is so much more advanced these days that it has tons of good stuff for your baby. Like you said, taking care of your baby so it is well fed and healthy is most important - not whether a human or a manufactured nipple is feeding the child.
So glad to hear from you and to hear that all is well.
I have no advice to offer since I am almost 11 weeks behind you - but I offer you all my support and thank you for the supportive comment you left on my blog today. It really meant a lot to me.
xoxoxo
Welcome back! Your likely new position sounds like a great move for you, and I'm jealous of that maternity leave!
Oh, yay! I'm so glad you are back.
I have to admit, I need to go back and reread your post more thoroughly, but for now, I just need to welcome you back...
I did read the first half, and the job sounds awesome. Considering what you've gone through where you are, honestly, it sounds perfect.
Whoah! What an update!
Yep, you seem to be on your way to motherhood.
Good luck with job improvements!
I hope you get a wonderful new job that makes you very very happy (and I hope it comes with the extra 4 weeks that you'd like)!
Hooray for a wonderful vacation!
I bet you'll be feeling definite movement before you know it. If not, it's still early.
I can't wait to see your belly pics!
Mexico sounds like fun. Can’t wait to see belly shots!
The new job sounds great!!
Regarding the fluttering…I swear I didn’t feel it really until about 20 weeks. And, then , once I felt it for sure, I thought to myself, “yeah, I’ve been feeling that for a while.” I am starting to feel (almost 22 weeks) a few harder “kicks” here and there. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about it. Before long you should feel the movement, I bet. Honestly, what made the difference for me was my 20 week u/s and watching them move on the screen and then going, OK, I do feel something inside me right now, too.
I am still undecided on breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding. Frankly, it’s a personal choice and you shouldn’t feel pressured by anyone. Do what feels right and makes you most comfortable. That is what's ultimately best for the baby.
Gotta love the b.oob growth. I was already large up top, so mine are just ridiculous at this point. Glad you are enjoying yours!!
I am so glad to hear from you that everything is going wonderfully. Your life sounds like you've just really fallen on good times right now and that is such a blessing! I am thrilled for you!
Keep us updated on the job situation, it sounds just perfect.
*hugs*
welcome back!
about the movement - I didn't feel anything regular until 22 weeks. It's early still.
And also about BFing - tow things. I have a flat nipple too, and at the hospital they gave me a nipple shield in order to help start Babu O BFing. Which we have successfully weaned. So it's possible.
And I am able to get breaks - buy a good pump. Because I pump and have J give a bottle, even though we need to exclusively BF our baby (digestive issues).
Either way, though - success is something YOU define when it comes to BFing. If it includes formula - then so be it! :)
I'm glad that things are going well.
I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure the baby isn't strong enough to kick your cervix to cause pain. I've had that shooting cervix pain,too- it's just your uterus stretching and putting pressure on your already-sensitive cervix.
You'll feel the baby soon enough, and believe me- it isn't painful! It's the most wonderful feeling in the world. Can't wait to hear about it from you. :)
I was wondering where you went to....
I date my first movement feeling from 16 weeks- though that is in retrospect. For about a month I was feeling what I thought of as "Jaws moving beneath the water". As if something was just beneath the surface and disturbing it slightly, but not really sure. Occasionally I'd feel a tiny pop- but was it my IBS? I couldn't tell. By 20 weeks I could feel little kicks regularly. Now at 40 weeks, the kid rocks my entire abdomen from side to side.
I second the use of breast shields for flat nipples. It may also be good to attend a few la Leche meetings at the end of your pregnancy, to get some tips and a local resource for issues.
congrats on your new job! sounds like it's the perfect fit for you!
as far as what you are feeling with LL well I can completely relate to the pain of round ligaments stretching. And so far all I've felt is what I can only descbribe as pokes here and there and on occasion bubbles. I don't get them consistantly and they started when I was 19 weeks and I'm not 20 weeks. Don't worry it WILL happen soon you may feel bubbles, pokes or what others describe as ripples. Hope that helps to relieve your worries about that.
Post a Comment